Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Lance McAlister

I'm Lance McAlister

Here on an "I believe" Friday....................

I believe all those folks who said it was premature to hand third base over to EE were absolutely correct. Sure we all love EE. How can you have animosity for a young guy who looks to be quiet, mild mannered, hard working etc..etc....and just trying to make it? You can't. However, I BELIEVE there is a group of people who were absolutely correct.

The book on EE is clearly (as some saw early on) that he has bat speed and will make enough contact but he has a big striding big swing which is engineered for hammering balls off of or over left field fences.

The big leagues is not the place for on the job training if it doesn't have to be. As plenty in the know have stated previously it is far easier to coach a guy how to pull inside pitches and add power to game than it is to teach a hitter to use the whole field. Old habits die hard. EE should be in the minors now and stay there until he becomes a hitter who can and will use all fields. This team does not need another Brandon Larson.

Furthermore though he is not BJ Upton in the field, he's far from solid. And you don't get extra points for throwing guys out at first from your knees.

Have a nice day. I believe that is all I have to say for now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm Lance McAlister

He's had a handful of hits to right. Probably a higher percentage than Griffey has had to left.

He's a little raw at the plate, but I feel he'll improve steadily. Nothing more for him to prove at AAA. (Remember, Dunn hit .215 once.)

His defense at third has been occasionally outstanding. He's made some errors, but he's made up for those by making several tremendous plays (plays Randa could not have made). I see an above-average 3rd baseman already.

His home hitting chart doesn't really back up the contention that he's a dead pull hitter:

Chart

But I know you don't trust these charts, particularly when they don't back up your statements.

He'll be fine, he's a rookie for crying out loud, rookies coming up and killing the ball and actually keeping it up are rare.
    Go Gators!

I've been impressed by him personally. I believe he's the Reds best option for 3B next season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I believe that is all I have to say for now.

and yet, despite his obvious struggles so far, EE has out OPS'd Randa since the trade. (although with a pretty poor OPS)

fielding wise Randa has 5 errors and 5 DP's and EE has 9 errors and 9 DP's since the trade.
    Last edited by pedro; 09-16-2005 at 03:04 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    His home hitting chart doesn't really back up the contention that he's a dead pull hitter:

Chart

But I know you don't trust these charts, particularly when they don't back up your statements.
    grrrrrr....I wish web filters allowed my access to hitting charts right now

NJ you really need to spring for the EI package before commenting on these types of discussions. He has a yank/pull swing. This is why he gets steady diet of off speed and breaking pitches on outside corner accompanied by fastballs busting in and fastballs away. Those translate to left side of infield groundouts and some flyouts. You'll see some flyouts/popouts to right side as well. These are a function of a guy who DOESN'T effectively go the other way.

Yes, I recall a hit or two to center and right center and a hit or two to right but these are DEFINITELY the exceptions....

have a nice weekend nj I repeat my offer of this year for next year. I'll go halves with you on Extra Innings package. And as for your excuse that you don't have "time". If you have time to listen than you have time to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    You might want to spell his name right before ordering the letterhead
    that's my George Grande spelling thank you.

although, I think someone finally got on george about it.................

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    That's getting dangerously close to violating the religion or politics rule.

Hi, Marty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

NJ you really need to spring for the EI package before commenting on these types of discussions.
    I have the EI package too, but a hitting chart can show me just as much about a guys' ability to use all fields as my own observations can. EdE tries to pull too much at times, yes, but he does put the ball in play to right, too. He'll be fine in that regard, I think.

grrrrrr....I wish web filters allowed my access to hitting charts right now

NJ you really need to spring for the EI package before commenting on these types of discussions. He has a yank/pull swing. This is why he gets steady diet of off speed and breaking pitches on outside corner accompanied by fastballs busting in and fastballs away. Those translate to left side of infield groundouts and some flyouts. You'll see some flyouts/popouts to right side as well. These are a function of a guy who DOESN'T effectively go the other way.

Yes, I recall a hit or two to center and right center and a hit or two to right but these are DEFINITELY the exceptions....

have a nice weekend nj I repeat my offer of this year for next year. I'll go halves with you on Extra Innings package. And as for your excuse that you don't have "time". If you have time to listen than you have time to watch.
    You used the chart in an Dunn arguement the other day, so I though you now approved of chart use. There are some guys who use charts and watch a lot of games that think EE is ready...I'll trust their judgement.

Sorry my friend, but I have a family and can't watch 162 games, take notes and annoy others by belaboring a losing arguement. I appreciate your offer of a donation, but I don't need the money. I suggest Katrina Relief if you're looking for a charity.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    and yet, despite his obvious struggles so far, EE has out OPS'd Randa since the trade.

fielding wise Randa has 5 errors and 5 DP's and EE has 9 errors and 9 DP's since the trade.
    Please.................EE had 9 errors in 43 games. You think 30+ errors from a third baseman is acceptable?

Plenty of guys have learned to reel in an erratic arm. I wouldn't be surprised if he can do that. And he appears to be pretty good with the glove. So it's not the defense that is the longer run concern necessarily.

A right handed hitter of his type will have to use the whole field however. And he could be doing that in the minors while Reds benefit from a solid veteran third base presence. Otherwise, we'll have another Jason LaRue bat. You can't have Jason LaRue offensive numbers playing third base.

(not to mention, with Randa at third in his second year you really might have been in a position to move Casey if a taker could be found. Without Randa though you can't have an infield full of unproven players......keeps you married to Casey)

Turn Off Ads?