Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

Quote Originally Posted by capndees
    Yes, that would be nice.

I could also use my signature to show how much I look down on people who disagree with my beliefs, but I choose to be better than that. This is, after all, a BASEBALL forum.

Next time take it private. Then I won't have to yell at you like I am right now.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

A question to steer the thread back to the original topic... I got the impression from the original post that new political topics would be closed immediately, yet we've had several new threads since this post that seemed political. Am I guessing wrong about what constitutes a political thread, or did I misunderstand the terms of the moratorium?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    All,
    We also donít want to feel like we are required to read these threads just for the sole purpose of seeing if the rules are being followed. We want the freedom to not read these threads. Posting these threads on ochreís board will give us that freedom. There will be little to no moderation on ochreís board, so for those of you who complain about freedom of speech, your wish will come true.

Holy crap, Boss. I really never thought about the fact that you were bascially forced to read all those threads to moderate them.

That's cruel and unusual punishment!!!!! I'll have you know I've personally read here that it's a blatant abuse of your constitutional rights!!!! Man, you guys must really feel disenfranchised!!!!

Honestly, looking at it like that, I'm surprised you let them go as long as you have.

This is a perfectly reasonable decision, in my opinion. You poor guys have suffered enough.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    A question to steer the thread back to the original topic... I got the impression from the original post that new political topics would be closed immediately, yet we've had several new threads since this post that seemed political. Am I guessing wrong about what constitutes a political thread, or did I misunderstand the terms of the moratorium?
    Policy doesn't start until 9-15-05.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I disagree with this completely.

One of the main reasons I come here is for the lively discussions as many "mainstream" forums either ban religious/political debate outright or if it is allowed, most of those members are complete morons with nothing of value or substance to say.

Now with RedsZone essentially throwing their hands up and walking away, it just seems as if the forum will just be another mainstream, "kid friendly" and somewhat boring forum where the "discussions" will be about nothing of importance.

So now we simply have to go "elsewhere." That's what some could have done from the beginning but they CHOSE to come here. What's left? Discuss Katrina and the Bush administration's failures (a key part of the topic) and you get warned for talking about it? What's the point?

With references to "babysitting" and such, come on, this is an internet forum not real life. Moderating a discussion forum isn't the most difficult task one can imagine. Let's not make it out to be one of life's greatest challenges. If you don't like the position of moderator, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

It's just a strange mindset to have, "Everybody, let's just get along, don't express yourself TOO much. Be positive, be PC" bah blah blah. That's not real life, that's not discussion. What you call arguing I might consider "heated debate" but what's wrong with some fire being injected into this?

Ugh, I am just really disappointed in this decision and it's likely I will rarely join in from now on. Afterall, there's only SO much you can talk about high gas prices without it spilling over into the specifics as to the why's and how's and then remembering to hold your comments in. "Yeah, high gas prices, they suck." The end.

Like I said, the main reason I came here was for the non-baseball forum (even though I'm a Reds fan) because I always knew the discussions would be fun to read and participate in. If that's taken away then there's not much for me to do here then.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    So now we simply have to go "elsewhere." That's what some could have done from the beginning but they CHOSE to come here. What's left? Discuss Katrina and the Bush administration's failures (a key part of the topic) and you get warned for talking about it? What's the point?
    I think Boss would be willing to put a link to the new joint. I just don't think he wants to administrate or moderate it. I think that's pretty fair.
    Pots and Kettles

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    I disagree with this completely.

One of the main reasons I come here is for the lively discussions as many "mainstream" forums either ban religious/political debate outright or if it is allowed, most of those members are complete morons with nothing of value or substance to say.

Now with RedsZone essentially throwing their hands up and walking away, it just seems as if the forum will just be another mainstream, "kid friendly" and somewhat boring forum where the "discussions" will be about nothing of importance.

With references to "babysitting" and such, come on, this is an internet forum not real life. Moderating a discussion forum isn't the most difficult task one can imagine. Let's not make it out to be one of life's greatest challenges. If you don't like the position of moderator, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

It's just a strange mindset to have, "Everybody, let's just get along, don't express yourself TOO much. Be positive, be PC" bah blah blah. That's not real life, that's not discussion. What you call arguing I might consider "heated debate" but what's wrong with some fire being injected into this?

Ugh, I am just really disappointed in this decision and it's likely I will rarely join in from now on. Afterall, there's only SO much you can talk about high gas prices without it spilling over into the specifics as to the why's and how's and then remembering to hold your comments in. "Yeah, high gas prices, they suck." The end.

Like I said, the main reason I came here was for the non-baseball forum (even though I'm a Reds fan) because I always knew the discussions would be fun to read and participate in. If that's taken away then there's not much for me to do here then.
    I agree. I love arguing. And I do it (and I don't care what anyone says) without ever calling someone names without provocation--yeah, when I'm provoked I hit back, but I never just call someone a name or insult someone out of the blue. I attack positions; I attack them viciously and ferociously. I hate poor thinking. I don't hate people.

But in the end, this ain't my pop stand. So I'm sure I'll head over to the other board. It's a hell of a lot more interesting talking politics than it is the Reds anymore (lord, talking about Oprah's more interesting than the Reds). So ochre, I hope you're ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I agree. I love arguing. And I do it (and I don't care what anyone says) without ever calling someone names without provocation--yeah, when I'm provoked I hit back, but I never just call someone a name or insult someone out of the blue. I attack positions; I attack them viciously and ferociously. I hate poor thinking. I don't hate people.

But in the end, this ain't my pop stand. So I'm sure I'll head over to the other board. It's a hell of a lot more interesting talking politics than it is the Reds anymore (lord, talking about Oprah's more interesting than the Reds). So ochre, I hope you're ready.

What's the big deal? Push one button and you're arguing again, this time with nearly no moderation.

If one button of separation is enough to stop an argument, how dedicated to arguing are you?

:
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    What's the big deal? Push one button and you're arguing again, this time with nearly no moderation.

If one button of separation is enough to stop an argument, how dedicated to arguing are you?

:
    It's not a big deal. And it won't stop me. But it could stop others, and others are just as important as lil ole me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It's not a big deal. And it won't stop me. But it could stop others, and others are just as important as lil ole me.

Consider it natural selection. Any arguer who won't make that effort gets left in the primordial arguing ooze.
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I think Boss would be willing to put a link to the new joint. I just don't think he wants to administrate or moderate it. I think that's pretty fair.
    Yeah, considering that he and GIK OWN this site and have given the participants chance after chance to improve the quality of these discussions.

Michaal, they're providing you with a viable alternative for your discussions. They're not just doing away with them and leaving you with no recourse. If the extra couple of extra clicks that it takes to get to the other site from here are too much for you to do, Michael, and will cause you to quit participating, well, I don't know what to say. But Boss, GIK, and the moderating staff have been more than fair in this whole situation and tolerant of what's transpired on this side of the board far longer than most of us here, including myself would have been. They should be applauded for that.

Great move, guys.
    Last edited by Larkin Fan; 09-02-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Well, what good would an entire forum created and dedicated to arguing be if we didn't argue about it?
    ~ Mark Twain

What do ya mean by that?

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Well, what good would an entire forum created and dedicated to arguing be if we didn't argue about it?
    That's crap if I ever heard it.
    Pots and Kettles

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    Michaal, they're providing you with a viable alternative for your discussions. They're not just doing away with them and leaving you with no recourse. If the extra couple of extra clicks that it takes to get to the other site from here are too much for you to do, Michael, and will cause you to quit participating, well, I don't know what to say.
    I suppose you could look at it as "providing a viable alternative", another way could be "Go away, we don't want that kind of free thinking here." I dunno.

Forums I've long been a member of, like www.hometheaterforum.com, have NEVER allowed political or religious discussions so when you signed up, it was accepted. RedsZone was something different, as long as you maintained civility, you could discuss what you wanted. Now that no longer is.

You see, it's not a question of "a couple of extra clicks", it's just not RedsZone any more. I LIKED the debates here, even if I never joined in , they were fun to read.

Maybe it's too simplistic or something....being told to take it some place else kinda sucks. Where ever new place you go, it ain't RedsZone.

Eh, I'm beatin' a dead horse I guess. Just disappointed.

Turn Off Ads?