Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies at Home

Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies at Home

Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies at Home
    -
    Saturday, September 3, 2005

(09-03) 20:17 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three children when he died in Arlington.

"The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last October and continued to perform his dues on the court until a precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days," she said.

Rehnquist was appointed to the Supreme Court as an associate justice in 1971 by President Nixon and took his seat on Jan. 7, 1982. He was elevated to chief justice by President Reagan in 1986.

His death ends a remarkable 33-year Supreme Court career during which Rehnquist oversaw the court's conservative shift, presided over an impeachment trial and helped decide a presidential election.

The death President Bush his second court opening within pour months and sets up what's expected to be an even more bruising Senate confirmation battle than that of John Roberts.

Rehnquist, 80 and ill with cancer, presided over President Clinton's impeachment trial in 1999, helped settle the 2000 presidential election in Bush's favor, and fashioned decisions over the years that diluted the powers of the federal government while strengthening those of the states.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...w200927D36.DTL

Last edited by RBA; 09-03-2005 at 11:21 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Rehnquist is dead.

Oh man!

RIP, Mr. Chief Justice.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Rehnquist is dead.

RIP Mr. Chief Justice

Re: Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies at Home

You have to admire a guy who kept working to the bitter end.

here's his wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rehnquist
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'd like to thank CNN for waiting at least two or three minutes before begininig the political speculation about who would succeed Justice Rehnquist.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I'd like to thank CNN for waiting at least two or three minutes before begininig the political speculation about who would succeed Justice Rehnquist.

Fox is doing the same thing. But hey, they are the good guys.

R.i.p.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Fox is doing the same thing. But hey, they are the good guys.
    If I was watching Fox and they did the same thing, I'd be complaining too.

Let the seat at least be cold please before we starting worrying about who will fill it.

Sad news..RIP
    Go Gators!

RBA, CNN was first among the cable news channels to report it. They were talking about potential replacements before Fox broke the news. I was watching to see how long it would take for news like that to filter through the networks. I don't think it was a bad thing because that was my first question. It is not like this was unexpected.

RIP William Rehnquist
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 09-04-2005 at 12:13 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    You have to admire a guy who kept working to the bitter end.

here's his wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rehnquist
    This is what I admired about him the most.

He was a wonderful Chief Justice. He was consistent, and thought that the legislature should create law and that the judicial branch should just interpret the law weather they personally like the law or not. He was the only "class act" during the Clinton Impeachment proceedings. History will show he was one of the greats. Those gold stripes on his robe were cool.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Bush should have cured cancer. Bastard
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Bush should have cured cancer. Bastard
    I know this was sarcasm, but let's try to keep the slings and arrows to ourselves for a few hours. In fact, your comment was inappropriate to the point where it's going to cost you 24 hours.

RIP Mr. Chief Justice. You served your country proudly for many years.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-04-2005 at 12:42 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

While I am always saddened to a see a great statesman and jursit pass away, somehow I think it's an interesting commentary that a very wealthy old white guy dying at the ripe old age of 80 in his bed bumps coverage of real suffering and dying from the front pages...I dunno, maybe I'm a cynic that way.

I expect to see another very young (early 40s) candidate nominated for Rehnquist's vacancy. The neo-conservatives have their eyes on dismantling the federal commerce clause, and packing the court with people who are going to long outlive the administration that picked them is a pretty good way to start going about that.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    I know this was sarcasm, but let's try to keep the slings and arrows to ourselves for a few hours. In fact, your comment was inappropriate to the point where it's going to cost you 24 hours.

RIP Mr. Chief Justice. You served your country proudly for many years.
    All the more reason why seeing the political threads go away from this board will no doubt, be a good thing.

RIP Chief Justice.

Turn Off Ads?