Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Kearns, Manchild

Re: Austin Kearns, Manchild

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    But have you talked to the "season ticket" holders, they have veto rights on personal issues from what I understand.

As I understand, the Indians are polling them right now before making the final decision.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21

As I understand, the Indians are polling them right now before making the final decision.
    I heard because Boone has had such a stinker of a year that he has to conduct the test too. It's the least he can do considering how much "he's not been there" even while he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I'm a Reds Season Ticket Holder, and that makes the Reds employees my business.
    You're obviously confused about what exactly that entitles you to. That entitles you to a season's worth of Reds home games. Nothing else. Doesn't make you so special that you can invade the privacy of the players. That could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board. It's private business. Something you need to stay out of.

The difference between Clemens and Kearns is job security. If Clemens would have gone out there and pitched awful and came out after the third inning, he knows he'll still have a job. If Kearns goes out there and goes 1-12 with 6 K's then there is Pena and Denorfia knocking on the door to take his spot.

Maybe Austin needs someone to publicize the reasons for his absences.
    Why? Why should he have to publicize what is a private matter? It's obviously a possible family situation.

Would it make you feel better and ease your conscience if you find out a family member is gravely ill or died?

Sure the kid has had a rough up and down year - but lets find something legitimate to nit-pick about.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Roger Clemens is obligated to be with his team ONLY on the days he pitches, thus he has plenty of time to take care of personal business. My heart goes out to him because of his loss, but it was entirely his choice to pitch yesterday... he had just spent a few days with his ill mother and said she'd have wanted him to pitch.

The situations between Roger Clemens and Austin Kearns are entirely different. Obviously, Austin's boss felt his PRIVATE reason(s) was legitimate. It is none of our business... and for the life of me, I can not figure out why you think it is yours.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Re: We mourn Austin Kearns, R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Perhaps you had better change the title of the thread.
    Well, he began with an inappropriate title for the thread (since changed) and spiraled down hill from there.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Why? Why should he have to publicize what is a private matter? It's obviously a possible family situation.

Would it make you feel better and ease your conscience if you find out a family member is gravely ill or died?

Sure the kid has had a rough up and down year - but lets find something legitimate to nit-pick about.
    Thank you

Garrett:

Your OP raises a very good comparision, unfortunatly for you Austin Kearns plays for the Cincinnati Reds and for some reason is above reproach. Therefore we just look at everything he does from a certain perspectve, your rose-colored glasses should be in the mail.

Just feel fortunate that you did not compare him to Wily Mo Pena; for your information we don't acknowledge how he has been treated by this orgainization and how he has responded. We just wait for that breakout season for AK- should be any day now. As long as that 24? year old can keep his weight in check; see you at 35.

BTW although I dislike him, anybody want to make the argument that Austin Kearns was more valuable this year than Rich Aurilla?
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    Garrett:

Your OP raises a very good comparision, unfortunatly for you Austin Kearns plays for the Cincinnati Reds and for some reason is above reproach. Therefore we just look at everything he does from a certain perspectve, your rose-colored glasses should be in the mail.

Just feel fortunate that you did not compare him to Wily Mo Pena; for your information we don't acknowledge how he has been treated by this orgainization and how he has responded. We just wait for that breakout season for AK- should be any day now. As long as that 24? year old can keep his weight in check; see you at 35.

BTW although I dislike him, anybody want to make the argument that Austin Kearns was more valuable this year than Rich Aurilla?
    What does any of that have to do with the fact that Austin Kearns' personal life is none of your business?

I have to give you credit though. It's not often that I get to see a strawman dance with a red herring in a post. That was a unique treat, but I might suggest that you isolate either the strawman OR the red herring next time. Either/or is always best when attempting to move the conversation dramatically off-topic.

Oh, BTW- I donated money to Redszone previously. As both you and Garrett have used bandwidth that I've helped purchase, that means that the next time you or he have a family member who's gravely ill, I'll be expecting a PM from you both so that I may give you permission to visit your family member in the hospital. In fact, using Garrett's logic, all subscribers really should know what you're doing at all times and approve all your posts in advance.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'll say one thing. Things are so much more entertaining over here than the "Old Guard". Sorry to all of you on my attack of the team's underperforming sacred cow. You'd think I wanted to close down all the ball fields for the underpriviledged in Lexington!!
    Truth be told: I like Austin, and I want him to succeed. I love the Reds, but I wonder about Kearns' maturity, and think he could be trying much harder.I could care less about his personal life-I just want him to produce. But like Marty has said (also curiously an object of hostility amongst this group), it's time to put up or shut up, and the batting average is - what it is.
    Gosh, if only i had questioned Aurelia!
    Last edited by Garrett; 09-16-2005 at 08:59 AM.

Glad to see so many posters with the right answer to this silly post and the poster deserves to get the backlash he is getting. I normally wouldn't even bother but someone not KNOWING THE FACTS and posting this thread isn't thinking to well,it may really be something excusable and likely is.GO CINCY!!!!!

I'll say one thing. Things are so much more entertaining over here than the "Old Guard".
    I guess entertaining must not be code for "talking about baseball" because the orginal post wasn't about that at all.
    Last edited by westofyou; 09-16-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Roger Clemens is obligated to be with his team ONLY on the days he pitches,
    Excellent point TB. Here we have a pitcher who signed a contract for around 20 Mil - and he only had to be there on the days he pitches.

And a comparison is drawn between Clemens and Kearns to show that Kearns is being coddled??

I thought the Kevin Brown contract several years ago, with it's stipulations on air travel, hotel rooms, family members, etc. was ridiculous, until I saw this Clemen's contract.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Sorry to all of you on my attack of the team's underperforming sacred cow.
    Somehow, I don't remember you mentioning this at all.

Your beef (from my perspective) was with Austin asking for, and being granted, PERSONAL time to attend to an unpublicized PERSONAL matter when you feel his first priority should lie with his team and with you.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?