Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Fires Trev Alberts

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

ESPN Fires Trev Alberts

Not that I'm a big fan of Trev, but it looked like he played a card and ESPN called his bluff.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../alberts.espn/

ESPN sacks Alberts
    College analyst fired after tiring of 'second-fiddle' role
    Posted: Tuesday September 6, 2005 9:08PM; Updated: Wednesday September 7, 2005 12:40AM
    FREE EMAIL ALERTS EMAIL THIS PRINT THIS SAVE THIS MOST POPULAR

John Walters, SI.com

ESPN fired Trev Alberts on Sunday after the college football analyst failed to show up for work at ESPN's studios in Bristol, Conn.

"He phoned and said that he wasn't going to show up," Mark Shapiro, ESPN's Vice President of Programming and Production, told SI.com on Tuesday night, "and when he didn't, he was in breach of his contract and we terminated him."

Alberts, a former All-American defensive end at Nebraska and member of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts, was embarking on his fourth season as part of ESPN's popular College Football Scoreboard and College Football Gameday team. But on Sunday morning, in the midst of college football's first big weekend of the season, Alberts phoned ESPN's coordinating producer of college football, Ed Placey, and voiced his discontent.

"He phoned us and told us that he was unhappy with his role on College GameDay," said Shapiro. "He felt that he was playing second fiddle."

As the day wore on, according to both Shapiro and Alberts, there were several conversations between Alberts and ESPN senior vice presidents Jed Drake and Norby Williamson. Finally, Alberts announced that he would not be reporting for work that afternoon (ESPN and ESPN2 aired three college football games between 3:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.). Once Alberts failed to appear for his studio show assignment with host Rece Davis and fellow analyst Mark May, he was fired.

"They first wanted me to resign," Alberts said on Tuesday night from his Atlanta home. "Then they fired me. I obviously have a serious problem with the word 'breach', but that's something my attorney will work out."

Alberts joined ESPN's studio show in 2002 after five years of working in a similar capacity at CNN/SI. Cantankerous, passionate and opinionated, Alberts often feuded with May about issues relating to the sport, but the feud never turned (or even appeared to seem) personal. Davis played the role of genial arbitrator to a tee.

"We were just trying to be three guys in a frat house talking football," said Alberts.

As far as his discontent and the phone calls to management, Alberts said that both began long before Sunday.

"It wasn't just this weekend," he said. "There were conversations for awhile. I fully understood the privilege of the seat I sat in. And it was never about wanting to be part of the GameDay crew. But no matter what business you're in, if you're not respected internally, you're going to have a hard time being respected externally."

Alberts declined to elaborate. The GameDay crew, with Chris Fowler as host and sidekicks Lee Corso and Kirk Herbstreit, has evolved into a wildly popular cult phenomenon. Each Saturday the trio's visit to a college campus is cause for pre-game pandemonium among the tailgating set.

Alberts claims that he never aspired to that, nor does he begrudge Fowler, Corso and Herbstreit their widening popularity.

"The GameDay guys have earned that," Alberts said. "Mark, Rece and I, we had searched for something we could call ours. All we wanted was something we could take ownership of. We felt like the midnight wrap-up show was ours, but as the season began I could see that we'd be more of a support crew for [Fowler, Corso and Herbstreit].

"Never once did I say, Why aren't I on commercials? Why aren't I making more money? I'm a huge fan of all these people who work at ESPN, including Mark [Shapiro]. It's just a matter of not wanting to be marginalized."

Shapiro concurred that the ESPN stable may have had a few too many thoroughbreds.

"Over the years there's been some discomfort over how to integrate the two teams," he said on Tuesday. "But, it's like a coach who has a lot of good backs and receivers. Everyone has a role to play."

Everyone except Alberts. He has been dismissed from the team. Shapiro said that in the short term a replacement will come from in-house, but as for a full-time replacement for Alberts, "essentially, we're open for business."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN Fires Trev Alberts

Won't miss him one bit.

Sad it worked out this way, but I thought he was a terrible analyst for gameday.
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I didn't mind him. He wasn't afraid to rattle cages and say things - despite how egotistical or idiotic it made him sound. I can't say I'm surprised, but I liked May and Alberts working together. They had a "Oh I hate you so much" chemistry that was always entertaining to watch.

I knew something or someone was missing on the Sunday games for ESPN to go along with Mark May. Just couldn't figure out who. Just shows you how much of an impression Alberts made on me. I don't blame ESPN a bit for firing him. If you don't show up for work then you get canned. He will soon be doing color commentary for Nebraska high school football games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He could get stuck with Tim Brando on the CBS SEC game of the week.....

I'm interested in the "in-house" guy - I wonder of Spielman would move to the studio....they need more Buckeyes....

We'll get stuck with Desmond Howard I'm afraid....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over this.

Although, I will say that I prefer Trev Alberts to that mentally-castrated idiot Kirk Herbstreit. Both of them had horrendous major-program bias, but at least Alberts would admit it on the air.

Herbstreit lost what little respect of mine he had left with his absolutely ridiculous "Herbie" awards this preseason. How you can list the Top-10 QBs in the nation and never type the words "Omar Jacobs" anywhere is beyond me.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It's too bad he didn't take Mark May with him, that guy is terrible.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I'm not going to lose too much sleep over this.

Although, I will say that I prefer Trev Alberts to that mentally-castrated idiot Kirk Herbstreit. Both of them had horrendous major-program bias, but at least Alberts would admit it on the air.

Herbstreit lost what little respect of mine he had left with his absolutely ridiculous "Herbie" awards this preseason. How you can list the Top-10 QBs in the nation and never type the words "Omar Jacobs" anywhere is beyond me.
    Are you really that surprised Jacobs wasn't mentioned? If you mention Omar Jacobs then you have to mention Bruce Gradkowski at Toledo because, frankly, Gradkowski is better. The MAC has always had tough time finding way to the national spotlight. Don't be dissapointed, the majority of the college football audience does not follow the MAC.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

I didn't mind Trev, although he said some pretty outlandish things sometimes. But at least you knew with him you were getting an honest opinion.

As for Herbstreit, I love the guy. I think of all the individual sports coverage and shows ESPN does, Herbstreit is head and shoulders above everyone else with his on-air personality and his analysis. I've always thought it to be well thought out and well-reasoned. And he's not a blow hard, he's level headed. Even here in Michigan, he's massively popular and people like the guy. I agree that if ESPN tries to exapnd the Herbstreit brand too much and try to turn him into typical ESPN garbage, that could all change.

I've never got too much of a big school bias from Kirk at all. He's one of the few national personalities who regularly sings the praises of the MAC. I've always seen him be the one to tout the lesser known programs as well, such as TCU a few years back when they went undefeated, and he was a big fan of Utah last year. I watch almost every week and I can honestly say I've never seen much bias in him. It's much worse with other personalities, and especially in other sports. And he almost goes out of his way to downplay his tie to Ohio State and he ALWAYS over-rates Michigan. There's just no way to avoid some big program bias because that's where the money in coverage lies. I'm sure most of what they coverage is a directive from ESPN and out of the hands of the on-air personalities. The big schools are usually much better, so they're naturally going to get more of the coverage. At least that's how I see it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Oh yeah, and I really like Mark May. I disagree with him plenty, but I think he does a good job covering the sport. Although, I enjoyed how he played off of Alberts, so we'll see how he does on his own. I'd like to see them bring in Chris Spielman to replace Trev.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Agree completely Serafini. Mark May was much, much worse than Trev Alberts in my view. Anyone that would sit there with a straight face and say Aj Hawk and Bobby Carpenter are slow just doesn't get it. He needs to get out of the stereotype mode and watch film. Those guys fly and the pro scout days prove it. He's always hated the Bucks and he admits it. This is why.

1993 Ohio State 63, Pittsburgh 28
    1994 Ohio State 27, Pittsburgh 3
    1995 Ohio State 54, Pittsburgh 14
    1996 Ohio State 72, Pittsburgh 0

After 1996 Pitt said they would never play TOSU again.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Ugh - I remember the '96 game - it was ugly.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

That's still one thing I don't get with the college game. Teams get mad because they are horrible and another team shows them how much. Fortunately, Pitt decided they needed to make changes to not be horrible any more. And who did they get? An OSU assistant. I tell you, irony is wasted on some people.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Agree completely Serafini. Mark May was much, much worse than Trev Alberts in my view. Anyone that would sit there with a straight face and say Aj Hawk and Bobby Carpenter are slow just doesn't get it. He needs to get out of the stereotype mode and watch film. Those guys fly and the pro scout days prove it. He's always hated the Bucks and he admits it. This is why.

1993 Ohio State 63, Pittsburgh 28
    1994 Ohio State 27, Pittsburgh 3
    1995 Ohio State 54, Pittsburgh 14
    1996 Ohio State 72, Pittsburgh 0

After 1996 Pitt said they would never play TOSU again.
    Man, I guess I'm gonna have to start liking Mark May. Anybody that hates Ohio State is o.k. in my book.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Are you really that surprised Jacobs wasn't mentioned? If you mention Omar Jacobs then you have to mention Bruce Gradkowski at Toledo because, frankly, Gradkowski is better. The MAC has always had tough time finding way to the national spotlight. Don't be dissapointed, the majority of the college football audience does not follow the MAC.
    I think Gradkowski is better too, but I always get screamed at for bias by my friends whenver I say that (as was the case when I was singing the J.P. Losman praises in my Tulane days).

Fun fact: I ditched the first half of an ethics class (yes, I realize the irony in that fact) last week to watch part of Toledo's home opener at the glass bowl last week, and I sat behind a bunch of NFL scouts (2 from Carolina, 1 from the Giants, 1 from the Dolphins, and 1 from the Lions) who were out scouting Gradkowski. They were all pretty sociable, and I got into a nice discussion on draft importance of the QB position with the Dolphins scout. It made me feel important, at any rate.

And the problem facing MAC football (as well as other mid-major football) is that it is caught in a self-perpetuting loop: they get no media attention on the hype shows like SportsCenter, College GameDay, etc. because they have no large fanbase, but NOT covering them leads, in part, to them not having large fanbases.

Plus, they just don't have the resources to recruit the depth that is needed to compete with the major schools. Getting drilled by Michigan or Ohio State is great for the bottom line of atheletics department, but it certainly doesn't help a program achieve any sort of national prominence.

Also, on the subject of the MAC specifically, they're shooting themselves in the foot by continuing to allow chronically poor-performing programs to continue participating in the conference. If they really want to move up in anyone's eyes, they need to cut some serious dead weight. If I were running things, I'd reccommend the immediate elimination of all three "Directional Michigan" schools, Buffalo and Ball State. I'd proceed forward with the remaining schools under the renamed "MAC-7 Conference" and then encourage my members to start scheduling hard season-opening games to SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 schools in order to maximize national TV exposure (and yes, getting drilled at first...but you gotta fry some geese to make a dinner. I'd target the lesser SEC programs like Miss. State at first)

Hopefully this would lead to a better chance of getting a national (or at least regional cable) television deal due to the eliminated snore-fest matchups of Central Michigan v. Buffalo and the likewise ilk and a more competitive balance between the teams. I'd also target some of the Horizon-league schools like Detroit-Mercy and UW-Milwaukee for the basketball side of the conference.

But, that's just me...my only experience being an AD is on the NCAA-series for the PS1 and PS2.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 09-07-2005 at 04:04 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?