Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 268

Thread: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

  1. #46
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    That's crap if I ever heard it.

    Yo mama
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    I suppose you could look at it as "providing a viable alternative", another way could be "Go away, we don't want that kind of free thinking here." I dunno.

    Forums I've long been a member of, like www.hometheaterforum.com, have NEVER allowed political or religious discussions so when you signed up, it was accepted. RedsZone was something different, as long as you maintained civility, you could discuss what you wanted. Now that no longer is.

    You see, it's not a question of "a couple of extra clicks", it's just not RedsZone any more. I LIKED the debates here, even if I never joined in , they were fun to read.

    Maybe it's too simplistic or something....being told to take it some place else kinda sucks. Where ever new place you go, it ain't RedsZone.

    Eh, I'm beatin' a dead horse I guess. Just disappointed.

    Michael, nobody would ever find the other forum if they weren't well versed in RedsZone.

    Everyone who participates in political or religious threads here will know where it is.

    All that is going to change is the location, and what I would think would be a welcome change, less moderation.

    I don't blame the mods if they don't want to have to read all this stuff. I just never thought of it that way before. They're still providing an opportunity for every single person here to post their opinions, the same people who've been in on every single political or religious thread since day one.

    I think it's far better than eliminating them alltogether.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  4. #48
    Member TeamCasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    TeamBoone's Attic
    Posts
    12,317

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    Maybe it's too simplistic or something....being told to take it some place else kinda sucks. Where ever new place you go, it ain't RedsZone.
    Honestly, I sort of felt that way when some of the subscribers and "last thread" folks were annexed. I mean, I met everyone through Redszone and that's how the relationships evolved. But I understood the decision with the bandwidth issues .... as I understand the moderation issues here.

    Create a shortcut to the new clubhouse, make it what you want it to be. Give Ochre some suggestions to formatting the place. Ask Boss to provide a link when a popular annexed thread is established. It'll all work out.

  5. #49
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,509

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Yo mama
    Go Gators!

  6. #50
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Michael, nobody would ever find the other forum if they weren't well versed in RedsZone.

    Everyone who participates in political or religious threads here will know where it is.

    All that is going to change is the location, and what I would think would be a welcome change, less moderation.

    I don't blame the mods if they don't want to have to read all this stuff. I just never thought of it that way before. They're still providing an opportunity for every single person here to post their opinions, the same people who've been in on every single political or religious thread since day one.

    I think it's far better than eliminating them alltogether.
    Yeah, but giving someone a dialectical beatdown in BlueZone or Taupezone lacks the same cachet.

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Great post Michael. I don't really understand it either. One thing I've taken away from my experience here is that midwesterners don't like confrontation. I don't have a problem with it. I wouldn't even want to discourage RFA66, who's garnered some big negs from the board liberals, from posting. The major problem I have with some posters is not saying what they really believe. Speak your mind, I say, and we can come to some conclusions, even if its the hackneyed "agree to disagree".

    Oh well. I never understood why Drew Nelson was banned. I miss him sometimes.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  8. #52
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Oh well. I never understood why Drew Nelson was banned. I miss him sometimes.

    Well, my take on that is that the moderators and admins, the guys who have to read every stinkin' post and listen to every single complaint, got tired of the sheer volume of work he caused for them. Unpaid work. Largly unappreciated work.

    I've always thought that the board benefited from guys like Drew and Richard Hand and even Don Cameron and Don Heffner, because of the controversy they created brought forth passionate rebuttals to their often incredible positions. But I'm not the guy who has to listen to all the crap their opinions generated.

    Boss' post earlier, which I quoted because I found it so enlightening, has changed my mind on these threads. Why should those guys have to be forced to read stuff, completely removed from baseball discussion, in order to maintain the standard of civility that is in their mission statement? Simply put, they shouldn't. I trust their judgment, their willingness to be reasonable on these topics. They've bent over backwards for years to provide a non-baseball forum, and listened to a mountain of crap from all sides in the process. I don't doubt their motives.

    If they say they've had enough, that's good enough for me. I can push a button or two to direct the exact same people to a forum a mouse click away, with much less moderation and restriction on free speech, if I want to read or discuss the very same issues.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  9. #53
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,706

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Well, my take on that is that the moderators and admins, the guys who have to read every stinkin' post and listen to every single complaint, got tired of the sheer volume of work he caused for them. Unpaid work. Largly unappreciated work.

    I've always thought that the board benefited from guys like Drew and Richard Hand and even Don Cameron and Don Heffner, because of the controversy they created brought forth passionate rebuttals to their often incredible positions. But I'm not the guy who has to listen to all the crap their opinions generated.

    Boss' post earlier, which I quoted because I found it so enlightening, has changed my mind on these threads. Why should those guys have to be forced to read stuff, completely removed from baseball discussion, in order to maintain the standard of civility that is in their mission statement? Simply put, they shouldn't. I trust their judgment, their willingness to be reasonable on these topics. They've bent over backwards for years to provide a non-baseball forum, and listened to a mountain of crap from all sides in the process. I don't doubt their motives.

    If they say they've had enough, that's good enough for me. I can push a button or two to direct the exact same people to a forum a mouse click away, with much less moderation and restriction on free speech, if I want to read or discuss the very same issues.
    No I don't blame the mods either.

    I just wish people had thicker skin.

  10. #54
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,738

    If you want to talk politics or religion

    or current events with a political bias.

    you can do it here.

    http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php?board=6.0

    Boss & GIK have indicated they don't have the time or the inclination to deal with it anymore on Redzone and Ochre has been gracious enough to make room for it on his site.

    Let's just move the discussions over there and not start anymore P threads on RZ.

    As Mickey Rooney often said. Come on kids! Let's put on a show!

    Last edited by pedro; 09-03-2005 at 12:05 AM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  11. #55
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,509

    Re: If you want to talk politics or religion

    We Want You!
    Go Gators!

  12. #56
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    No I don't blame the mods either.

    I just wish people had thicker skin.

    Yo mama.

    :
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  13. #57
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,429

    Re: If you want to talk politics or religion

    I think political thread-starters are like Tareyton smokers...

    /r/reds

  14. #58
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: If you want to talk politics or religion

    Who has a political bias?

  15. #59
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: If you want to talk politics or religion

    Okay, I'm going to venture into the unkown and post a no holds bar op-ed piece from the New York Times over there.

    http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php?topic=57.0
    Last edited by RBA; 09-03-2005 at 12:32 AM.

  16. #60
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Non-Baseball Forum Political and Religious Thread Changes

    Thicker skin? Who needs thick skin? It's an internet message board that exists to talk Reds baseball. That's all it is. I stopped reading the political threads a few months ago because there was nothing to be learned from them anymore. Seriously, I can hardly think of any enlightening conversation on politics in a long time that wasn't like watching 2nd graders bicker over who's baseball card collection was better. Sure, there were lots of people with great articulation skills who can make it look like it's well-reasoned debate, but underneath it all it was nothing more than "I'm smart, you're dumb", basically reciting verbatim what can be found at worldnetdaily or The New Republic (of which I am a loyal reader). And it came from BOTH sides, so I'm not trying to single anyone out. It was almost everyone involved, from my perception.

    You mentioned earlier that people need to understand the difference between personal attacks and attacks on a position. I think people probably just have different definitions, so what might not be personal to you, might be very personal to others and I don't think anyone can marginalize that or try to tell others what they should take personally. Watching how some folks behave in those "debates" was disappointing to watch for me personally, which was the main reason I stopped reading them altogether (except for two threads I unknowingly wandered into), and I don't blame the mods for not wanting to put up with it anymore. At leat that's my take....probably not worth much.

    Personally, I don't see what anyone gains from these discussions. They can't possibly be enjoyable, can they? I've seen well-reasoned, intelligent, yet heated political debate before, and what we've had on the non-BB side of RedsZone ain't it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25