Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Kearns, Manchild

Re: Austin Kearns, Manchild

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Or maybe people should mind their own personal business.
    I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business. And Kearns has had a disappointing season. Your relationship with him and his family doesn't change that.
    I want him to succeed. But he's got to want to succeed also. Stardom is a cruel thing. But it doesn't draw lines. You either make it, or you don't.

I'd like the players to be on the field if they are in good health.
    Last edited by Garrett; 09-15-2005 at 10:00 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business. And Kearns has had a disappointing season. Your relationship with him and his family doesn't change that.
    I want him to succeed. But he's got to want to succeed also. Stardom is a cruel thing. But it doesn't draw lines. You either make it, or you don't.

And I am a taxpayer, so I want to know which roads you plan on using today. To make things easy, just tell me where you will be...and at what times. I'll just draw my own conclusions at that point.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Im a one game a year ticket holder... And my opinion means just as much as yours does. Im not exactly keen to this entitlement attitude you have toward what these humans, yes humans, do in their personal lives.

I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business.
    Oh, please.

Yeah, feel free to drive up to Griffey's house and tell him that you feel the need to check out what's in his medicine cabinet because you're a Reds season ticket holder. Then tell him that you're going to be planning his meals for the rest of the season and that he needs to buzz your cell nightly to tell you what he's up to.

I'm sure that'll turn out well for you.

A player's personal life and their family's personal life is none of your concern. Your paying money to watch grown men toss a ball around doesn't change that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business.
    That is quite possibly the most ludacris statement I have ever heard. Being a season ticket holder gives you no right whatsoever to criticize a player for tending to personal family issues. None.

Then I'd hope when/if you have a family member who is sick or passes away, you don't take a day a day off of work. I have a feeling if you went to your boss and said you had a family illness and you needed a few days off work and he used your logic and told you no....you'd be irate.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

And if I go to McDonald's that doesn't make your life my business. I wouldn't think you should leave the bedside of an ailing parent because I wanted more fries. :thumbdown
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

This is a pile on free for all, Garrett. If I were you, I would re-evaluate your opinion of the situation as it is clear it is not popular to criticize even a struggling athlete for dealing with his personal families issues at the end of a season where the games are basically meaningless.

I guess I could see this coming from a minority of fans if the Reds are in the middle of a heated pennant chase and Austin left...not that I would excuse it but I would expect that. But the end of a season where the Reds are kaput in terms of post season and you are hammering him? :thumbdown

A little bit of understanding regarding a situation that is greater than your precious season ticket would do wonders for you. These ballplayers are people who have lives outside of the diamond. When happens off that diamond is really none of your concern.

I read the papers closely.
    Yeah those seemed to help you out alot.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    This is a pile on free for all, Garrett. If I were you, I would re-evaluate your opinion of the situation as it is clear it is not popular to criticize even a struggling athlete for dealing with his personal families issues at the end of a season where the games are basically meaningless.
    Let's not forget that with the recent expansion of the rossiters, we are now able to see the future for the Reds--in all of it's glory--right before your very eyes. If Denorfria gets a few more ABs in the month of September, that helps the club in the long run, right?

If his employer doesn't have a problem with it then why do you?

If people would remember that this is a business then I think their frustration levels might go down.

You buying season tickets is the same as you going to the grocery and buying Frosted Flakes. Just because you spend money on a Kellog's product doesn't mean you get to decide if the CEO's secretary can have a leave of absence. And that's all a season ticket is. A product that you've purchased.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

If people would remember that this is a business then I think their frustration levels might go down.
    But gee... it's a game.

BTW Arthur Rhodes manchild bailed on his team and they're in the race.

Maybe life is more important than business and a game?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Maybe life is more important than business and a game?
    yep, there we go - it is only a game. even if it is his job, frankly, it is only a job. we should never let our jobs take over our lives...if we spend all of that life working, what is it we are working for?
    besides, Clemens is a rather special person...a guy like that comes along once, maybe twice in a lifetime. i am not talking just talent wise, but person wise. and, let us say Kearns is visiting someone who is sick...IMHO, it is nice to spend out time with and cherish those who are with us as much as we can, job or game be darned.
    one more thing...Clemens spent a couple days with his mother before her death. Kearns is missing, what, a couple of days as well? so, does that mean Kearns is the bigger bum, because he happens to play every day, while Clemens is only a pitcher?
    nah. afraid i cannot buy that.

Last edited by WMR; 09-15-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Geez, this thread is totally inappropriate. There is a whole lot more pressing issues that can be worried about in the game then why Austin needed some time off. Heck, I don't care if the Reds were one game out of the wild card right now, if Austin feels he needs to be home attending to personal matters, that's definately his choice. If he feels he needs to be there, then his mind would be there anyways so why should we as fans that have no idea so anything?

Look at the Indians, their best reliever just left for the rest of the season for personal reasons and they are 1 game up in the Wild Card. I haven't heard any public backlash for that. In the end, all of these players have families and go through the same things as us.

Maybe, Garrett, the next time that you have some personal problems, your employer should not allow you to take off work. Same type of situation here as the team is Austin's employer.

I haven't heard any public backlash for that.
    But have you talked to the "season ticket" holders, they have veto rights on personal issues from what I understand.

Turn Off Ads?