Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new Marty has to go thread

Re: A new Marty has to go thread

I grew frustrated by his inability to just call the game. Seems as if he is bored just describing the action and concentrating on "the game". I grew tired of the incessant babble on inane topics, so I voted with my feet and don't listen anymore.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Yes he does. Trust me
    I guess he loves playing golf in other cities, having his fans worship him and doing his little comedy team, but he's bored with announcing baseball.
    I guess I should've been clearer.. I'm sure Marty enjoys his fame as "voice of the Reds" and all the fringe benefits, but he doesn't like calling the game anymore.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I'd agree because we aren't being overly critical. Can Marty not be criticized now that he's in the HOF? That'd be like saying that you couldn't say anything bad about Willie Mays when he was bumbling his way around the OF for the Mets before he retired.
    Anyone can do what they please, criticize or appreciate and the opinion doesn't make either any more credible than the other. I was just making a statement that I personally think that the majority of Reds fans still appreciate and enjoy Marty as the Reds radio broadcaster. I could be wrong in that assumption, although I really don't think so. Just as I was sad to see Joe Nuxhall retire, I will have the same feelings when Marty finally hangs it up. He is a big part of Reds baseball and is one of the best announcers of his time. My view of Marty is not popular with a segment of Redszone, but that doesn't really bother me. I still enjoy his calls for the most part. XM radio has allowed me to enjoy Reds broadcasts from afar, and I really appreciate being able to set on my screened porch in the evenings and listen and feel closer to my favorite team because of Marty's familiar tones. When you've been away from it for a while, you really appreciate it a lot more. He's not perfect, as most are not, but he's far superior to most that I have listened to.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    He's not perfect, as most are not, but he's far superior to most that I have listened to.
    He is better than most other play-by-play guys. There is a reason he is in the HOF, however, his work is not nearly as good as it once was. I just want the "old Marty" back. The one who loved his job and was not seemingly bored by it.

It might be a minority, but it's a growing minority. It won't be long until it's NOT a minority. Even on this site alone, most of the people who don't appreciate the current version of Marty Brenneman almost all say at one point they loved the guy. You don't see this kind of stuff with most beloved announcers.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    It might be a minority, but it's a growing minority. It won't be long until it's NOT a minority. Even on this site alone, most of the people who don't appreciate the current version of Marty Brenneman almost all say at one point they loved the guy. You don't see this kind of stuff with most beloved announcers.
    after listening for 30 years last year was the first time I ever started turning it off. Now I don't even listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Exactly. No one's saying that Marty's a bad announcer and they can't stand him. We see comments like that about other teams announcers - like jharb74 mentioned the HOU radio guy who is probably Milo Hamilton and I would agree. There aren't a lot of announcers out there that can hold a candle to Marty. All we're saying is that Marty should call the game, stop being so critical of players and actually pay attention to the facts. Marty's going to end up bitter like another tell-it-like-it-is guy, Howard Cosell.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Marty can perform rings around most other announcers. In fact, he's a great announcer... when he chooses to be; in fact, he can perform rings around most others. The problem is, he seems to choose not to be anymore, or at least less and less often.

I don't care who he's announcing for... the diehard fan or the casual fan. If those fans, collectively, are tuning into the Reds game, I have an idea that it's because they want to hear the game... after all, isn't that what the broadcast is for? But if they're not tuning in to get the game, then I guess they are the ones reaping the most benefit from the broadcast these days.

He can have fun, joke around, tell a few stories, promote his golf game, do interviews with boring beat writers, do his non-baseball-related trivia question/answer, complain about how long the game is (?)... whatever! But not ad nauseum nor at the expense of the game play by play... and most definitely not when the Reds are up to bat.

Though I'm sure nothing's going to change anytime soon.

I know, I know... if I don't like it turn it off. And believe me, I do when it's televised... but when it's the only source of live "coverage", I must muddle through and muddle through I do... complaining to the radio throughout the broadcast while a lot of time wondering what is going on down there on the field (Game Day helps a little, but it's so slow that most of it is history by the time it appears).

Thank you, Steve, for calling the game when it's your turn to speak.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Marty can perform rings around most other announcers. In fact, he's a great announcer... when he chooses to be; in fact, he can perform rings around most others. The problem is, he seems to choose not to be anymore, or at least less and less often.

I don't care who he's announcing for... the diehard fan or the casual fan. If those fans, collectively, are tuning into the Reds game, I have an idea that it's because they want to hear the game... after all, isn't that what the broadcast is for? But if they're not tuning in to get the game, then I guess they are the ones reaping the most benefit from the broadcast these days.

He can have fun, joke around, tell a few stories, promote his golf game, do interviews with boring beat writers, do his non-baseball-related trivia question/answer, complain about how long the game is (?)... whatever! But not ad nauseum nor at the expense of the game play by play... and most definitely not when the Reds are up to bat.

Though I'm sure nothing's going to change anytime soon.

I know, I know... if I don't like it turn it off. And believe me, I do when it's televised... but when it's the only source of live "coverage", I must muddle through and muddle through I do... complaining to the radio throughout the broadcast while a lot of time wondering what is going on down there on the field (Game Day helps a little, but it's so slow that most of it is history by the time it appears).

Thank you, Steve, for calling the game when it's your turn to speak.
    People actually listen to baseball games for the overall entertainment of it. I'm sure that isn't why alot of people here do though it seems. It's not life or death.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

It's not life or death.
    Following the count and mentioning the score would be a nice perk though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Following the count and mentioning the score would be a nice perk though.
    Someone send him a Red Barber egg timer.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    People actually listen to baseball games for the overall entertainment of it. I'm sure that isn't why alot of people here do though it seems. It's not life or death.
    Most actually listen for the game. They want to know what's actually happening during the game. Things like who's at bat, what the score is, how many outs there are, who's pitching, if someone got a hit, crazy things like that. A lot of these people don't have the benefit of watching the game and they need to know these things. I'm sure if "gangsta trivia" or the e-mails or the golf stories went away, people would still listen. Joe should have retired a few years before he did because you couldn't tell what was going on during the game anymore. Not because of lack of effort but he just couldn't see what was going on and describe it. He'd be great for TV where you don't have to rely on the announcer to know what is going on. Marty's the same. When he's actually calling the game, he's fine. But when he isn't, he's unbearable.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think the one thing everyone forgets about calling a baseball game is the incredible amount of time to fill. You just want to hear play by play? It isn't that easy my friends. Look how much time there tends to be between pitches...between at-bats. Most of it isn't really that entailed...a ground ball, fielder throwns out runner. Most of it doesn't get much more exciting then that. The announcer has a ton of space to fill.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    I think the one thing everyone forgets about calling a baseball game is the incredible amount of time to fill. You just want to hear play by play? It isn't that easy my friends. Look how much time there tends to be between pitches...between at-bats. Most of it isn't really that entailed...a ground ball, fielder throwns out runner. Most of it doesn't get much more exciting then that. The announcer has a ton of space to fill.
    fill in between the action ... not during the action. Marty often gets around to calling stuff well after it happens. The filler ought to have something to do with baseball or the players on the field. Sorry but I just don't think Marty, his life, or his non-baseball topics that he cares about are very interesting and I don't want to hear about the stuff ad nauseum.

I've been listening to Marty for 20 years, and I see no difference now than I did when I first started listening to him. He has always been critical of the players, coaches, managers, fans, etc. and that is part of the reason that I like him so much. He has also always talked about things like BBQ, tomatoes, golf, etc. during those 20 years.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?