Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Obscure Song

Favorite Obscure Song

I was moping around the office today mourning the loss of political and religious threads while my employers were paying me to work when I came up with what I thought was a good thread idea.

I was watching Silence of the Lambs the other night when the infamous cross dressing scene came on where the serial killer is putting on his makeup etc in front of the mirror and I was thinking that the song playing in the background was really cool. It is called Goodbye Horses by a group called Q Lazaruz by the way. At any rate, I was thinking that had it had a more mainstream musical release it could have been a real hit.

So now I pose the question to you fellow RZers, what are some of your favorite songs that are buried in obscurity? Were they featured in a movie? Were they just the product of lesser known band that didn't get the exposure they should have? I'm looking forward to some of your responses so I can dig up some of these hidden gems.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Obscure Song

"Would you **** me? I'd **** me."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    "Would you **** me? I'd **** me."
    Haha, fantastic line FCB, one of the all time greats.

Probably the greatest cover of all time is totally unheralded: the 13th Floor Elevators's version of Bob Dylan's "Baby Blue." It's better than Dylan's.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

"George" by Appalachian Death Ride
    School's out. What did you expect?

one more love song - pack of fools

newgrass revival

Mama Hated Diesels - Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen

Heard it on the jukebox at the Crystal Pistol in Fairborn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sorry, I have more than one...

"We Can Get Together" by Icehouse [great song and one of the first great videos I would see on MTV]

"The Heartland" by The The

"(Wearing Down) Like A Wheel" by Elliot Easton

"Spellbound" by Siouxsie & The Banshees [another great video]
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran

"Spellbound" by Siouxsie & The Banshees [another great video]
    I remember the "Spellbound" video--"running" through the "woods." Good stuff.

Another great video was "Hungry Wolf" by X--cool fake bats hanging from the fake cave ceiling.

the 13th Floor Elevators's
    You're gonna miss me...

Here's a medley for you

13th floor elevator into chocolate watchband into moby grape into the peanut butter conspricy into the electric prunes.

Far out.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You're gonna miss me...

Here's a medley for you

13th floor elevator into chocolate watchband into moby grape into the peanut butter conspricy into the electric prunes.

Far out.
    LOL, I have no idea what that means but it sounds really groovy. Do I have your permission to just spit out that sentence at the next female I meet at a bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    LOL, I have no idea what that means but it sounds really groovy. Do I have your permission to just spit out that sentence at the next female I meet at a bar?
    Sure... then tell her that Thunderclap Newman was misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Sure... then tell her that Thunderclap Newman was misunderstood.
    Haha, I certainly will. Google time...

Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum Great feel.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

My friend/fraternity brother Dan and I used to host a radio show from 12-2 on WTUL, the Tulane University student radio station. We skipped the meeting handing out timeslots, so we got the worst one; 12-2am was assigned as the "Punk Rock Block," and neither of us knew much about punk beyond the Irish punk that I listen to and the one Sex Pistols CD that he had.

So, we were scouring for something to play and came across a band called "The Dick Nixons" (locally, from Louisiana) and they had a song on their CD called Tricky Dick Was a Rock 'N Rolla" which we played. It was awful, but it became our theme song for the rest of the year.

I never got around to ripping it before I left, so I don't have a copy of the song. It exists only in my mind as a memory of the radio show: "Dan Crystal and the Angry Wookie".
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?