Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock up Harang

Lock up Harang

Just to put it in perspective...the following guys have higher ERA's than Harang (who has gotten better as the year goes on...no more than 4 ER in last 10 starts)

Glavine
    M Morris
    B Penny
    B Webb
    D Lowe
    K Benson
    M Prior
    J Beckett
    J Schimdt
    G Maddux
    J Weaver

I don't know how...but Aaron is still flying under the radar this year...we can still sign him long term very easily I'm sure. Huge mistake if the FO misses out on this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lock up Harang

Not only do I think we could lock him up long term, but i also think we could do so at a very good rate. I wouldn't go beyond 2/3 years tho at this point in time. Maybe 2/3 years with option.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I don't know why in the world anyone would want him locked up. I don't think he'd do the team much good from a cell. Maybe there's something I missed. Hmm...

Agreed. I hope that, come contract renegotiation time, the Reds don't forget that Harang:

1) Has kept a 3:1 ratio (K:BB) this year
    2) Will eat over 200 innings
    3) Is still just 27 years old
    4) Had an OBP of .032

Oops, scratch that last one.

Does anyone else agree with this contract offer:
    3 Years at 14 million (overall)
    A team option for a 4th year at 6 million
    ?
    I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on what the Reds could realistically sign Harang for. I personally think this may be a little bit on the low end, but it seems like the range he could be had for. I could very easily see him inking 18 - 20 million for a 3 year contract, so I wouldn't mind hearing some additional input from others to see if I'm in the right ballpark on my estimations.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I don't know why in the world anyone would want him locked up. I don't think he'd do the team much good from a cell. Maybe there's something I missed. Hmm...
    Wise Acre!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    ?
    I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on what the Reds could realistically sign Harang for. I personally think this may be a little bit on the low end, but it seems like the range he could be had for. I could very easily see him inking 18 - 20 million for a 3 year contract, so I wouldn't mind hearing some additional input from others to see if I'm in the right ballpark on my estimations.
    Every club is always desperate for good, young starting pitchers. The problem is that these frenzied bidding wars that emerge for free agent pitchers terribly skew the real value of starting pitching to all teams in the league.

I mean, all it takes to nuke the market is another bloated signing from a Kris Benson or an Eric Milt---uhm...never mind

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    ?
    Harang makes $440,000 this year, so I would think a contract around 2-3 million a year for 2 or 3 years would probably work for him. I just hope that they resign him before everyone starts over paying in free agency.... because of that happens then he would probably ask for even more.

Too bad we can start discussing it now as contract negotiations cannot occur during the season. Thanks Dan O.

I most defintly want Harang signed for 3 to 4 years. I view him as a great 3 in a staff or a 4 or on a excellent staff, sadly he is a 1 or 2 on the Red's but all things considered i want him as a red big time over the next 4 years.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    I most defintly want Harang signed for 3 to 4 years. I view him as a great 3 in a staff or a 4 or on a excellent staff, sadly he is a 1 or 2 on the Red's but all things considered i want him as a red big time over the next 4 years.
    Harang has the 29th best ERA in the major leagues this year among starters.

With 30 teams and 150 starters out there, an average #3 pitcher would fall about 75th on the list. So, if you lined up all the pitchers in the league and ranked them, Harang would fall to the bottom of the #1 list. Now, Harang is not what we'd like a #1 starter to be, but there's not many true #1 starters out here. But when you look at it, Harang would be about the best #2 starter if the starters were evenly distributed throughout the league.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Harang has the 29th best ERA in the major leagues this year among starters.

With 30 teams and 150 starters out there, an average #3 pitcher would fall about 75th on the list. So, if you lined up all the pitchers in the league and ranked them, Harang would fall to the bottom of the #1 list. Now, Harang is not what we'd like a #1 starter to be, but there's not many true #1 starters out here. But when you look at it, Harang would be about the best #2 starter if the starters were evenly distributed throughout the league.
    Exactly, which means that you can forget about getting him to sign for $ 2-3 million per year. That is, unless Master P becomes his agent.

I seriously doubt Lindner is going to increase the payroll next year for another next to last place finish. Unless the Reds makes a trade and free up some payroll, Harang will probably go through arbitration... If Harang has another good year, then he deserves a multiyear contract... Oh yeah, Dunn will get a nice pay raise next year too. That Milton signing is looking better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by baboone
    I seriously doubt Lindner is going to increase the payroll next year for another next to last place finish. Unless the Reds makes a trade and free up some payroll, Harang will probably go through arbitration... If Harang has another good year, then he deserves a multiyear contract... Oh yeah, Dunn will get a nice pay raise next year too. That Milton signing is looking better and better.
    The Milton signing is still puzzling. He lead the NL in homeruns allowed in 04 and the Phillies obviously did not want to sign him. Real brain cramp.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    The Milton signing is still puzzling.
    You mean the 6+ ERA and gazillion HR's allowed haven't clearified things for you?

Turn Off Ads?