Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Superdome likely to be torn down

Superdome likely to be torn down

I'm not sure if this came up in the Katrina thread, but either way, it's a topic all its own. With all the pain and suffering that is taking place right now, there are 1,001 more important things to worry about than the fate of an aging concrete bowl. Nevertheless, the Superdome was an American landmark, of sorts, having hosted the Super Bowl, the Final Four, the Sugar Bowl, and even appearing in some movies. It's alternating colored panels above the top level of seats near the roof were unmistakable. It's amazing that a place that had so often been a place of happiness and celebration was reduced to poisoned house of horrors, and it will probably be one of the most enduring images of the tragedy as years pass.

I posted on another board last week that, even if it could be repaired, it might be best to tear it down anyway. How could people come to the facility and enjoy themselves after what has happened there? I don't think it would ever escape the stigma of last week, and the people would have it sitting there as a reminder.

Superdome likely to be torn down
    Governor reportedly says it was too badly damaged during Katrina to repair

NBCSports.com news services
    Updated: 9:10 p.m. ET Sept. 6, 2005

The Louisiana Superdome was so heavily damaged during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath that it likely will have to be torn down, CNN.com reported Tuesday, citing a a spokesperson for Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco.

Katrina sheared away much of the roof's covering, and water leaked into the stadium when it was used as a shelter for thousands of stranded residents.

The home of the New Orleans Saints is also the site of the annual Sugar Bowl and has hosted such events as the Super Bowl and college basketball's Final Four.

© 2005 NBC Sports.com

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Superdome likely to be torn down

Well, it looks like Tom Benson will finally get his wish after all. It's a shame, but he will probably end up either holding the town hostage for a new stadium (using a little bit of that Federal aid in the process?) or just bolt town completely.

"Hello, Los Angeles?"

Cruisin' for trouble

I don't think the Saints will ever play another game in New Orleans, regardless of what they do with the Superdome. Consider the fact that Baton Rouge expects to absorb ~300,000 new citizens in the next year, mostly from the New Orleans area and you have to wonder if New Orleans will have the means to support any major team.

The discussion that I've heard indicated that whatever replaced the Superdome would have to be capable of withstanding the type of disaster that they just went through. It would also have to have backup generators, food supplies and water services in such an event. Then think how much that is going to cost.

I just don't see it.

Worrying about rebuilding a football stadium should be one of the last priorities for the city. I think several years down the road, NO could possibly support a pro team, but not at this point. Hopefully the city can be rebuilt but I can't see it ever regaining its past population.

I don't think the Saints will come back either. It would take a couple of years to build a new stadium, and that's if they started today. With all the rebuilding that needs to be done a new football stadium is probably pretty far down the list right now. The Saints can't be a wandering vagabond team forever, they'll have to find a permanent home next year, and New Orleans just won't be ready.

The Saints owner has business ties to the San Antonio area. I really think you will eventually see the Saints move to San Antonio. If not there than probably Los Angeles.

I'm in agreement too. N.O. going to take about 10 years to come close to the population they had before. On another note, how about the Zephres (spell) moving to El Paso? I haven't seen anything, but I would like them to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    I don't think the Saints will ever play another game in New Orleans, regardless of what they do with the Superdome. Consider the fact that Baton Rouge expects to absorb ~300,000 new citizens in the next year, mostly from the New Orleans area and you have to wonder if New Orleans will have the means to support any major team.

The discussion that I've heard indicated that whatever replaced the Superdome would have to be capable of withstanding the type of disaster that they just went through. It would also have to have backup generators, food supplies and water services in such an event. Then think how much that is going to cost.

I just don't see it.
    Don't forget, though, that New orleans remains strategically located as a critical point of commerce and oil. Where there is commerce and economic activity, there are jobs, and where there are jobs, there will be people. Baton Rouge simply doesn't have the economic opportunities that New orleans does. The city adn government's job will be to convince residents and businesses that it is safe to return.

It will certainly take NO some time to recover from this, there's no doubt. And were it not in such a strategic location you might be forgiven for thinking it would NEVER recover. But, as we have seen in the past (Chicago, San Fran, Corpus Christi, etc.) if the location is important enough, people will rebuild.

Now, whether or not they will have pro sports is another matter entirely. I don't see the Saints returning to NO anytime int he near future, if at all. Although I wouldn't discount the idea that Benson may parlay this into a "good-guy image booster" scenario...make public comments about wanting to stay in NO to help the city rebuild and get back on its feet, then hold the city--and state--hostage for a new stadium to be built.

One final thought--large sports events are a critical part of the state's economy, between the Super Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Final Four and other events...it's difficult to imagine New Orleans withOUT a major sports venue for very long once rebuilding efforts are underway.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

September 06, 2005

PCL considers moving team in Louisiana
    SUN WIRE SERVICES

The Pacific Coast League's franchise in New Orleans may play its 2006 season in Baton Rouge, PCL vice president Don Logan said Monday.

The PCL's owners are set to have a conference call today for a formal discussion on the state of the franchise, which played in the suburb of Metairie. In a statement, the PCL office said it believed that players' families and the team's staff were all accounted for.

Logan said that Zephyr Field is currently being used as a staging area for the ongoing rescue and recovery efforts. The stadium, which opened in 1997, suffered only cosmetic damage during the storm, and it and the surrounding area remained dry afterward.

For 2006, the Zephyrs may move to 7,760-seat Alex Box Stadium on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, 80 miles from New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Don't forget, though, that New orleans remains strategically located as a critical point of commerce and oil. Where there is commerce and economic activity, there are jobs, and where there are jobs, there will be people. Baton Rouge simply doesn't have the economic opportunities that New orleans does. The city adn government's job will be to convince residents and businesses that it is safe to return.
    I was talking to a neighbor at a Labor Day outing that is involved in getting pig iron procured and shipped. He said the Port of New Orleans is the largest in the US (and 4th in the world) and said it isn't going anywhere soon.

Strategically at the mouth of the Mississippi River, the port and the entire infrastructure supporting the port (rail, fuel, highway, etc.) is entirely too valuable and critical to the huge US petro, agriculture, and manfacturing industries for it to ever go away.

He said that the east and west coast ports are currently maxed out and operating at capacity.

He said there are a series of ports from mile marker 50 to about 180 on the Mississippi River. And that they were ready to go the day after Katrina.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It will be a long time before New Orleans can support a professional sports team. I've heard rumors that a couple of energy companies that have large offices in New Orleans are considering relocating permanently. They'd reopen a small office in New Orleans when the city reopens, but scaled way back from the what it was.

There were plans to build a large production facility on the west bank to support the growing movie industry in the state. That's probably going to die on the table.

Tourism is huge in New Orleans. Are people going to want to come back and visit when this is over? Will the video, particularly of the looting and violence, keep people away?

The people of New Orleans are scattered across the country, living in shelters, homes of relatives, hotels. We cannot remain in this condition permanently. Many will find jobs and permanently relocate. Maybe most.

It's going to take years for New Orleans to become anywhere close to the city it once was, but there's still a chance for the city to emerge from this in better shape than before.

The Superdome will be rebuilt and the NFL will be back. They will have to because New Orleans is such an important port city, and the govt will eventually realize this and end up giving them the money.

On another note, this has done nothing to decrease my desire to move back there. As horrible as this may sound, with all the people who will not be going back some really nice houses are going to hit the market, and I for one wouldn't mind jumping in. Hey, any money going into the area has to be a good thing.

I love New Orleans!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    The Superdome will be rebuilt and the NFL will be back. They will have to because New Orleans is such an important port city, and the govt will eventually realize this and end up giving them the money.
    Considering how much has been given to NYC in the rebuilding of the Trade Center, they certainly should be able to provide the money for the rebuilding of an entire city that is vital to the economic health of the country.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Considering how much has been given to NYC in the rebuilding of the Trade Center, they certainly should be able to provide the money for the rebuilding of an entire city that is vital to the economic health of the country.
    They should but will they? As I said in another thread, local & state officials have been mighty critical of the Feds' handling of this and W in particular. You really think W and his congress would go out of their way and appropriate money for rebuilding NO when they have been criticized about it? And they might but it may not be real quick in coming and it may not be as much as they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    They should but will they? As I said in another thread, local & state officials have been mighty critical of the Feds' handling of this and W in particular. You really think W and his congress would go out of their way and appropriate money for rebuilding NO when they have been criticized about it? And they might but it may not be real quick in coming and it may not be as much as they need.
    This is Bush we are talking about. There is oil off the the coast. He'll rebuild it quickly.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?