Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    For me:

Seinfeld
    MASH
    Cheers
    Taxi
    Frasier
    All in the Family
    ...and the hilarious and underappreciated NewsRadio (pre-Jon Lovitz).
    I really miss Phil Hartman.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I really miss Phil Hartman.
    Totally. He's one of those rare celebrities for me that, even years after it happened, it's like a jolt to my system when I remember he's not alive. If that makes any sense.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The genius about Seinfeld was the plots they had about the ordinary things we take for granted. Knowing a "high" or "close" talker. Having a "low flow" showerhead. Watching the movie instead of reading the book. Not being able to remember someone's name. How long to go without taking someone's clothes out of the washer/dryer. Not being able to find your car in a parking garage. I think that was a big reason the show was a success. We watched it and said, "That happened to me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The genius about Seinfeld was the plots they had about the ordinary things we take for granted. Knowing a "high" or "close" talker. Having a "low flow" showerhead. Watching the movie instead of reading the book. Not being able to remember someone's name. How long to go without taking someone's clothes out of the washer/dryer. Not being able to find your car in a parking garage. I think that was a big reason the show was a success. We watched it and said, "That happened to me."
    It was a show where we all laughed at the vainness of the characters and how superficial they were in their daily lives. They were each of us in a lot of ways.

"The top button makes or breaks a shirt"
    "I saw a drain! It's all plumbing!"
    "Do women know about shrinkage?"
    " And by the way...they're real, and they're spectacular.
    "What do you think would be the worst thing about being blind? I think it would be not being able to tell if there were bugs in my food."

It was a show about NOTHING.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I liked that aspect about the show, but the characters really annoyed me. I can handle 1 annoying character, but 3 or more was too much. Not saying it was not a really good show in my eyes anyways, but that's what puts it so far below Cheers for my tastes.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It was a show where we all laughed at the vainness of the characters and how superficial they were in their daily lives. They were each of us in a lot of ways.

That's very true. We could relate to them because of that and the situations they were in. Like when they were pitching the sitcom. I think that was a little too meta for a lot of people but it showed how difficult it would be to get a sitcom like Seinfeld made.

What made it different from a show like Cheers - not better or worse, but different - is that it relied more on physical comedy rather than verbal comedy. Cheers had basically two sets: the bar and Sam's office which is really one set. You knew that pretty much every scene was going to be in the bar. Not a lot of variety there so you had to rely on the characters and the dialogue to get laughs. Cheers is just as funny listening to it as it is watching and listening to it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That's very true. We could relate to them because of that and the situations they were in. Like when they were pitching the sitcom. I think that was a little too meta for a lot of people but it showed how difficult it would be to get a sitcom like Seinfeld made.
    GEORGE: I think I can sum up the show for you with one word: NOTHING.

RUSSELL: Nothing?

GEORGE: (Smiling) Nothing.

RUSSELL: (Unimpressed) What does that mean?

GEORGE: (Showing an example) What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: (Confused) How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

JERRY: Well, something happens.

RUSSELL: Well, why am I watching it?

GEORGE: Because it's on TV.

RUSSELL: (Threatening) Not yet.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    M*A*S*H lost its fastball when Dr. Sidney Whathisname started showing up and shrinking everyone's heads.
    I love the episode where they tell Dr. Sydney about their dreams... Very surreal episode... Mash was soo awesome. -off to beg the ol' hubby to buy the DVDs for me...

Quote Originally Posted by zombielady View Post
    Mash was soo awesome. -off to beg the ol' hubby to buy the DVDs for me...

Yeah. Good luck with that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    I liked that aspect about the show, but the characters really annoyed me. I can handle 1 annoying character, but 3 or more was too much. Not saying it was not a really good show in my eyes anyways, but that's what puts it so far below Cheers for my tastes.
    You're saying Cliff, Norm, and Frazier weren't annoying? Hmmm...

Seinfeld is pretty much my favorite sitcom of all time. Mostly because I never watched a bad episode. I'm really glad they quit when they did.

Cheers is very close, but my second favorite would have to be M*A*S*H. So my list would look something like this:

1 - Seinfeld
    2 - M*A*S*H
    3 - Happy Days
    4 - All in the Family
    5 - I Love Lucy
    6 - Cheers
    7 - The Cosby Show
    8 - Gilligan's Island
    9 - The Love Boat
    10 - Mork & Mindy (on Robin Williams alone)

After that it becomes difficult for me to choose...there are sooooo many great sitcoms. My honorable mentions would be The Bob Newhart Show, WKRP in Cincinnati, The Andy Griffith Show, Good Times, Welcome Back Kotter, Taxi, The Brady Bunch, Green Acres, Soap, Mary Tyler Moore, Bewitched, and Sanford & Son.

I love a good sitcom!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Supreme Jar Opener

Welcome back, Kotter! Yeah. I could go for some of that right about now. And Soap. And Benson... And the facts of life... well maybe not the facts of life... Perfect Strangers, though.. Balky Bartokomous...

Turn Off Ads?