Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any digital camera experts around?

Any digital camera experts around?

I'll just go ahead and start this off by saying I'm about 95% sure I'm screwed.

Now, on with the question/story.

In the drunkness that was St. Patricks Day, the memory card on our digital camera somehow seems to have been erased.

We were not smart and never made CDs or put all the pics on the computer. We have about 200 pics that I had loaded onto the computer but that was over 9 months ago so we've lost about 500-600 pictures.

If someone knows some weird thing I can't think of I'm pretty resigned to think we've lost them forever. I hate that because there were many important pictures on this card. I am kicking myself quite a bit because my wife and I both said many times how we needed to load them to the computer or take them and have them burned on a CD.

Anyways, I'm getting more upset as I type this up.

If anyone has any ideas or would just like to end the very very slight hope I have that something could be done, please just tell me. I will not be angry with you

Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any digital camera experts around?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post

In the drunkness that was St. Patricks Day, the memory card on our digital camera somehow seems to have been erased.

We were not smart and never made CDs or put all the pics on the computer. We have about 200 pics that I had loaded onto the computer but that was over 9 months ago so we've lost about 500-600 pictures.

If someone knows some weird thing I can't think of I'm pretty resigned to think we've lost them forever. I hate that because there were many important pictures on this card. I am kicking myself quite a bit because my wife and I both said many times how we needed to load them to the computer or take them and have them burned on a CD.

If anyone has any ideas or would just like to end the very very slight hope I have that something could be done, please just tell me. I will not be angry with you

Thanks
    Take your card to a camera store and see if they can retrieve the pics for you. If you just erased them then its likely they can retrieve them, if you reformatted them you may be in trouble.

We accidentally reformatted pics we took in Russia. The camera store was not optimistic they would retrieve them but by some miracle they did.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 03-19-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Thanks

Sorry to hear about that man,or should I say im sorry I read this?? b/c I just got a dgital camera and don't know crap about it.So your post is getting me ready for what is going to happen to me lol.

Seriously im sorry to here about your lost pictures!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

When your camera is connected to your computer via usb cable, the camera probably acts as just another drive, correct? You can click on the new drive and view your pics one by one. If you can do this, then I would imagine that you could run a recovery program on the drive and see what turns up. I've accidentally deleted data on a thumb/flash drive before and recovered it, so you might still have a fighting chance.

Look into some of the free (or trial) programs that recover deleted files. I used one that simply scanned whatever folder or drive you told it to for deleted files. It gave you a list of the files and allowed you to recover whichever ones you choose. Good luck!

On most cameras, if the card is in the slot, it takes several very deliberate steps to erase the card...not sure if it could/would have truly been erased in a drunken stupor unless you were really trying or just really unlucky. Take it to a techie and I bet they can retrieve something...
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

You can recover photos from a memory card much in the same way you can recover files "erased" from a hard drive. The files are usually not really "erased", but removed from the directory.

I have a program called "Picture Rescue" which allows me to do just that.
    (and has saved my butt a couple of times).
    However it is not freeware. I would look for something similar in the freeware/shareware sites.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

You shouldn't be in trouble... I've done some work in data recovery... So it can be done.... Just look around for some software....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I've taken everyones advice and checked out some free software but it seems that when my camera contects it does not come up as a "removeable drive" so I think this means I need to go purchase a memory card reader.

I'll probably be going to purchase one of these tomorrow and trying again.

I've taken everyones advice and checked out some free software but it seems that when my camera contects it does not come up as a "removeable drive" so I think this means I need to go purchase a memory card reader.

I'll probably be going to purchase one of these tomorrow and trying again.
    You may want to take it to a camera store like Click! (if those are still around), MotoFoto, etc. They might be able to recover the data for you for free so you wouldn't have to spend money to fix your problem. Also, while you are there they can then burn your photos onto a CD. Prices are pretty reasonable for that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    You may want to take it to a camera store like Click! (if those are still around), MotoFoto, etc. They might be able to recover the data for you for free so you wouldn't have to spend money to fix your problem. Also, while you are there they can then burn your photos onto a CD. Prices are pretty reasonable for that.
    Exactly, I took mine to a camera store and they retrieved the pics for like $80.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Supreme Jar Opener

Is your camera turned on when you have it connected. That was my problem... The husband fixed it for me... I know I know! Seems like a stupid mistake, but it happens. And if my husband tells you anything about that week that I cried because my camera was broken... and all the time it was just a dead battery- don't believe him, he's full of lies... lies I tell ya!

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by zombielady View Post
    Is your camera turned on when you have it connected. That was my problem... The husband fixed it for me... I know I know! Seems like a stupid mistake, but it happens. And if my husband tells you anything about that week that I cried because my camera was broken... and all the time it was just a dead battery- don't believe him, he's full of lies... lies I tell ya!
    No.. I'm a brunette...

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zombielady View Post
    No.. I'm a brunette...
    ...and apparently, a MIND READER!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?