Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm Lance McAlister

Re: I'm Lance McAlister

I think BF has a bias against young talented players.

His theories on Dunn have been totally debunked.

He's not able to call Lopez FLop anymore.

Edwin's an amazing talent, so that makes him the new target.

He seems to like Denorfia alot, which makes me wonder if he wasn't a big Mike Frank fan back in '97.

Btw....BF: What difference does it make if a guy's a pull hitter? Extra bases hold no biases, so why should you?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Anyone who wants to dog on Edwin Encarnacion after 166 Major League ABs just needs to look at another Reds player's stats at age 21 after 177 ABs:

Code:
    Felipe Lopez at age 21 in 2001 (TOR):
    49(G) 177(AB) 21(R) 46(H) 5(2B) 4(3B) 5(HR) 23(RBI) 12(BB) 39(K) 4(SB) 3(CS) .260(AVG) .304(OBP) .418(SLG) .722(OPS)

Edwin Encarnacion at age 22 in 2005:
    54(G) 166(AB) 18(R) 37(H) 13(2B) 0(3B) 6(HR) 19(RBI) 13(BB) 46(K) 2(SB) 0(CS) .223(AVG) .283(OBP) .410(SLG) .693(OPS)
    Maybe it's a TAD bit early to be giving up on Encarnacion or passing judgments?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Anyone who wants to dog on Edwin Encarnacion after 166 Major League ABs just needs to look at another Reds player's stats at age 21 after 177 ABs:

Code:
    Felipe Lopez at age 21 in 2001 (TOR):
    49(G) 177(AB) 21(R) 46(H) 5(2B) 4(3B) 5(HR) 23(RBI) 12(BB) 39(K) 4(SB) 3(CS) .260(AVG) .304(OBP) .418(SLG) .722(OPS)

Edwin Encarnacion at age 22 in 2005:
    54(G) 166(AB) 18(R) 37(H) 13(2B) 0(3B) 6(HR) 19(RBI) 13(BB) 46(K) 2(SB) 0(CS) .223(AVG) .283(OBP) .410(SLG) .693(OPS)
    Maybe it's a TAD bit early to be giving up on Encarnacion or passing judgments?

You're right, but it doesn't preclude people from doing it.

I submit one DunnHater as evidence.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Did I miss something and the Reds are hot in a pennant race so much so that only a foolish team would put a rookie at 3B to learn the position while in the bigs? They are out of it!!

What EdE needs is time playing regularly in the bigs. DanO did very well by signing Randa to start the season and giving EdE a chance to get a little more time in AAA.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

No name calling, WilyMo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My cat's breath smells like catfood.

I thought somebody drove a stake through his heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    No name calling, WilyMo.
    My apologies, Chip.

BF:

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I thought somebody drove a stake through his heart?
    Buffy?

hmmmmm.......The LITTLE THINGS that don't show up in a player's OPS or RC..........

In the span of TWO INNINGS, an errant throw from Reds third baseman pulls starting first baseman off bag and into a collision and subsequent injury. Bottom of same inning, Chris Denorfia comes in and singles on first pitch to RIGHT CENTER then in bottom of inning makes diving catch in left field.

hmmmm.......Denorfia, a player who in just a handful of games has shown solid eye at plate and ability to use opposite field, why is it not surprising to see him also be fundamentally sound in the outfield? Similarly, Reds third baseman who has shown inablity to use the opposite field at the plate (basic fundamentals) has also shown lackings in fundamentals of fielding............

When the Reds stop trying to shortcut/big swing their way to wins and get back to the FUNDAMENTALS and yes, little things....they will again have a chance to contend for a pennant.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    hmmmmm.......The LITTLE THINGS that don't show up in a player's OPS or RC..........

In the span of TWO INNINGS, an errant throw from Reds third baseman pulls starting first baseman off bag and into a collision and subsequent injury. Bottom of same inning, Chris Denorfia comes in and singles on first pitch to RIGHT CENTER then in bottom of inning makes diving catch in left field.

hmmmm.......Denorfia, a player who in just a handful of games has shown solid eye at plate and ability to use opposite field, why is it not surprising to see him also be fundamentally sound in the outfield? Similarly, Reds third baseman who has shown inablity to use the opposite field at the plate (basic fundamentals) has also shown lackings in fundamentals of fielding............

When the Reds stop trying to shortcut/big swing their way to wins and get back to the FUNDAMENTALS and yes, little things....they will again have a chance to contend for a pennant.
    Do the "little things" include fixing arguably the worst pitching staff in baseball?

EE struggles when he moves up a level. But he always makes solid yearly gains, in otherwords, look for a improved player by next spring.

The "little things" include having little to no statistical evidence to back up your anecdotal arguements and making fundamentally bad posts based on conjecture and opinion.

Honestly I hope Denofria turns out to be great. I do. I'd love it if the Reds had a real CF and could move KG to a corner OF position, but I think it's comical to proclaim him the savior after 3 games.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Chris Stynes and Jon Nunnely did the "little things" back in 1997.

That worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Do the "little things" include fixing arguably the worst pitching staff in baseball?
    They made the effort last year - brought in the new faces and spent the money. They just seem to have brought the wrong faces in several cases.

When Reds stop setting new marks in baseball history for strikeouts every year and become better with hitting/fielding fundamentals then yes, pitching will no doubt improve just by association.....................................

We'll start seeing pitchers from other teams come to Cincy and instead of going up in flames, we'll see them pitching closer to what they are capable of doing. Funny how these things are connected in team sports - not as independent of one another as one might think.

Turn Off Ads?