Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repent America speaks on Hurricane

Repent America speaks on Hurricane

"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a
    wicked city. From 'Girls Gone Wild' to 'Southern Decadence', New Orleans was
    a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. May it
    never be the same. Let us pray for those ravaged by this disaster. However,
    we must not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed
    the wickedness in their city for so long,"

- Michael Marcavage, in a statement from the evangelical Christian group, "Repent America," issued today (09/02/2005).

P.S. - I can move this to the new board if that is what the mods want.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Repent America speaks on Hurricane

No - you just need to repent.

I really have a hard time with those who feel they need to attach God to every natural disaster that strikes this planet. Just read on another thread where a Muslim (Kuwaiti) said the hurricane was Allah punishing America for it's treatment of Arabs. Now we got an evangelical saying it's punishment on this country for an open display and promotion of sin. Why just New Orleans then?

"Now aren't they special"

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Why just New Orleans then?

Exactly.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turns my stomach when religious types spin tragedy to push their brand of salvation. You could just as easily argue that God's punishing the U.S. for having Bush, and all that he stands for, in the White House, though you'd be just as wrong-headed and chumply if you did.

I sometimes wonder if they can conceive of a world where what's happening isn't necessarily about them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Repent America probably just pulled a stunt that might be (dare I quote) 'Talibansque'. He does not speak for the MAJORITY of Christians in that matter.

A majority of Christians are much more level-headed.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I just love when people like this spout off and end up painting every Christian as an evil heartless jackass.

Have we all forgotten.. God = Love??

Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I wonder how he even knows about 'Girls Gone Wild' ?

Guys like this remind me of brother Jed from my days at OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Well, if you watch TV from 2:00 AM until 4:00 AM, the GGW infomercial is about the only thing on.

Just sayin'.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn or Burn BuckeyRedleg, Turn or Burn.

Let me tell you a story about "lusty Linda" and "Harlot Heather".......

they liked to FORN NI CATE.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Yes, if he's watching Howard Stern or something similar to it at 2:00 AM until 4:00 AM, those advertisements are common.

Wonder what this guy thinks of Vegas.

School's out. What did you expect?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

THese are the types that throw Bibles at you as you walk by on the street for wearing jeans instead of dress slacks. They dont represent me and I am an evangelical.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    THese are the types that throw Bibles at you as you walk by on the street for wearing jeans instead of dress slacks. They dont represent me and I am an evangelical.
    A funny thing happened to me once while visiting the community college in Piqua, Edison State Community College. I walked out of the building to catch some fresh air, and stood there, at the time with long hair, earring and some rock band t-shirt on. One of those people you mentioned was standing outside handing out New Testaments and wanted to "witness" to me. Now, I grew up in the Brethren Church, which broke off from the Mennonites, and I spent five years as a youth leader. I also served three years on the Brethren Church Board. Many of my colleagues turned their nose up to me because of my personal appearance, and I knew that this guy was doing the same.

I allowed him a few minutes to tell me that I needed to accept Jesus or I was going to hell, all the while trying to keep a straight face. When he asked me if he could pray for me, I said sure, and stood there outside and held hands with him and bowed my head. After he prayed for me, it was my turn. I said, "Lord Jesus, please help this brother of mine not to judge people based just on how the look, and try to get to know others and see their hearts. And Lord, thank you for coming into my heart on June 12, 1992. In your name I pray, Amen."

I thanked him for his time, and left him standing there speechless as I re-entered the building.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Sava:

That was a beautiful way to handle that situation.

www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I go to MIZZOU. Brother Jed lives here in Columbia now. I see him on a weekly basis. :

Turn Off Ads?