Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals sign Antonio Chatman

Bengals sign Antonio Chatman

They're also reported to still be interested in Brian Griese, Jamie Martin, and DT Lional Dalton

Here's the link:
    http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5145

Chatman had 49 catches for the Packers last year but it looks like the Bengals mainly wanted him for his punt return abilities.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals sign Antonio Chatman

Griese is off the board...just signed a five-year deal with the Bears. Seems nobody is interested in backing up Carson.

Joey Harrington is a bad starting QB, but I don't think he'd be a bad backup. If they can sign him on the cheap he might be a good alternative. When the other alternative is Jamie Martin, I'd rather have Harrington.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think Harrington would be a great backup--maybe even an upgrade over Kitna--mainly because he can get the ball downfield. I'm betting that like Griese, Harrington is looking for a place where he can compete for the starting job.

Here's my biggest question in all this...why are the Bengals spending so much energy trying to find a backup for a guy that they're saying is going to be ready for the opener? They already signed Doug Johnson and they also have Craig Krenzel. That's not good enough? How much do you want to spend on a BACKUP? I'd rather take the $$$ and go get Sam Adams. OR...is Carson's injury worse than they're leading us to believe?

I thought they were saying that they expect him to be back to start the season, but it isn't etched in stone... depending on how effective his rehab is.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Harrington is a very good idea IMO. I have been targeting him since the off-season started since I figured the Lions would try to upgrade.

He would make a solid back-up with the potential to improve with some better players around him. Pretty much anyone would be better than Martin anyways.

I don't think Johnson or Krenzel are suitable back-ups especially considering Palmer's recent injury. I don't really feel comfortable with the 2 guys in any important game situations. We still have more than enough cap room to obtain a back-up QB, Adams, and other stuff too if we really needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I thought they were saying that they expect him to be back to start the season, but it isn't etched in stone... depending on how effective his rehab is.
    We should find out a lot more about how well Carson is doing tomorrow. He is holding a press conference at the stadium tomorrow morning at 11:45.

Lots are saying Harrington will end up in Kansas City... I don't think he'll accept a back-up role w/o the chance to compete for the full-time job.

Looks like the Bengals are also considering DT Grady Jackson:
    Jackson said he will visit the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday and has been talking to the Cincinnati Bengals.
    http://www.packersnews.com/archives/...25271490.shtml

Where's the LaVar Arrington signing?

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Where's the LaVar Arrington signing?

Looks like the Phins are hot for him:

the Dolphins remained fixated on two other names who remain possibilities — quarterback Tommy Maddox and linebacker LaVar Arrington — although neither have reached agreements.

With the Dolphins' interest in Arrington on the rise, they will have to compete with the New York Giants for his services, a source said.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...fins_0322.html

This from the Enquirer this morning:

The Bengals' focus appears to be swinging back to former Rams quarterback Jamie Martin.

Former Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox could be entering the picture. The Bengals have talked with Vann McElroy, Maddox's agent.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...603220355/1066

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    They already signed Doug Johnson and they also have Craig Krenzel. That's not good enough?
    Do you really feel comfortable with the prospect of either of them seeing significant playing time at the start of the season? Not that Jamie Martin is the answer, but they do need a #2, right now they've just got a couple of #3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Do you really feel comfortable with the prospect of either of them seeing significant playing time at the start of the season? Not that Jamie Martin is the answer, but they do need a #2, right now they've just got a couple of #3s.
    My question is mainly: How bad is Palmer's injury REALLY? Guess we'll know more after the PC today.

I was afraid Maddox's name was going to come up with all these other quaterbacks signing with other teams. Everytime Maddox has been in a game the last few years he throws the game away. Martin is not great but I would definetely take him over Maddox.

Turn Off Ads?