Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Downloading

Re: Music Downloading

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I don't understand this completely myself. I remember thinking it was cool recording albums onto 8 track tapes.

I had the yellow one.
    I had a red one!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That just sound damn funny.

I guess Job's missed peppering your house with press eh?

Ipods are the Sony Walkman of the 21st century, or should I say Betamax?

I was dragged kicking and screaming from 8-tracks to cassettes.

I still have hundreds of my Dad's old 78 rpms. Just gotta find a player for them someday.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    GAC, here's a good comparison of music download services at Kim Komando's site.

http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8698
    Thanks Una - It looks like what I need to do is get the kids refurbished or inexpensive iPods rather then paying these download fees everytime they want to burn a CD. That could get expensive. And these IPods seem to have varying memory capabilities that allows you to down load alot of songs into it for playing. Which I am assuming you can wipe it out when you're ready, download more, and keep repeating the process.

They are gonna be mowing alot of yeards and other chores to earn them badboys and pay Dad back.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    So my next question is - what is an iPod? It's made by Apple right?... and is just a portable device that you hook up to your computer via a USB and dowload the music onto for listening purposes only?

Give me some recommendations as to type, where to go to buy, and cost?

Thanks all
    An "iPod" is exactly what you say...but somewhat more. Since it has a hard drive (or flash drive), it is basically a "limited" computer. If you learn how to use it, you can store files on it and even use it for calendar and other purposes (á la PDA). One variation (iPod Photo) can be used to carry and show off your pictures. Apple and Motorola recently introduced a ipod-phone (100 songs).

Apple makes the "iPod" which has become a standard of sorts, but other manufacturers (Dell and many others) have similar devices, with the same (or similar) functionality.

Im partial to the pod, because I'm partial to macs (I guess). However, many windows users agree that the ipod (and iTunes) is the best out there for ease of use and features. I have an ipod (20 GB, third generation, as in "last year"), my daughter has an ipod mini (4 GB), which she takes to school. Calculate about 250 songs per GB.

My iPod is in the car most of the time and it has practically the entire family's music collection. With an FM Transmitter, we can listen to my wife's stuff (Latin), my kid's stuff (punk rock) or my stuff thru the car stereo. I just downloaded the latest Harry Potter Audiobook and will be listening to that when I travel.

Oh, I didn't mention. When you get an ipod, one thing you do is to import all your CDs (or those you want), into iTunes (and from there to the pod). Beats carrying CDs around.

As to which one to buy, the variables are capacity, portability and price.

If you want to carry ALL your stuff around (or put the pod in the car). I'd get a large capacity ipod. 20 GB goes for$299 and 60 GB for $399 (you have to have lots of CDs to fill that one up).

For your kids, if you want to win "Dad of the year", i'd get the new ipod nano. 4GB for $249.

If you want to jog with this thing, get the ipod shuffle 512 MB - $99.

Apple's site can help.

As for songs...if you want to do it cheap, buy used CDs on Amazon.com ($5 or less including shipping) and import them. Otherwise, the iTunes music store is very easy to navigate. 99cents, but no monthly fees and you can Burn your CDS.

After a while, you won't be burning CDs anymore.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

GAC....

I must add. You do NOT need an iPod to use iTunes and the iTunes Store.

You can download iTunes for FREE, use it import your CDs, or buy songs from the store.

You can burn CDs and mix and match stuff from your CDs and downloaded stuff.

You might want to start there.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Thanks oneupper -that is what I thought. Why burn CDs when you can take the Pod with you that has it all.

How does it hook into your existing car stereo system? Do you have to have a newer system that has the capability? My cars simply have combo radio/cassette players.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    GAC....

I must add. You do NOT need an iPod to use iTunes and the iTunes Store.

You can download iTunes for FREE, use it import your CDs, or buy songs from the store.

You can burn CDs and mix and match stuff from your CDs and downloaded stuff.

You might want to start there.
    I understand. But if I don't have an iPod, then all I can do is listen on my computer right? But that is free? The only time I pay a fee is if I want to burn it to CD or download to an iPod?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Thanks Una. Can you also hook these iPods up in your car to play over your existing stereo system?
    Like oneupper, we have FM transmitters to play them through the car stereo or my son's boombox.

I've been considering the purchase of standalone battery-powered speakers to use to listen without headphones. It's also possible to plug computer speakers into the headphone jack for that purpose.

So you're saying I would need to buy a separate FM transmitter with the capability to play the iPod - it can't be hooked up via my existing radio?

Here in Ohio - it is illegal to listen with headphones in the car while driving (I got stopped once for it ).

I understand. But if I don't have an iPod, then all I can do is listen on my computer right? But that is free? The only time I pay a fee is if I want to burn it to CD or download to an iPod?
    To listen to entire songs, you must pay for the download at the iTunes store. The only thing that's free is the iTunes software, the podcasts and the 30-second samples that let you browse and preview songs before you pay to download.

Once you pay for and download music there, you can load it into the iPod or burn it onto a CD. I think you can only burn each song to CD 5 times.

If you have MP3s that you've acquired from your Kazaa days, you can upload or burn them at will with the iTunes software.

The software is free. Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

So you're saying I would need to buy a separate FM transmitter with the capability to play the iPod - it can't be hooked up via my existing radio?
    The FM transmitter is a separate purchase. Many companies make transmitters that are smaller than the iPod. A few car stereo manufacturers make models that you can directly wire an iPod to.

You could also use a cassette adaptor to wire the iPod to the car stereo if the car stereo has a cassette player.

They are gonna be mowing alot of yeards and other chores to earn them badboys and pay Dad back.
    My kid saved up his allowance for months to get his iPod. He wasn't too pleased when I bought my nearly identical refurb for $40 less than he paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    You could also use a cassette adaptor to wire the iPod to the car stereo if the car stereo has a cassette player.
    I have a couple of those that I use with portable CD players that I have bought, so as to listen to CD's in the car. Same thing? That is what I'd like to do with an IPod if I get one. That is where I would get the most use out of it - while in my car.

Yeah - the Yahoo was $5/month (if paid in one lump payment of $59), and then .79/download.

Maybe it was just the song(s) that my son was trying to download; but he told me that when he tried to burn them (using the Yahoo player provided), it said they didn't have burn rights to that song. Now I myself didn't see the actual message - I'm only going on what my son told me.

I'm going to get ahold of Yahoo support and see if that is right.
    there is no charge from Yahoo to download(other that the monthly subsription). The .79 is if you want to burn the song to a CD. If you are downloading and transferring to a compatible player there is no charge.

BTW there are cheaper MP3 players out there too, ones that sit on mac only formats.

Me?

I have a Rio.

Turn Off Ads?