Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Obscure Song

Re: Favorite Obscure Song

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Would you believe these guys are still together?

http://www.96tears.net/band.html

Time has not been kind, however.
    And all about 96 years old?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

It only took one song, the organ-driven number one smash "96 Tears," to make ? & the Mysterians into garage rock legends. Eccentric frontman Question Mark (actually spelled "?," once he had his name legally changed) cultivated an aura of mystery by never appearing in public without a pair of wraparound sunglasses; he frequently claimed he had been born on Mars and lived among the dinosaurs in a past life, and that voices from the future had revealed he would be performing "96 Tears" in the year 10,000. On a more earthly level, the Mysterians' sound helped lay down an important part of the garage rock blueprint, namely the low-budget sci-fi feel of the Farfisa and Vox organs (most assumed that "96 Tears" had featured the former, but ? later remembered using the latter). What was more, they were one of the first Latino rock groups to have a major hit, and ?'s sneering attitude made him one of the prime suspects in the evolution of garage rock into early punk.

"Hey What Can I Do" was an obscure Led Zeppelin song for many years. It was a rare B-side, and it wasn't available until Zep included it in their boxed set. My favorite Zeppelin song.

"Footsteps" by Pearl Jam is another fantastic obscure song. Same music as "Times of Trouble" by Temple of the Dog, but better lyrics and a great vocal performance by Eddie Vedder. "Yellow Ledbetter" is another PJ song that used to be hard to find, but now it's on a lot of boxed sets and live CDs.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

"Footsteps" by Pearl Jam is another fantastic obscure song.
    I lke "Breath" as their obscure song.

Really? I though it was inferior to "State of Love and Trust" on the Singles soundtrack.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Really? I though it was inferior to "State of Love and Trust" on the Singles soundtrack.
    Having seen both done live back in the small venue days Breath stands out bigger to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    "Hey What Can I Do" was an obscure Led Zeppelin song for many years. It was a rare B-side, and it wasn't available until Zep included it in their boxed set. My favorite Zeppelin song.
    Yep. Just heard that one this morning on the radio..."Hey, hey what can I do? I gotta woman who won't be true."

Seems like a lot of Zep songs dealt with relationship problems with the opposite sex.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    "Footsteps" and "Breath" are both good obscure Pearl Jam songs. Two more good Pearl Jam obscure songs are on the "Merkinball" EP they released with Neil Young on guitar. That contains "I Got ID" and "Long Road".

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    "Footsteps" and "Breath" are both good obscure Pearl Jam songs. Two more good Pearl Jam obscure songs are on the "Merkinball" EP they released with Neil Young on guitar. That contains "I Got ID" and "Long Road".
    Good call, I also like "I'm the Ocean" as a Neil rarity

"Billy Two Rivers" or "How Come It Never Rains" or "Satellite Kid" by the Dogs D'Amour (I guess an obscure band is bound to have obscure songs, eh?)

"Dead by Christmas" - Hanoi Rocks
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Haha, fantastic line FCB, one of the all time greats.
    Great line--but, unfortunately, it barely makes the top two or three from that movie alone:

"IT will put the lotion in the basket...or IT will get the hose..."

"Bobby Brown" by Frank Zappa
    "Ava Adore" by Smashing Pumpkins

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    "Ava Adore" by Smashing Pumpkins
    Weeeeee muuuuussst never be apppaaarrrrttt

Outstanding song by the Pumpkins, and I'd add probably "Eye" and "Perfect" on that list, too, but I'm not sure how well known they are. I'm fairly certain the other half dozen or so songs I like are pretty well known, stuff like "Disarm" and "Tonight, Tonight."
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Some others ...

3 Doors Down - "So I Need You"
    8Stops7 - "Question Everything" and "Esteem"
    A Perfect Circle - "Orestes"
    Better Than Ezra - "Misunderstood"
    Counting Crows - "Anna Begins"
    Eddie Money - "Take Me Home Tonight"
    Ennio Morricone - Songs from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    Led Zeppelin - "Achilles Last Stand"
    Lifehouse - "Somewhere In Between"
    Lustra - "Scotty Doesn't Know" --> Matt Damon is the vocalist
    Metallica - "Low Man's Lyric"
    Nickelback - "Breathe"
    Pearl Jam - "Immortality," "Indifference" and "Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town"
    Seven Mary Three - "Lucky"
    Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
    Staind - "Epiphany"
    Stone Temple Pilots - "Creep"
    Temple of the Dog - "Hunger Strike" and "Say Hello to Heaven"
    Toadies - "I Come From the Water"
    Tupac - "Starin' At the World Through My Rearview" (i.e. remix of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight")

Anybody remember the song "Hey Mister" by some group (might have been one dude) called Custom? That song cracks me up everytime I listen to it.

Hey Mister I really like your daughter.
    When I'm horny like thirsty
    She's a bottle of water.

Last edited by Cyclone792; 09-16-2005 at 01:59 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Eddie Money - "Take Me Home Tonight"
    Just like Ronnie said..... seriously though, that is not obscure... I have the butt impression on my couch and hours of watching Mtv to confirm that.

Turn Off Ads?