Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Music Downloading

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Music Downloading

    I'm still trying to do some reseacrh on which is the best for music downloading. It's for my teenagers not me. My kids want to be able to burn them to CD's, and that seems to be the sticking point. Neither of my kids have iPods.

    I tried the free trial on Yahoo's Unlimited Music, which allows you to use all their features, but when my son tried to burn songs to CD (which they say you can do), Yahoo tells them they don't have burn rights to that song.

    So I cancelled that subscription.

    I've looked into Rhapsody, which seems to be the most popular. But with my kids, that would get kinda expensive (.99/per download?).

    Has anyone used this MYMusic?.... http://www.mymusicinc.com/cbhome.htm?hop=magick94

    I read through this site, and they state that everything they provide is legal - including downloading, sharing, and burning. The have a "Legal" tab that lists some of the recent court rulings siding with file sharing over the record industry.

    But I am still skeptical. They charge you a one-time fee.

    It seems like it's like KazaaLite.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,633

    Re: Music Downloading

    You can buy songs through iTunes and burn it with iTunes. Obviously the songs cost money but the iTunes application is free and simple to use. Then again, since I do have an iPod, I really don't burn often enough to know all the facts about the other resources out there.

  3. #3
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,126

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC

    Has anyone used this MYMusic?.... http://www.mymusicinc.com/cbhome.htm?hop=magick94

    I read through this site, and they state that everything they provide is legal - including downloading, sharing, and burning. The have a "Legal" tab that lists some of the recent court rulings siding with file sharing over the record industry.

    But I am still skeptical. They charge you a one-time fee.

    It seems like it's like KazaaLite.

    GAC, what these people are selling, if I understand correctly, is the software for peer to peer sharing.

    Basically, it's Kazaa "heavy" (because Kazaa's software is free). Any "sharing" of copyrighted material would still be illegal.

    Limewire does approximately the same thing. They have a "free" version of their software (with ads) and a paid verson (without). You "pay" for "tech support" of the software, NOT the songs (or whatever you choose to share).

    These guys are selling you "the gun" and teaching you how to shoot. If you choose to hurt someone, well that's YOUR choice.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    You "pay" for "tech support" of the software, NOT the songs (or whatever you choose to share).
    In the FAQ's that's what they are saying the fee is for - tech support and to run the site.

    These guys are selling you "the gun" and teaching you how to shoot. If you choose to hurt someone, well that's YOUR choice.
    I think you're right. You could still get burned if the record industry finds you out and decides to prosecute.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-15-2005 at 09:43 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  5. #5
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Re: Music Downloading

    So my next question is - what is an iPod? It's made by Apple right?... and is just a portable device that you hook up to your computer via a USB and dowload the music onto for listening purposes only?

    Give me some recommendations as to type, where to go to buy, and cost?

    Thanks all
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #6
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,426

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So my next question is - what is an iPod? It's made by Apple right?... and is just a portable device that you hook up to your computer via a USB and dowload the music onto for listening purposes only?
    Your description is correct. USB2 is a better choice for transferring the music files because they take quite a while to move over slow USB connections.

    http://www.apple.com/ipod/

    My son and I each have the now-discontinued iPod Mini. He loves it. I haven't used mine as much as I thought I would.

    I bought mine refurbished, rather than new. The iPod Shuffle is available refurbished starting at $79. Here's a page of refurbished iPod deals from earlier this month.
    http://dealmac.com/deals/The-Apple-S...-79/94907.html
    Last edited by Unassisted; 09-15-2005 at 10:20 AM.

  7. #7
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Your description is correct. USB2 is a better choice for transferring the music files because they take quite a while to move over slow USB connections.

    http://www.apple.com/ipod/

    My son and I each have the now-discontinued iPod Mini. He loves it. I haven't used mine as much as I thought I would.

    I bought mine refurbished, rather than new. The iPod Shuffle is available refurbished starting at $79. Here's a page of refurbished iPod deals from earlier this month.
    http://dealmac.com/deals/The-Apple-S...-79/94907.html
    Thanks Una. Can you also hook these iPods up in your car to play over your existing stereo system?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #8
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,426

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Thanks Una. Can you also hook these iPods up in your car to play over your existing stereo system?
    Like oneupper, we have FM transmitters to play them through the car stereo or my son's boombox.

    I've been considering the purchase of standalone battery-powered speakers to use to listen without headphones. It's also possible to plug computer speakers into the headphone jack for that purpose.

  9. #9
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,126

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So my next question is - what is an iPod? It's made by Apple right?... and is just a portable device that you hook up to your computer via a USB and dowload the music onto for listening purposes only?

    Give me some recommendations as to type, where to go to buy, and cost?

    Thanks all
    An "iPod" is exactly what you say...but somewhat more. Since it has a hard drive (or flash drive), it is basically a "limited" computer. If you learn how to use it, you can store files on it and even use it for calendar and other purposes ( la PDA). One variation (iPod Photo) can be used to carry and show off your pictures. Apple and Motorola recently introduced a ipod-phone (100 songs).

    Apple makes the "iPod" which has become a standard of sorts, but other manufacturers (Dell and many others) have similar devices, with the same (or similar) functionality.

    Im partial to the pod, because I'm partial to macs (I guess). However, many windows users agree that the ipod (and iTunes) is the best out there for ease of use and features. I have an ipod (20 GB, third generation, as in "last year"), my daughter has an ipod mini (4 GB), which she takes to school. Calculate about 250 songs per GB.

    My iPod is in the car most of the time and it has practically the entire family's music collection. With an FM Transmitter, we can listen to my wife's stuff (Latin), my kid's stuff (punk rock) or my stuff thru the car stereo. I just downloaded the latest Harry Potter Audiobook and will be listening to that when I travel.

    Oh, I didn't mention. When you get an ipod, one thing you do is to import all your CDs (or those you want), into iTunes (and from there to the pod). Beats carrying CDs around.

    As to which one to buy, the variables are capacity, portability and price.

    If you want to carry ALL your stuff around (or put the pod in the car). I'd get a large capacity ipod. 20 GB goes for$299 and 60 GB for $399 (you have to have lots of CDs to fill that one up).

    For your kids, if you want to win "Dad of the year", i'd get the new ipod nano. 4GB for $249.

    If you want to jog with this thing, get the ipod shuffle 512 MB - $99.

    Apple's site can help.

    As for songs...if you want to do it cheap, buy used CDs on Amazon.com ($5 or less including shipping) and import them. Otherwise, the iTunes music store is very easy to navigate. 99cents, but no monthly fees and you can Burn your CDS.

    After a while, you won't be burning CDs anymore.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Plays The Right Way Hap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    796.357
    Posts
    1,706

    Re: Music Downloading

    I am not a crook, but I have downloaded hundreds if not thousands of songs and movies using kazaalite and I have never had a problem and I have never paid for a single one and I don't care what the FBI thinks. I have burned dozens of CDs and DVDs for personal use.
    .

  11. #11
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    I am not a crook, but I have downloaded hundreds if not thousands of songs and movies using kazaalite and I have never had a problem and I have never paid for a single one and I don't care what the FBI thinks. I have burned dozens of CDs and DVDs for personal use.
    You may not think you're a crook - but THEY will. And that is what matters IF you get caught.

    But I understand where you are coming from. I had Kazaalite too for a long time. Worked great too. I always turned off the file sharing option, which they said would greatly minimize one getting caught because the record industry was monitoring that aspect. I Just didn't want to get caught and possibly sued for using it. So I got rid of it.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  12. #12
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Music Downloading

    With the Yahoo Music service it costs .79 to make the song burnable vs .99 with iTunes. The difference between the two is a monthly subscription with Yahoo which allows you download any song in their catalog to certain players. The .79 is only paid if you want to be able to burn it to a CD. Itunes has no subscription fee but it is .99 to download the song, doesn't matter if you are burning or just moving to a player.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  13. #13
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Music Downloading

    I don't understand this completely myself. I remember thinking it was cool recording albums onto 8 track tapes.

    I had the yellow one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  14. #14
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I don't understand this completely myself. I remember thinking it was cool recording albums onto 8 track tapes.

    I had the yellow one.
    I had a red one!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  15. #15
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,574

    Re: Music Downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    With the Yahoo Music service it costs .79 to make the song burnable vs .99 with iTunes..... The .79 is only paid if you want to be able to burn it to a CD.
    Yeah - the Yahoo was $5/month (if paid in one lump payment of $59), and then .79/download.

    Maybe it was just the song(s) that my son was trying to download; but he told me that when he tried to burn them (using the Yahoo player provided), it said they didn't have burn rights to that song. Now I myself didn't see the actual message - I'm only going on what my son told me.

    I'm going to get ahold of Yahoo support and see if that is right.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25