Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Penn, Bettany, Hammill and Carrell top list to play The Joker in next Batman movie

Penn, Bettany, Hammill and Carrell top list to play The Joker in next Batman movie

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds24568.html

Steve Carell apparently intends to battle with Sean Penn over the role of The Joker in the sequel to Batman Begins.

He told Total Film magazine: "I would love to play the role. If it's either Sean Penn or me in line, then I want a showdown to prove which one of us is the better actor.

"We'd just have to oil up and wrestle for it."

Meanwhile, other names tipped to take the role have included Paul Bettany, Mark Hamill and Lachy Hulme.

Carell can currently be seen in The 40-Year-Old Virgin.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Penn, Bettany, Hammill and Carrell top list to play The Joker in next Batman movie

I think Mark Hamil could pull it off.

How about Joe Randa?

Re: Penn, Bettany, Hammill and Carrell top list to play The Joker in next Batman movie

Mark Hamill did the voice of the Joker in the animated series, so he already knows the character. I think he'd be a good choice.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I love Star Wars, and I think Luke....errr...Mark would be great in this.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

actually, i thought Luke was originally slated to play The Joker in the next Batman installment, but i could be halucinating.
    however, IMO, Penn is one of the better actors out there and could do a rather good job.
    Carell? i have been a huge fan of his for quite a while...but i really can't see it. if i am reading the direction the current Batman franchise is taking, Carell would not be the man for this particular roll. This is heading towards a very dark, brooding franchise of epic proportions...and i am sorry, but i cannot see Carell being able to pull this roll off. however, i have been wrong many times before.

Mark Hamill is scary good as the Joker. He's come a long way from his whiney "I want to go to Toschi Station to pick up some power converters" days.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Mark Hamill is far and away the best choice...Penn could never do the voice right to make me believe he's the Joker.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Penn, Bettany, Hammill and Carrell top list to play The Joker in next Batman movi

Mark Hamill would be very interesting as the Joker. I know he can do the voice with amazing ease (and that voice *is* the Joker voice as far as I'm concerned), but there is a big difference between just sounding good, and actually being good on the screen.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I am a huge fan of Carrell but like mentioned, given the direction of the franchise to stay closer to what is actually the true feel of Batman, he would be out of place in that role. Hamill is the right man for the job of The Joker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I think Carell is too understated to play The Joker and Sean Penn brings too much unfunny off-screen baggage to make the role work. First off, I'd say think outside the box and give the role to someone with a different ethnicity, a gift for comedy and real physical presence, like Jackie Chan or Samuel Jackson or Chris Tucker.

Looking back in the box, Will Ferrell would be good, but he's probably too expensive. How about Vince Vaughn?

Oy, Hamill is too *old* for the role these days, he'd be wanted back for sequels. Also, there is a HUGE difference between voicing a character for a cartoon and pulling it off in front of a camera. It will never happen, same goes for Carell. I don't see Penn either.

Last I heard, Paul Bettany is Chris Nolan's leading candidate.

BTW, ya'll realize the Joker isn't just one big punchline right? Comedy isn't the sole requirement to play him perfect. Joker's a psychopath afterall.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    Oy, Hamill is too *old* for the role these days, he'd be wanted back for sequels. Also, there is a HUGE difference between voicing a character for a cartoon and pulling it off in front of a camera. It will never happen, same goes for Carell. I don't see Penn either.

Last I heard, Paul Bettany is Chris Nolan's leading candidate.

BTW, ya'll realize the Joker isn't just one big punchline right? Comedy isn't the sole requirement to play him perfect. Joker's a psychopath afterall.
    I agree on the age thing, if they are going to look for someone that old bring back Jack Nicholson!

I do think Penn could play the role rather well though.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 09-26-2005 at 12:14 AM.

Turn Off Ads?