Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside the Front Office

Inside the Front Office

I didn't get to hear much of it on my way home from work but when I got in my car, Tim Naehring was railing about how guys aren't playing the game "The Right Way" when they get up to the majors and he said that the front office is not happy about it. Tim and DanO feel that the pitching in the low minors is starting to bear fruit. A caller asked them if they were going to stick with the "take 1 strike" and the tandem rotation in the low minors. DanO said the "take 1 strike" thing is misunderstood and it is not always like that. They just want the young hitters to develop patience at the plate and that's one of the ways they do that. They like the tandem system because they believe it helps prevent injuries and if a pitcher can't make it through his required innings without going over the pitch count then that pitcher needs to work on his command. They are high on Miguel Perez and said he picked about 15 guys off 1st this year. They aren't going to rush him and feel his bat will come around. They are also high on Denorfia and like his plate approach and believe he'll get a 2nd and 3rd look at the major league level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Inside the Front Office

Lemme guess...playing the game "the right way" involves bunts and steals?

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Lemme guess...playing the game "the right way" involves bunts and steals?

and SAC flies.

Does "pitching to contact" and "taking 1st pitches" fall under the "Playing The Game The Right Way" compendium?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Does "pitching to contact" and "taking 1st pitches" fall under the "Playing The Game The Right Way" compendium?
    no!

Apparently "playing the game the right way" Reds-style doesn't include "winning".

Does he, or does he not return to the Cincinnati Reds next year? One thing that would be interesting, who would take the fall for the FA blunders? Dean Taylor, Brad Kullman?

The Dan O'brien story.

Well considering that Naehring has been running the minors for several years now, isn't the fact that the youngsters aren't playing "the right way" an indictment of Naehring?

Every year, we get to hear Naehring's BS about how he's going to get tough and make them play the right way from now on
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Well considering that Naehring has been running the minors for several years now, isn't the fact that the youngsters aren't playing "the right way" an indictment of Naehring?

Every year, we get to hear Naehring's BS about how he's going to get tough and make them play the right way from now on
    I didn't hear the beginning of it but from what I gathered he was saying they play the right way until they get in the majors and then they fall into "bad habits". Probably stuff like facial hair and pants down to the shoetops bugs him. He was really up in arms about it too. At first I thought it was some fan calling in complaining but I realized that he talked too well to just be a fan.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

So Naehring gets them all whipped into shape, and then they fall apart as soon as they hit the big leagues ?

Naehring strikes me as the type that will always complain about big leaguers not playing the game the right way. I assume he didn't go into specifics, of course.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Thanks for the update Chip, I stopped listening mostly due to work contraints, but also because 1360 hasn't been streaming very well for me over the last month or so. Add in the fact he might drop some interesting nugget once every few weeks and it wasn't anything worth fighting for.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

More excuses made by incompetent people who don't have any real answers. Teams that do things "the right way" have talented players, which is one reason that they do things "the right way." The trouble is that they don't have any tangible traits for the type of ballplayers that do things "the right way." It's baseball speak made by "baseball men." Enough already, get someone in there with more talent than connections and we might get somewhere.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Even if the approach is right or wrong, dumb or smart, works or doesnt work at least there's a plan in place. It beats not having a plan in place and at least a top five draft pick didnt blow out a shoulder. Do they at least get any credit for that...let me get back in my hole before the whole Redszone world comes down on me.

Even if the approach is right or wrong, dumb or smart, works or doesnt work at least there's a plan in place.
    The Maginot Line was a plan.

That worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Even if the approach is right or wrong, dumb or smart, works or doesnt work at least there's a plan in place. It beats not having a plan in place and at least a top five draft pick didnt blow out a shoulder. Do they at least get any credit for that...let me get back in my hole before the whole Redszone world comes down on me.
    Hey, at least the Dude's got a "PLAN"

Turn Off Ads?