Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Downloading

Music Downloading

I'm still trying to do some reseacrh on which is the best for music downloading. It's for my teenagers not me. My kids want to be able to burn them to CD's, and that seems to be the sticking point. Neither of my kids have iPods.

I tried the free trial on Yahoo's Unlimited Music, which allows you to use all their features, but when my son tried to burn songs to CD (which they say you can do), Yahoo tells them they don't have burn rights to that song.

So I cancelled that subscription.

I've looked into Rhapsody, which seems to be the most popular. But with my kids, that would get kinda expensive (.99/per download?).

Has anyone used this MYMusic?.... http://www.mymusicinc.com/cbhome.htm?hop=magick94

I read through this site, and they state that everything they provide is legal - including downloading, sharing, and burning. The have a "Legal" tab that lists some of the recent court rulings siding with file sharing over the record industry.

But I am still skeptical. They charge you a one-time fee.

It seems like it's like KazaaLite.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Music Downloading

You can buy songs through iTunes and burn it with iTunes. Obviously the songs cost money but the iTunes application is free and simple to use. Then again, since I do have an iPod, I really don't burn often enough to know all the facts about the other resources out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

Has anyone used this MYMusic?.... http://www.mymusicinc.com/cbhome.htm?hop=magick94

I read through this site, and they state that everything they provide is legal - including downloading, sharing, and burning. The have a "Legal" tab that lists some of the recent court rulings siding with file sharing over the record industry.

But I am still skeptical. They charge you a one-time fee.

It seems like it's like KazaaLite.

GAC, what these people are selling, if I understand correctly, is the software for peer to peer sharing.

Basically, it's Kazaa "heavy" (because Kazaa's software is free). Any "sharing" of copyrighted material would still be illegal.

Limewire does approximately the same thing. They have a "free" version of their software (with ads) and a paid verson (without). You "pay" for "tech support" of the software, NOT the songs (or whatever you choose to share).

These guys are selling you "the gun" and teaching you how to shoot. If you choose to hurt someone, well that's YOUR choice.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    You "pay" for "tech support" of the software, NOT the songs (or whatever you choose to share).
    In the FAQ's that's what they are saying the fee is for - tech support and to run the site.

These guys are selling you "the gun" and teaching you how to shoot. If you choose to hurt someone, well that's YOUR choice.
    I think you're right. You could still get burned if the record industry finds you out and decides to prosecute.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-15-2005 at 09:43 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

So my next question is - what is an iPod? It's made by Apple right?... and is just a portable device that you hook up to your computer via a USB and dowload the music onto for listening purposes only?

Give me some recommendations as to type, where to go to buy, and cost?

Thanks all

I am not a crook, but I have downloaded hundreds if not thousands of songs and movies using kazaalite and I have never had a problem and I have never paid for a single one and I don't care what the FBI thinks. I have burned dozens of CDs and DVDs for personal use.

With the Yahoo Music service it costs .79 to make the song burnable vs .99 with iTunes. The difference between the two is a monthly subscription with Yahoo which allows you download any song in their catalog to certain players. The .79 is only paid if you want to be able to burn it to a CD. Itunes has no subscription fee but it is .99 to download the song, doesn't matter if you are burning or just moving to a player.

I don't understand this completely myself. I remember thinking it was cool recording albums onto 8 track tapes.

I had the yellow one.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So my next question is - what is an iPod? It's made by Apple right?... and is just a portable device that you hook up to your computer via a USB and dowload the music onto for listening purposes only?
    Your description is correct. USB2 is a better choice for transferring the music files because they take quite a while to move over slow USB connections.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

My son and I each have the now-discontinued iPod Mini. He loves it. I haven't used mine as much as I thought I would.

I bought mine refurbished, rather than new. The iPod Shuffle is available refurbished starting at $79. Here's a page of refurbished iPod deals from earlier this month.
    http://dealmac.com/deals/The-Apple-S...-79/94907.html
    Last edited by Unassisted; 09-15-2005 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    With the Yahoo Music service it costs .79 to make the song burnable vs .99 with iTunes..... The .79 is only paid if you want to be able to burn it to a CD.
    Yeah - the Yahoo was $5/month (if paid in one lump payment of $59), and then .79/download.

Maybe it was just the song(s) that my son was trying to download; but he told me that when he tried to burn them (using the Yahoo player provided), it said they didn't have burn rights to that song. Now I myself didn't see the actual message - I'm only going on what my son told me.

I'm going to get ahold of Yahoo support and see if that is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Your description is correct. USB2 is a better choice for transferring the music files because they take quite a while to move over slow USB connections.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

My son and I each have the now-discontinued iPod Mini. He loves it. I haven't used mine as much as I thought I would.

I bought mine refurbished, rather than new. The iPod Shuffle is available refurbished starting at $79. Here's a page of refurbished iPod deals from earlier this month.
    http://dealmac.com/deals/The-Apple-S...-79/94907.html
    Thanks Una. Can you also hook these iPods up in your car to play over your existing stereo system?

So my next question is - what is an iPod?
    That just sounds damn funny.

I guess Job's missed peppering your house with press eh?

Ipods are the Sony Walkman of the 21st century, or should I say Betamax?
    Last edited by westofyou; 09-15-2005 at 10:55 AM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

GAC, here's a good comparison of music download services at Kim Komando's site.

http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8698

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    I am not a crook, but I have downloaded hundreds if not thousands of songs and movies using kazaalite and I have never had a problem and I have never paid for a single one and I don't care what the FBI thinks. I have burned dozens of CDs and DVDs for personal use.
    You may not think you're a crook - but THEY will. And that is what matters IF you get caught.

But I understand where you are coming from. I had Kazaalite too for a long time. Worked great too. I always turned off the file sharing option, which they said would greatly minimize one getting caught because the record industry was monitoring that aspect. I Just didn't want to get caught and possibly sued for using it. So I got rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    GAC, here's a good comparison of music download services at Kim Komando's site.

http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8698
    I luv that website, and her radio show. Alot of good stuff on both.

Turn Off Ads?