Show off
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lock up Harang

Hey, kal, not to burst your bubble too much, but ummmmm:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Harang

This was back in May of last year

4 years/16 million. It's a good, fair deal for everyone involved.

It's still past time for this to happen. Should have happened in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon
    4 years/16 million. It's a good, fair deal for everyone involved.
    Harang would be stupid to sign that deal right now. I think 4 yr./ 25 mil. is more like it for a guy who's going to have consecutive sub 4 ERA and 200+ IP seasons playing half his games at GABP.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Why would Harang take such a low dollar contract during his prime years? This isn't a 25 year old who wants to make more duing his arb years than he would otherwise before signing his primary mid-career contract. Harang's next deal is his big contract.

Given the money tossed around to guys like Kris Benson and Esteban Loaiza, I'd start the conversation at 5 years, 40 Mil if I'm Harang. Of course I'd come down a bit in the negotiations, but he'd be stupid to take anything less than 6-7 per once he's past his arb years.

Do I think he's worth it from the Reds perspective? Maybe. Given that he's got 2 more arb years (I believe), and that he's at 2.35 right now, I'd offer something like this:

2007 (age 29): 3.5 Mil
    2008 (30): 5.0 Mil
    2009 (31): 6.0 Mil
    2010 (32): 7.0 Mil
    2011 (33): 7.5 Mil (mutual option)

Total: 5 years, 29 Mil -- perhaps with performance based escalators

That gives his reasonable arb raises and life time financial security, while still priming him for a second chance to really cash in should he continue to elevate his game. In the meantime the Reds get a #2 starter to anchor the staff without breaking the bank. The contracts that really bug me are the ones where they are so backloaded the club gets caught in backloading cycle, causing them to always be in crisis mode.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-29-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Harang is excellent and to think we got the indomitable Joe Valentine from Oakland too, why it was a veritable Brink's heist

Given that ownership just signed extensions for both manager and GM, I wouldn't be surprised to see some player extensions coming down soon too. Harang must be considered a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Why would Harang take such a low dollar contract during his prime years? This isn't a 25 year old who wants to make more duing his arb years than he would otherwise before signing his primary mid-career contract. Harang's next deal is his big contract.

Given the money tossed around to guys like Kris Benson and Esteban Loaiza, I'd start the conversation at 5 years, 40 Mil if I'm Harang. Of course I'd come down a bit in the negotiations, but he'd be stupid to take anything less than 6-7 per once he's past his arb years.

Do I think he's worth it from the Reds perspective? Maybe. Given that he's got 2 more arb years (I believe), and that he's at 2.35 right now, I'd offer something like this:

2007 (age 29): 3.5 Mil
    2008 (30): 5.0 Mil
    2009 (31): 6.0 Mil
    2010 (32): 7.0 Mil
    2011 (33): 7.5 Mil (mutual option)

Total: 5 years, 29 Mil -- perhaps with performance based escalators

That gives his reasonable arb raises and life time financial security, while still priming him for a second chance to really cash in should he continue to elevate his game. In the meantime the Reds get a #2 starter to anchor the staff without breaking the bank. The contracts that really bug me are the ones where they are so backloaded the club gets caught in backloading cycle, causing them to always be in crisis mode.
    This makes a lot of sense, and hence will never happen.

Turn Off Ads?