Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Want To Chat OSU-Texas?

Re: Anyone Want To Chat OSU-Texas?

Why Tressel continually goes to Zwick, I'll never know. But I do know that it's one of the single most frustrating things that a Bucks fan has to continually face.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought the officiating was good in this game, but that pass interference call in Texas's final drive was bush league. That was seriously a horrible call and very costly.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I thought the officiating was good in this game, but that pass interference call in Texas's final drive was bush league. That was seriously a horrible call and very costly.
    Agreed.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Texas didn't beat Ohio State in this game, Ohio State beat Ohio State.

This should have been an absolute blowout for OSU. Take those 3 turnovers and at least 2 should have been TD's. Hamby also dropped a TD pass that hit him in the letters. Pathetic display on offense. Too many dropped passes, too many missed chances, and too many times settling for a field goal.
    I wouldn't go that far. Lets not get carried away here. OSU could have won this game, perhaps should have won this game. But it was by no means a "should have been a blowout" game. This was a close, hard fought game.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 09-10-2005 at 11:52 PM.

Words can't explain how I feel right now...
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Mark it down, I think Zwick might be done as a starter in Columbus. Buckeye fans have good memories and his mistake, while one of many, will be remembered as the real back breaker in this game. I mentioned it as I was waiting for the last drive to start, either Justin Zwick comes out of this game as the hero or the goat. Is that fair? Not really, but Buckeye fans will remember his mistake that blew any chance for a last minute drive.

I think Smith will start from here on out unless he does something seriously wrong.

Also, as far as quarterbacks, why didn't Boeckman get a chance on that last drive. If I were the play there on the half yard line, I would have put in the shotgun with 3 receivers, Holmes, Ginn, and Gonzalez. Put everyone else on the line and protect Boeckman. He has the strongest arm (supposedly is what I've read) of the quarterbacks so I would just have him chuck it up and let one of our receivers go get it. I guess Smith was the logical choice, but he doesn't have the arm strength to put it way out there to the point our receiving corps speed would be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    Words can't explain how I feel right now...
    I think your avatar is doing a pretty good job.
    School's out. What did you expect?

It shouldn't have been a blowout, but this is a game where they outplayed the other team, was in a position to put it away and chose to take Tressel's patented "let's kick 50 yard field goals" approach. Funny thing is, as soon as Ginn got that first down, I said to my brother Tressel's going to do 3 quick runs, get stopped and try to kick a 50 yard field goal and miss. Then Texas will have a short field and they'll go take the lead." They do this all the time. They rely entirely too much on the field goal. The kicker was 5 for 6 and missed only a 50 yarder, and he barely missed that one. This was is on Tressel.

That's why I'm so frustrated. It's hard to get angry at Hamby's dropped TD because those things happen. But intentional stupidity by the coaching is what cost the Bucks this game and a potential golden season. If they win that game, they're in great shape to make another run at the National title.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I wouldn't go that far. Lets not get carried away here. OSU could have won this game, perhaps should have won this game. But it was by no means a "should have been a blowout" game. This was a close, hard fought game.
    Look at the OSU average field position, it was close to midfield. If our receivers don't drop some of those balls and our offense is merely average, then OSU should have gotten 2 TD's from the 3 turnovers. Later in the second half, Hamby dropped a pass that hit him in the numbers in the end zone.

I suppose credit should be given to the Texas defense, they were very good at covering the OSU receivers and pressuring the QB. I just feel that Tressel went into conservative mode every time the OSU offense approached the red zone. If the offense had used wide open play calling, then we could have possibly added those two TD's and this game isn't even close at the half.

As soon as Zwick started running, I had a bad feeling. How can you just flat out drop the ball. In that situation, the only thought in his mind should have been "DON'T FUMBLE." That's it!

I've never been a big fan of Tressel. I think he's been lucky as much as he's been good. I absolutely can't stand his approach to coaching. Unfortunately, I think he'll be around for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    It shouldn't have been a blowout, but this is a game where they outplayed the other team, was in a position to put it away and chose to take Tressel's patented "let's kick 50 yard field goals" approach. Funny thing is, as soon as Ginn got that first down, I said to my brother Tressel's going to do 3 quick runs, get stopped and try to kick a 50 yard field goal and miss. Then Texas will have a short field and they'll go take the lead." They do this all the time. They rely entirely too much on the field goal. The kicker was 5 for 6 and missed only a 50 yarder, and he barely missed that one. This was is on Tressel.

That's why I'm so frustrated. It's hard to get angry at Hamby's dropped TD because those things happen. But intentional stupidity by the coaching is what cost the Bucks this game and a potential golden season. If they win that game, they're in great shape to make another run at the National title.
    I agree 100%. I said the same thing as you after the first down, almost to the letter. I knew Tress would just be content to sit around and put on another field goal. It's so darn frustrating to sit there and know OSU will run it up the gut and be stopped.

One other play that got me, why did OSU decline the call on the last kickoff of the first half. Wouldn't Texas have had to rekick if OSU accepted. If you make Texas kick again, that just gives Ginn another chance to run one back. Granted the chance that it happens is 1,000:1, but I thought it was stupid to not even give him a chance. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there wouldn't have been another kick, I'm not positive that's the case.

Heck, one of the biggest plays of the game was Hawks personla foul on the kickoff right before halftime. That allowed them to get into field goal range when they probably had little chance to score before half. That was a bonehead move by Hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    One other play that got me, why did OSU decline the call on the last kickoff of the first half. Wouldn't Texas have had to rekick if OSU accepted. If you make Texas kick again, that just gives Ginn another chance to run one back. Granted the chance that it happens is 1,000:1, but I thought it was stupid to not even give him a chance. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there wouldn't have been another kick, I'm not positive that's the case.

Yes, they would have had to re-kick it with no time left on the clock. Any smart coach also would also squib kick in that situation to prevent a possible TD return.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

MVM, I have very rarely agreed with you on anything Reds related but we see eye to eye on football. This loss is on Tressel and his sweater vest conservatism. How many times did we throw the ball down field? I cannot recall even an attempt except for the only touchdown we had! Furthermore, Teddy Ginn was a non factor. Last week versus Miami the offense seemed to be almost catered to his talents. I think he converted one first down and had a decent kickoff return. It was almost like we were trying to mimic Texas's offense. I love it how we can never put teams away doesnt matter what team it is. Bottom line though, I feel bad for the defense, hats off to the linebacking trio tonight.

Turn Off Ads?