Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

Re: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Cheers was never good, but Seinfeld is NOT aging well.
    I will agree with you on Cheers. But how is Seinfeld not aging well? I also have all the DVDs released to date and they are as funny as ever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    if it wasn't for Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dryfess, that could have been a good show.
    But with them it is a great show. Most TV critics would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    if it wasn't for Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dryfess, that could have been a good show.
    There wouldn't have been a show left if those two weren't on it.. Who wants to watch a half hour of Jerry monologuing while Kramer spazs out?

IMO, George was the funniest sitcom character ever created.
    Jason Alexander could've (and should've) milked that character for 20 years like Fraser Crane did.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I believe Seinfeld is pretty timeless. The comedy hits just as well today as it did when it first aired. I mean most of the plots really do not have much to do with a current event (for the time) or whatever. Just typical things people have been going though and will continue going through only on Seinfeld it's exaggerated to the 10th degree.

Speaking of Seinfeld...... Curb Your Enthusiasm makes it's comeback this Sunday night. The episode is called "The Larry David Sandwich," you know you want to watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Hmmm... watched quite a few of both recently... Not sure I can choose, but I definitely feel like Cheers lost something it was never quite able to replace when Coach died.

Obviously I've got to go with Seinfeld.

"I'll have the tuna."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Seinfeld.... period.

"You? You'll be out before we get the check!"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm certainly more of a Seinfeld fan, it's my favorite TV show of all time, but in defense of Cheers they did have to go through major character changes that Seinfeld didn't. Jerry, Kramer, George and Elaine stayed together for the entire run. Cheers suffered when forced to change a couple of their original characters just like MASH did with the loss of Trapper, Frank Burns and Henry Blake.
    Last edited by Hollcat; 03-15-2007 at 12:28 AM.

I liked them both about the same, but I'm more likely to stop surfing for a Seinfeld episode now than I am Cheers. Having said that, the early Seinfelds were pretty weak; check them out some time and you will agree. The acting was stiff, the characters hadn't developed yet- it could be downright painful. Cheers was strong right out of the chute.

The writing on Cheers may have been a little better. There was a predictable pattern of behavior from all the actors; the inability to make the correct choice in any situation. It was kind of like Homer Simpson who always has the wrong thing to say. ("A 7 day waiting period to buy a gun?! But, I won't be MAD any more!).

I think Cheers was smoother. The actors were actors, whereas the people on Seinfeld were really comedians, so that everything they did was like a sketch, rather than a scene in a story. They did it well, but the quality of the interactions between the characters was better on Cheers.

Lastly, the thing I like most about Seinfeld are all the characters they created along the way, Bookman, Soup Nazi, the friends of Jerry's parents, his uncle. Those people and the comedians who played them were hilarious. I thought they were a real throwback to an earlier era, which is why I think the show may be more timeless than cheers.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    I'm certainly more of a Seinfeld fan, it's my favorite TV show of all time, but in defense of Cheers they did have to go through major character changes that Seinfeld didn't. Jerry, Kramer, George and Elaine stayed together for the entire run. Cheers suffered when forced to change a couple of their original characters just like MASH did with the loss of Trapper, Frank Burns and Henry Blake.
    They lost a heck of a character when coach (Nicholas Colasanto) passed away. And as much as I loved the show, I couldn't stand Shelley Long. Would have loved to have seen an episode where Carla punches her in the mouth.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Zoinks!

[QUOTE=GAC;1264718] And as much as I loved the show, I couldn't stand Shelley Long. Would have loved to have seen an episode where Carla punches her in the mouth.
    QUOTE]

I'm with you and it wasn't just her character. I pretty much don't like her in anything.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Seinfeld in a landslide, and I really liked Cheers.

GL

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I am a fan of both shows and watched them religiously when they first aired....however i have to give the nod to Seinfeld....classic comedy..and no annoying love triangles....

Seinfeld is my all-time favorite. I liked Cheers too but I actually find it difficult to watch the reruns now. Not so with Seinfeld.

Jerry has said that their motto while making Seinfeld was "No hugging, no learning." I love that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Cheers suffered when forced to change a couple of their original characters just like MASH did with the loss of Trapper, Frank Burns and Henry Blake.

MASH was a great deal more successful after Trapper, Henry and Frank left. It got better reviews and better ratings. Now whether it was funnier or not is another issue.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?