Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A Good Attitude From a Benched Athlete?!?

For a Level Playing Field

A Good Attitude From a Benched Athlete?!?

Something that is unheard of in today's sportsworld....

CINCINNATI - One week Kelley Washington's up, the next week he's down.

After getting zero catches at Cleveland, the Bengals wide receiver was deactivated for the first time in his three-year NFL career against Minnesota. His replacement, rookie Chris Henry, caught four passes for 45 yards.

Washington played in every game his first two seasons and finished third on the team in catches (31) and receiving yards (378) in 2004. So sitting and watching, and getting force-fed a stiff dose of humble pie, was painful.

"I've never done that before in my athletic career," Washington said. "I'm a good enough player to be out there and contribute to the team. But when things are going the way they are, I refuse to be a distraction to the team at all. It'll be a good lesson for me in life — that sometimes you've got to swallow your pride."

A big thumb's up to Kelley Washington and his attitude.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A Good Attitude From a Benched Athlete?!?

I watched him play alot when he played for Tennessee and he is a great athlete. I hope he gets more playing time.

Re: A Good Attitude From a Benched Athlete?!?

Another similar situation in Dallas...

Tucker Going the Extra Mile for Rookie

IRVING, TX. - Three things had to happen before rookie offensive tackle Rob Petitti was placed into the Cowboys' starting line up.

No. 1, the Cowboys cut former second-round draft pick Jacob Rogers. No. 2, the Cowboys released veteran Kurt Vollers. And no. 3, Petitti had to beat out Torrin Tucker, last year's starter.

Now just two games into his NFL career, Petitti has performed remarkably well for a rookie who wasn't drafted until the sixth round. So far, he has held his own against two teams -- San Diego and Washington -- both of which boast excellent defenses.

At his press conference Wednesday, head coach Bill Parcells said he was relatively pleased with Petitti's progress thus far, although he was quick to point out that Petitti still has a long way to go. Parcells lauded the rookie's work ethic, attention to detail and work habits, and said that Petitti benefits from the advice he receives from right guard Marco Rivera and … Tucker.

"I'm very proud of the way Torrin Tucker has helped him out in the first couple of games," Parcells said. "(Tucker) has done a really good job helping him."

Petitti said that having Tucker on the sideline, watching him, is almost like having an extra offensive line coach.

"Torrin has helped me a lot, especially in the first game," Petitti said. "I remember I messed something up. I gave up a pressure -- not a sack -- and the coaches were upset. He got to me and really helped me calm down and understand what I'd done wrong. It really does help to come off the field and have him there, to tell me what to do."

Tucker said that his willingness to help the player who took his starting role this year stems solely from his desire to see the Cowboys win.

"We're a team first," Tucker said. "Regardless of who's out there, we're playing to win games. If Rob's out there, and I see something that he can do better, because if he plays better, we have a better chance to win.

Turn Off Ads?