Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music Downloading

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Music Downloading

Here is an example of a FM Transmitter (I think this one is for a mini-ipod)

http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/airplay.shtml

put it on top of the pod...look for a frequency and you're done.

My next car will have (necessarily) an aux input to make this unnecessary.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

You can wireless FM transmitters from 25-50 bucks. They basically plug into your cigarette lighter and your iPod and that's it.

You can also get a hardwire FM transmitter that you install beside your radio. The quality of sound you get with these is much better and they are also cheaper (around 20 bucks). The downside is, there's some installation involved.

I own an iriver and absolutely love it. When everyone on campus has an iPod, they aren't so distinguishing anymore.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    there is no charge from Yahoo to download(other that the monthly subsription). The .79 is if you want to burn the song to a CD. If you are downloading and transferring to a compatible player there is no charge.
    My understanding is that, like Napster, once you do not decide to renew your subscription that music becomes unplayable. Am I right?

If so...you are bonded for life.

I prefer to own my music...somehow.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    My understanding is that, like Napster, once you do not decide to renew your subscription that music becomes unplayable. Am I right?

If so...you are bonded for life.

I prefer to own my music...somehow.
    Yes, napster requires you to resync your player every few days. Rhapsody requires you to do it every month.

I have Rhapsody and other than there's some load time on my mp3 player due to the protected .wma format, you don't notice a difference. It's also lighter on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I understand. But if I don't have an iPod, then all I can do is listen on my computer right? But that is free? The only time I pay a fee is if I want to burn it to CD or download to an iPod?
    Sorry I hadn't answered this.

You pay a fee to download music from the store to your computer.

After that you can burn it to CDs as many times as you want (there are SOME limitations) OR transfer it to your ipod (if you choose to buy one). The music you transfer from your own CDs to your computer IS YOURS. You do not have to pay for that again and can burn it to CDs or put it on your pod.

What you CANT (or shouldn't do), is transfer YOUR songs to somebody else's computer (or ipod). That is the equivalent of file-sharing over the net (albeit much less detectable).

I have a couple of those that I use with portable CD players that I have bought, so as to listen to CD's in the car. Same thing? That is what I'd like to do with an IPod if I get one. That is where I would get the most use out of it - while in my car.
    These should work. If the input is a stereo mini-jack (such as used for headphones).

GAC MyMusic is scam site.

There is no way to get past the 99 cent per song to own it thing.

Bit torrent is a cool program, look into it.

Oh and get the tape deck thing, FM Transmitters suck because of interference.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Again - thanks everyone.

I just downloaded iTunes and have been kinda messing with it.

Did a search on the Beatles and what they provided is pretty limited (sucks).

Whenever I search on any particular Beatle song it comes up- but only by other artists, not the Beatles (who wants that? ).

Got to sample some old Paul Revere and Deep Purple though.

I have a portable CD player that will play MP3 format. I bought it at Wal-Marts. It came with the cassette car adapter.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-15-2005 at 01:26 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    You can wireless FM transmitters from 25-50 bucks. They basically plug into your cigarette lighter and your iPod and that's it.

You can also get a hardwire FM transmitter that you install beside your radio. The quality of sound you get with these is much better and they are also cheaper (around 20 bucks). The downside is, there's some installation involved.
    But with the FM transmitter setup, don't you have to use headphones from the iPod -or will it play through your car stereo speakers?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

But with the FM transmitter setup, don't you have to use headphones from the iPod -or will it play through your car stereo speakers?
    It uses the headphone jack to connect to the FM transmitter.

If you use the wireless, the FM transmitter will broadcast over a frequency you can set and then you simply tune to that frequency on your radio.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I have a couple of those that I use with portable CD players that I have bought, so as to listen to CD's in the car. Same thing? That is what I'd like to do with an IPod if I get one. That is where I would get the most use out of it - while in my car.
    That should work. Those adapters are a technology that hasn't changed in the last 20 years.

Again - thanks everyone.

I just downloaded iTunes and have been kinda messing with it.

Did a search on the Beatles and what they provided is pretty limited (sucks).

Whenever I search on any particular Beatle song it comes up- but only by other artists, not the Beatles (who wants that? ).

Got to sample some old Paul Revere and Deep Purple though.

I have a portable CD player that will play MP3 format. I bought it at Wal-Marts. It came with the cassette car adapter.
    Yep. Not everyone has been wooed over by Steve Jobs. The Beatles are notoriously absent, since they have trademark issues with Apple (Remember the Apple Label?).

Sony Music is apparently negotiating with Apple, since they were trying to impose their own format (without much success),and they do have quite a stable of artists. For now, nada.

No AC/DC, No Led Zepellin, to name a few.

Don't expect to get everything you want/like online. Some obscure stuff isn't available for download anywhere (legally).

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's how those work:

FM transmitter plugs in to iPod headphone jack. (No headphones required.)
    Music from iPod goes into transmitter.
    Transmitter sends music on a specific frequency in the FM band.
    Any nearby FM radio tuned to that frequency receives music from the transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Here's how those work:

FM transmitter plugs in to iPod headphone jack. (No headphones required.)
    Music from iPod goes into transmitter.
    Transmitter sends music on a specific frequency in the FM band.
    Any nearby FM radio tuned to that frequency receives music from the transmitter.
    So it's alot like those old FM converters we use to buy 30+ years ago when they only installed AM radios in cars.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Yep. Not everyone has been wooed over by Steve Jobs. The Beatles are notoriously absent, since they have trademark issues with Apple (Remember the Apple Label?).

Sony Music is apparently negotiating with Apple, since they were trying to impose their own format (without much success),and they do have quite a stable of artists. For now, nada.

No AC/DC, No Led Zepellin, to name a few.

Don't expect to get everything you want/like online. Some obscure stuff isn't available for download anywhere (legally).
    Thats OK - I already have the Beatles and Led Zep catalogs already. But there is some older 60's music I'd like to pick up if possible. But it's mainly for the kids, and their tastes are more current, and the music is probably more readily available.

Turn Off Ads?