Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm Lance McAlister

Re: I'm Lance McAlister

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    You used the chart in an Dunn arguement the other day, so I though you now approved of chart use. There are some guys who use charts and watch a lot of games that think EE is ready...I'll trust their judgement.

Sorry my friend, but I have a family and can't watch 162 games, take notes and annoy others by belaboring a losing arguement. I appreciate your offer of a donation, but I don't need the money. I suggest Katrina Relief if you're looking for a charity.
    check back tonite Frank Sinatra. I'll check hitting chart tonite and have a response for you. Until then enjoy your .230 hitting can't miss prospect who reds got in a TRADE. No reason he couldn't have been traded along to another team or allowed to remain in minors until he mastered OPPOSITE FIELD hitting.

25 doubles and 25 HRs in the minors yanked to left off minor league breaking pitches and minor league fastballs is one thing. Putting up those same numbers but using the whole field in process is a whole different thing and translates much better to likelihood for major league success. He still had more he could have accomplished at AAA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good lord, knocking on EE when he's got not even quite a 1/2 year under his belt yet. He's young. He knocked the ball around in AAA. He will continue to make the adjustments. He's looked brilliant at times, bad at others. Just like any young player will(Hello Dunn, Kearns, WMP, Claussen, etc..).

The key will be his ability to learn and adjust, just as it is with any ball player.

He has shown the ability to adjust in the minors. He struggled in AA his first go around, but his second? He succeeded. Just because he might be struggling now, does not mean he will in the future. I fail to see the harm in giving him the experience now, and trading Randa for 2 decent arms that we desperately need, when we already knew we were out of the race. This experience can be invaluable for young EE, and next year, he may put up some very nice numbers for a "rookie".
    Last edited by cincyinco; 09-16-2005 at 03:31 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Note the Reds' ERA since Encarnacion arrived. He makes a sick number of plays at the hot corner and allows FeLo to play take two steps to his left in the team's standard defensive positioning (which cuts down on hits up the middle and increases DP opportunities).

He's struggled on the OB side of things, but he's on a 40 double, 20 homer pace in the power department. His .247 secondary average ain't too bad. All he's got to do is hit about .250 to get his OPS up to .750. He's exactly one good week away from that with 16 games to play.

He needs to make a few adjustments. Big deal. This has been a promising start from the kid and you can be sure he'll come back next year ready to shift it up a gear.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    check back tonite Frank Sinatra. I'll check hitting chart tonite and have a response for you. Until then enjoy your .230 hitting can't miss prospect who reds got in a TRADE. No reason he couldn't have been traded along to another team or allowed to remain in minors until he mastered OPPOSITE FIELD hitting.

25 doubles and 25 HRs in the minors yanked to left off minor league breaking pitches and minor league fastballs is one thing. Putting up those same numbers but using the whole field in process is a whole different thing and translates much better to likelihood for major league success. He still had more he could have accomplished at AAA.
    This just confirms to me that if the Reds had your messiah, Jose Guillen, as a rookie, you'd be all over the boards killing him for his dead-pull swing, his bad defense, K's and lack of clutch hitting.

Well...at least you have someone to keep your mind off Dunn.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

There are way too many people injecting facts into this thread. What we need are more subjective opinions.

Please.................EE had 9 errors in 43 games. You think 30+ errors from a third baseman is acceptable?

Plenty of guys have learned to reel in an erratic arm. I wouldn't be surprised if he can do that. And he appears to be pretty good with the glove. So it's not the defense that is the longer run concern necessarily.

A right handed hitter of his type will have to use the whole field however. And he could be doing that in the minors while Reds benefit from a solid veteran third base presence. Otherwise, we'll have another Jason LaRue bat. You can't have Jason LaRue offensive numbers playing third base.

(not to mention, with Randa at third in his second year you really might have been in a position to move Casey if a taker could be found. Without Randa though you can't have an infield full of unproven players......keeps you married to Casey)
    I agree EE's made too many errors, but he'll work that out over time IMO.

As for your comment about how a player can't have Jason Larue offensive numbers and play 3b. Sure you can, how else would Joe Randa have managed to stay in the league for the last 14 years?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The more I think back, the more I see EE's future to be similar to Aramis Ramirez. Ramirez struggled with the bat in the early years, and with the glove. They stuck with him for the most part. Granted, he was traded away a couple years ago when he got expensive, or was about to become expensive, but he's turned into quite the offensive force when playing healthy. I see EE as having a future similar to that. Maybe not as much power as Ramirez, but a similar type player.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Sure you can, how else would Joe Randa have managed to stay in the leagure for the last 14 years?

Joe's last 3 months, over 250 PA's

Penny stock player at this point, the one thing that O'Brien did was inking and selling him.

EdE is a human highlight film at 3B. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing a thirdbaseman as acrobatic and quick as he is. There aren't many players I take a special pleasure in watching on defense, but he is one -- and he's just starting out.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

see westofyou post nj (frank) regarding hitting chart.

EE has 14 hits in GABP. Three (3) are to right field. As I noted, you see those right field flyouts because that is a player not effectively using right field. All those left side infield groundouts is what you get when you have a dead pull hitter.

And of course you'll see his power pretty much exclusively to left field.......

see westofyou post nj (frank) regarding hitting chart.

EE has 14 hits in GABP. Three (3) are to right field. As I noted, you see those right field flyouts because that is a player not effectively using right field. All those left side infield groundouts is what you get when you have a dead pull hitter.

And of course you'll see his power pretty much exclusively to left field.......
    What, do the other 2 to center not count as using the whole field? so thats 5 of 14 hits or more than 1/3 of his hits going the other way. I fail to see your point.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What I also see is a rookie with a few holes in his game, but with a whole lot of upside. Is he a perfect player? By no means, but he's young and he's still improving. How often does someone come up from the minors already completely polished with no room to improve. If we think we're going to leave him at AAA until he's developed into the perfect third baseman, we'd never call him up. The competition at AAA is only so good and sooner or later any player is not going to take his game to the next level until he starts playing against the next level of competition. How much better was he going to get against AAA pitching? We should lay off criticizing him now. If five years from now he hasn't improved any, then maybe there's room to criticize, but for now we should get off his back and just enjoy watching him progress as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    What I also see is a rookie with a few holes in his game, but with a whole lot of upside. Is he a perfect player? By no means, but he's young and he's still improving. How often does someone come up from the minors already completely polished with no room to improve. If we think we're going to leave him at AAA until he's developed into the perfect third baseman, we'd never call him up. The competition at AAA is only so good and sooner or later any player is not going to take his game to the next level until he starts playing against the next level of competition. How much better was he going to get against AAA pitching? We should lay off criticizing him now. If five years from now he hasn't improved any, then maybe there's room to criticize, but for now we should get off his back and just enjoy watching him progress as a player.

Well said ORH. He's not going to be infallable. But was calling him up and pawning of ol' Joe Randa when we did for 2 decent arms the right call? I say yes. Especially given this years trade market. Joe Randa is not the long term answer. EE is. Bottom line.

-Hunter S. Thompson

In 1948 Hank Sauer set the Reds HR record with 35. A RH dead pull hitter Hank came to Spring Training in 1949 and was told by new manager Bucky Walters that he wanted him to learn to hit to RF, it didn't work... eventually Sauer was allowed to take his old approach. A month later Giles traded him and Baumholtz to the Cubs, the reason according to Walters, "I couldn't make an all around hitter out of you."

Code:
    1950-1954
    RIGHT HANDED HITTERS

EXTRA BASE HITS               YEAR     EBH    
    1    Hank Sauer               1952       71   
    3    Hank Sauer               1950       66      
    5    Hank Sauer               1954       60   
    6    Hank Sauer               1951       53   
    16   Hank Sauer               1953       40

HOMERUNS                      YEAR     HR     
    1    Hank Sauer               1954       41   
    2    Hank Sauer               1952       37     
    4    Hank Sauer               1950       32   
    5    Hank Sauer               1951       30     
    T9   Hank Sauer               1953       19
    Hence the Reds got this from RH hitters after Sauer left, then like the cursed franchise they often are they traded Adcock for Rocky Bridges, a man know more for quotes than his game.
    Code:
    RIGHT HANDED HITTERS
    EXTRA BASE HITS               YEAR     EBH    
    1    Jim Greengrass           1954       58   
    2    Jim Greengrass           1953       49   
    3    Wally Post               1954       42   
    4    Joe Adcock               1952       39   
    5    Joe Adcock               1951       30   
    HOMERUNS                      YEAR     HR     
    1    Jim Greengrass           1954       27   
    2    Jim Greengrass           1953       20   
    3    Wally Post               1954       18   
    4    Joe Adcock               1952       13   
    5    Joe Adcock               1951       10
    Moral of the story, not everyone is a mallable player.

Turn Off Ads?