Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FEMA accused of flying evacuees to wrong Charleston

FEMA accused of flying evacuees to wrong Charleston

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/kat...ion=cnn_latest

(CNN) -- Add geography to the growing list of FEMA fumbles.

A South Carolina health official said his colleagues scrambled Tuesday when FEMA gave only a half-hour notice to prepare for the arrival of a plane carrying as many as 180 evacuees to Charleston.

But the plane, instead, landed in Charleston, West Virginia, 400 miles away.

It was not known whether arrangements have been made to care for the evacuees or transport them to the correct destination.

A call seeking comment from FEMA was not immediately returned.

"We called in all the available resources," said Dr. John Simkovich, director of public health for the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.

"They responded within 30 minutes, which is phenomenal, to meet the needs of the citizens coming in from Louisiana," he said.

Simkovich said that the agency had described some of the evacuees as needing "some minor treatment ... possibly some major treatment."

"Unfortunately, the plane did not come in," Simkovich said. "There was a mistake in the system, coming out through FEMA, that we did not receive the aircraft this afternoon. It went to Charleston, West Virginia."

A line of buses and ambulances idled behind him at Charleston International Airport as he described what happened.

"This is a 'no event' for today," Simkovich said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: FEMA accused of flying evacuees to wrong Charleston

Lady in the stairwell (about her dog): He doesn't know where he is or where he's going.
    My reply: Do any of us?

I imagine there are a lot of people who don't know where they are.

And they've transported some people to northern states where it's going to get cool soon. They are in for a rude awakening when the temps drop in a few weeks.

Wonder where those people going to Springfield think they're going? Take your pick.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

BTW, I want to make it clear that I'm grateful to the other states for taking in evacuees. And I'm sure the locals will make sure they have warm clothing. It's just that the temps in New Orleans just don't dip below freezing more than a handful of times a year. New experiences for us all.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Wonder where those people going to Springfield think they're going? Take your pick.
    Maybe some of them think that they will be moving next to the Simpson's house.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    And they've transported some people to northern states where it's going to get cool soon. They are in for a rude awakening when the temps drop in a few weeks.
    Especially those who went to Minnesota and Michigan. That's going to be a rough transition.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?