Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNN: "They are so poor and so black"

Time is the Revelator.

CNN: "They are so poor and so black"

http://thatvideosite.com/view/629.html

EDIT: I think that is Wolf Blitzer
    Last edited by LvJ; 09-04-2005 at 12:18 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: CNN: "They are so poor and so black"

Scroll down a tad on this link and check out the competing headlines on cnn.com and foxnews.com.

That's all you really need to see.

http://www.gawker.com/

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Scroll down a tad on this link and check out the competing headlines on cnn.com and foxnews.com.

That's all you really need to see.

http://www.gawker.com/
    I agree, CNN is horrible.

Probally not your point, but hey ... it works.

I agree, CNN is horrible.

Probally not your point, but hey ... it works.
    Good to see you are in touch with reality. Blitzer makes a verbal mistake and you post it like it's really saying something, yet FOX chooses to focus on the president giving personal attention out of harm's way instead of where and when the help is going to come from and FOX is the better of the two in your opinion.

Keep on watching your FOX news, friend, the Bush Bots are coming loose at the seams.

Even Shepard Smith couldn't tow the party line with Sean Hannity:

Last night, interviewing Geraldo Rivera and Shepard Smith in New Orleans from the comfort and safety of his studio, he responded to their descriptions of the still very desperate situation with a call for "perspective."

Replied Smith: "This is perspective!"

You go, LVJ.

You know what is really funny here is that when someone like Wolf Blitzer makes a mistake- no one thinks he is a racist by any stretch- you are quick to call him on it.

Yet when William Rehnquist writes that Plessy v. Ferguson should be overturned and blacks and whites should be separated, you don't say a word about that.

Unlike Blitzer, this was actually the way Rehnquist felt.

Why, that boy should be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, gosh darn it, he's a hero.

Fact is, your demographic, LVJ, and mine are much closer to those really hurting in NO than we are to Bush's cronies and the people who now possess the tax money that should be evacuating people there. They'd step on your neck without batting an eye for an extra dollar profit. They don't want you or me in their country club. They don't. They know it's got to remain exclusive or it's no longer a country club. They don't care about you, or me, or 99% of the people that you converse with on Redszone.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

They don't care about you, or me, or 99% of the people that you converse with on Redszone.
    Shhhhhhh...... if you put your head to the ground you can hear the Rove machine turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Yet when William Rehnquist writes that Plessy v. Ferguson should be overturned and blacks and whites should be separated, you don't say a word about that.

Unlike Blitzer, this was actually the way Rehnquist felt.

Why, that boy should be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, gosh darn it, he's a hero.
    Not exactly.

Plessy v. Ferguson is an early segregation case, in which the majority opinion held that distinctions based on race ran afoul of neither the Thirteenth or Fourteenth Amendments. In Harlan's famous dissenting opinion, he said that states could not impose criminal penalties on a citizen simply because he or she wished to use the public highways and common carriers. He argued that such laws defeated the whole purpose of the Civil War amendments. This dissenting opinion's power increased with time and eventually led to the overturning of Plessy v. Ferguson in 1954 by Brown v. Board of Education.

I think he meant "upheld" not "overturned".

Really stupid remarks by Blitzer IMO. I was wondering how long it would take before racism was injected into the issue this of addressing this hurricane. Didn't take long at all.

I wonder if this is racism? or maybe just inappropriate remarks?

As I watched the dire situations unfold over the last week and saw the looting and various other criminal activities, and then heard people call for sterner security measures to bring order and peace to this beleaguered region - which included shooting looters -I immediately said to myself, seeing that a majority of the unfortunate people still in NO who either had no way to get out of the region or chose to stay were black -that if they start shooting looters, then someone is gonna come out and say what this rapper just did, and that racism was the motivation behind all of this....

A week after being hailed as "the smartest man in pop music" on the cover of Time magazine, and four days after the release of his second album "Late Registration," which is expected to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard albums chart tomorrow with sales of nearly a million copies, West appeared beside comedian Mike Myers as one of several entertainers who urged Americans to donate to relief efforts during a telethon broadcast live on NBC and its affiliated networks Friday night.

West did not perform, nor did he deliver the statement that had been written for him, which visibly shocked Myers. Instead, in a nervous and emotional voice, the 28-year-old rapper first criticized the media's portrayal of African Americans in the devastated city of New Orleans and the warnings issued by President Bush and Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco that looters would be shot on sight.

"I hate the way they portray us in the media," West said. "If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food. ... They've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

As Myers returned to the script, West added another impromptu and even more incendiary line -- "George Bush doesn't care about black people"
    -- before the network quickly cut to comedian Chris Tucker. That line aired live on the East Coast, but was cut from West Coast broadcasts.

"Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, the administration's highest-ranking African American, said on Sunday while touring damage in her home state of Alabama.

NBC started distancing itself from West minutes after his appearance. Telethon host Matt Lauer noted that "emotions in this country right now are running very high. ... We've heard some [criticism] tonight, but it's still part of the American way of life."

The network later issued a statement, saying, "It would be most unfortunate if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion." But West's view that the federal government is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible" is not merely one person's opinion.

Nor was West the only performer on "A Concert for Hurricane Relief" to make such a criticism, although others were more veiled. Another African-American performer and a resident of New Orleans, Aaron Neville, performed Randy Newman's soulful ballad "Louisiana 1927," which includes the haunting chorus, "They're trying to wash us away."

And then the LA Times slams NBC for editing the remarks.

Here's the rest of the article.... http://www.suntimes.com/output/enter...r-kanye05.html
    Last edited by GAC; 09-05-2005 at 07:58 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Hey, I can't stand Wolf Blizter (the republican lapdog) either, but to call his slip of the tongue racist is making a mountain out of a mole hill. The fact is most were poor and most were black. In another thread someone poted a "racist" link showing what has not been looted in New Orleans. The Graphic was a Barnes and Noble. Nobody else called him on it but me. As far as I know, it's still posted in that thread.

Blitzer a Republican lapdog? His lips were glued to Clinton's but while he was in office. In fact - Blitzer seems to do that with whoever is in office.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

People considered "poor" in this country are rich by most the rest oft the world's standards

The sad part is that when you go inside an overwhelming majority of our huge metroplis' inner cities they are comprised largely of minorities. And if a catastrophe hits, they are going to be the ones largely affected/suffer to a greater degree.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    People considered "poor" in this country are rich by most the rest oft the world's standards
    And your point is....?

Turn Off Ads?