Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Schwarzenegger to veto gay marriage bill

Re: Schwarzenegger to veto gay marriage bill

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Randy, have all of the efforts made by certain posters here to enlighten you and me over the years here failed? Only political conservatives and evangelical Christians and other hopelessly ignorant types (which of course includes most if not all Republicans) can be bigoted. It is only through the grace and forebearance of "our betters" that we haven't yet simply been taken out and shot, given the danger we pose to ourselves and society. Maybe if they use real small words and explain it all to us again we will finally begin to understand...................no, we are probably all hopeless, uncaring bigots.
    Unenlightened we are. Keeps them doing this

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree.

Maybe Shaq can knock some sense into you all.

Shaq draws assist in post-NBA role

UNION-TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICES
    September 14, 2005

Shaquille O'Neal, who hopes to be a police chief or county sheriff one day, helped Miami police with an arrest over the weekend by trailing a man who allegedly assaulted a gay couple and then alerting an arresting officer.

The 7-foot-1 Miami Heat center, who is in the process of becoming a Miami Beach reserve officer, was driving on South Beach at about 3 a.m. Sunday. Shaq saw a passenger in a car yell anti-gay slurs at the couple, who were walking, Miami PD spokesman Bobby Hernandez told The Associated Press.

The man then got out of the car and threw a bottle, hitting one of the pedestrians, who was not seriously hurt. The man got back in the car, which sped off. O'Neal followed, flagging down an officer who made an arrest, Hernandez said.

"For this incident I don't want to be credited as an individual who does police work," O'Neal said in a statement. "I want to be credited as a Miami Beach police officer."

Shaq vs. Arnold in a cage match. I'll take Shaq over the bloated Arnold. Shaq is younger and he is quicker.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...1s14galry.html

Does that article state that it was Christians that did this?

I know an awful lot of non-religious people at work, because we have a couple gay men that work in our department whom they treat with derision and contempt, who could be guilty of such a crime.

Last edited by GAC; 09-14-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Glad you changed your avatar, TC. I like that one much better!
    I was frightening people!

Christophobes :
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I think people should have equal rights regardless of their religious beliefs too. That isn't bigoted.
    I agree. It might surprise (or dismay) some to learn that I do not oppose all aspects of what is sometimes referred to as "the gay rights agenda" (I know, I know, somebody will say "what agenda"?-I just can't think of a quick shorthand reference)--there are some libertarian arguments on this issue which I find to be reasonable.
    I am somewhat the same way on the legalization of certain drugs. I am opposed to illegal drug use, but there is a libertarian argument for legalization of at least certain substances such as marijuana. In other words, not all conduct that I believe to be immoral should be illegal---but just because something is legal does not compell me to find it to be moral either.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I respect police officers anyway, but can you imagine if Shaq confronted you as a Miami Beach police officer? Man, would I give him respect!

I respect police officers anyway, but can you imagine if Shaq confronted you as a Miami Beach police officer? Man, would I give him respect!
    I'd give him everything I had on my person!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I'd give him everything I had on my person!
    Except your autographed picture of Oprah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quakers, Anglicans, and Mennonites
    Maybe instead of the word evangelical I should be using the words Pentecostal, Mormon, etc. And include most of the newer age mega churches in there as well, like World Harvest in Columbus. I have no doubt that they'd all be pro-slavery. I certainly wasn't including the Quakers in my evangelical statement, although they probably are technically considered evangelical.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Include Baptists in the above as well, at least the crazy Southern Baptists. It was formed pretty much because of it's pro-slavery stance, and it's now the largest protestant church in the US. But yeah, I'm way off base by saying that many of today's Christian churches would have been pro-slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Maybe instead of the word evangelical I should be using the words Pentecostal, Mormon, etc. And include most of the newer age mega churches in there as well, like World Harvest in Columbus. I have no doubt that they'd all be pro-slavery. I certainly wasn't including the Quakers in my evangelical statement, although they probably are technically considered evangelical.
    Talk about back-pedalling!

You didn't differentiate that in your previous statement -you made a blanket accusation.

Mormons aren't Christian by the way. Examine their doctrine.

And I happen to now quite a few Pentecostals, and they woud staunchly disagree with you. Especially the black members.

And please show evidence that the World Harvest Church, headed by Rod Parsley, has ever advocated such? You continually throw out accusations that are deflammatory and yet give nothing to back it up.

I think Randy in NC is Southern Baptist - so I guess he is racist?

I have members in my family who are SB. I know them well. You don't. And their church doctrine does not advocate, nor practice, racism.

Racism comes in all shapes and sizes.

Historically yes -some Baptist denominations supported racism. But we are talking about TODAY.

Oh, and by the way - historically speaking, Democrats supported segregation and racism back then. So does that count, and is it relevant?
    Last edited by GAC; 09-14-2005 at 11:11 AM.

I am a Baptist. I guess someone should advise Antioch Baptist Church in Huntington, which is predominantly African-American in membership, to quit holding annual joint services with the little Baptist church in Lavalette which I attend, because we are racists, or at least we would have been 200 years ago. Of course, those African-Americans who were in attendance at last Sunday's services at my church (not members at Antioch) need to be warned as well.

I am a Baptist.
    YOU ARE? That's it! You're off my Buddy List.

I guess someone should advise Antioch Baptist Church in Huntington, which is predominantly African-American in membership, to quit holding annual joint services with the little Baptist church in Lavalette which I attend, because we are racists, or at least we would have been 200 years ago. Of course, those African-Americans who were in attendance at last Sunday's services at my church (not members at Antioch) need to be warned as well.

They're probably looking around, while sitting in the pews, and wondering where their white hoods are and asking "Is this a cult?"
    Last edited by GAC; 09-14-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Mormons aren't Christian by the way. Examine their doctrine.
    They'd disagree with you.

How many black southern baptists were there in the mid 19th century RB and GAC?

It's funny that you guys think I don't know that there are large African American Baptist churches in America. It doesn't change my earlier comment, which was only aimed at Southern Baptists:

Include Baptists in the above as well, at least the crazy Southern Baptists

Turn Off Ads?