Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Reds vs. Phillies - 9/24/05 - How Long Will Milton Last?

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: Reds vs. Phillies - 9/24/05 - How Long Will Milton Last?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I was in right field during batting practice whe Tucker was with a couple others doing the football thing like Kitty said. He got in in the stands once and yelled up to the guy that caught it to throw it back to him, which he did. They were all laughing so hard they could hardly stand straight. It was fun to watch.
    Hey! Are you going today? I still have those $5 bear bucks I have to use...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

At first I didn't recognize Tucker [he was wearing a long sleeved workout shirt w/o name/number]. Then when he was interacting w/the crowd... hmm...I said, this guy acts just like....?
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Even gonzo baseball fans don't like watching multiple calls to the pen. So why keep it? Tony LaRussa's ego will survive.
    Yep, but Dusty Bakers ego might not.

I see what your saying and I agree with you, up to the point of placing limitations on the number of pitching changes a manager can make during an inning. That's where I have to draw the line. There are just too many what if's that would dictate multiple pitcher changes. I believe fans would rather sit through another pitching change than watch the reliever give up five runs and blow the lead late in the game. Forcing the manager to stick with an ineffective reliever isn't fair to him, the team, or the fans.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Good night at the ballyard last night. A real MLB game was played. The Reds actually played like they cared and the Phils were playing for their playoff life.

Roy took his almost 15 yr. old daughter and two of her friends to the game last night. We had our good season ticket seats. We got to the ballpark a little late so we hustled around to the Fan Zone to get some Skyline only to find the whole place shut down. So this is a Sat. night game, warm weather, 30+K fans, and they close half the concessions? What’s with that? It was mascot night at the ballyard so there were some interesting characters about. Gapper and the Dayton Dragon were there. There was some guy with fruit and vegetables hanging off him that I called Produce Guy. And some that looked like escapees from Sesame Street. They wandered the stands scaring the bejesus out of kids all night.

The scoreboard stumper was a good one. The Reds have never had a Cy Young winner. However, 5 pitchers that have been on the Reds have won the Cy Young. Who are they?

So we went around, hit the Skyline on the other side of the ballpark, waiting in a long line, blah blah blah.

Got to our seats and the 3 girls started talking which would turn into a game-long conversation. I’m not sure if they actually watched the game, but at least I had some company. I also kept score so that kept me entertained. Some guy butchered up the National Anthem and then I see Milton warming up. A real uh-oh kind of feeling. About every home game I’ve been to this year has been either Milton or Ortiz doing an imitation of a gas can.

But, surprise, surprise, Milton actually pitches well. He gave up some truly sky-scraping fly balls to the warning track (3 fly-outs to left had an exclamation point on my scorecard), but he kept a power-ridden Phils ballclub in the park all night.

Screwy first inning. Brito pitching for Philly and is a little DR guy with heat, Ortiz-like. Dunn walks with 2 outs and Aurilia walks. A balk moves them to 2nd and 3rd. An apparent wild pitch scores a run without a hit. But then the umps huddle and then I hear home plate ump Tim Timmons holler “Austin” and point to first. He then points to Dunn in the dugout and points to 3rd and hollers “back”. As an aside, Timmons called a good strike zone game. Any time I see a Tim McClelland led ump crew I feel like we’ll get a well-called game.

So anyhow, LaRue immediately lines a pitch to LF and Dunn easily scores. I look up and Aurilia is just rounding 3rd looking like he’s running in mud. No wheels on that guy. Kinda like watching Casey run, lots of grimacing and effort, but s l o w. He out by 3 miles at home on a nice throw by Burrell, 7-2 assist LF. 1-zip Reds.

The second inning, Wily Mo pulls a WilyMo. He singles to lead off the inning. After a EE flyout, Milton is up to bunt. Actually, he’s up to bunt after faking a bunt on the first pitch and then swinging away. Misses bunt attempt #2 and #3 and Ks’. After the 3rd strike, Wily Mo is wandering off first looking at butterflies or something. The Phils catcher Pratt looks up, sees Wily Mo in the ozones, and throws to first. To call Pena’s attempt to get back to first half-hearted would be an injustice to half-hearted. He does a stupid little tap dance and gets himself picked off. Roy hollers "at least try, would ya".

In the 3rd, Lopez walks. Dunn then hits a truly majestic shot halfway up the stands out in RF. The funny thing was, he didn’t even swing hard. The guy just has enormous power. Reds lead 3-0.

And then the game settles into a groove from the 3rd to the 7th. Milton actually pitches well. 90-91 mph heat, spots his off-speed stuff well, and keeps the Phils juuuuuust off-center of the ball and in the yard. Like I mentioned before, some big-time fly balls that I tilted my head back about 70 degrees to watch, but in the park the ball stayed. Milton would be good in Petco or Comerica.

In the 7th, it gets interesting again. After 2 were out, Howard (who is a *big* guy) hits one a ton to left center that Freel chases. Evidently the ball hits something and takes a wicked carom towards CF. Wily Mo is doing I-don’t-know-what and by the time the ball is retrieved, Howard is into 3rd easily. It was a good thing Rollins wasn’t the base-runner because it would have been an inside-the-parker for him. Pratt lines a single to right and it’s a 3-1 game. I’m getting a bad feeling about Milton. Ruhle comes out to talk to him and I fully expect Milton to get lifted. No, he’s not. Gulp. A game-tying 2 run HR is on Roy’s mind. Perez pinch hits for Fultz but flied out to Kearns. I felt the Reds dodged a real bullet there.

In the bottom on the 7th, Freel and Lopez walk off Geary after 2 are out. Dunn comes up and the crowd is into it. But Geary wild pitches Freel and Lopez up to 2nd and 3rd. Geary then IBB’s Dunn and the crowd boos. On a full-count, Aurilia lauches one to CF that I thought might carry out. But no, Michaels catches it close to the wall 400+ to CF for the 3rd out. Damn, I had really hoped for a bigger lead, the Phils offense is potent.

In the 8th, I can’t figure if Narron won the game or not. He sure did a Tony LaRussa act. Coffey is in to pitch and give up a lead-off double to Rollins. Narron immediately lifts Coffey and brings in Shackleford. Manuel PH’s for Michael with Victorino. Shack goes to sleep and Rollins steals 3rd standing up. Victorino sac-flies Rollins home and its 3-2 now. Narron then lifts Shack for Belisle. Belisle immediately gives up a single to Burrell on his second pitch. Narron *then* lifts Belisle for Mercker. Utley is up and Roy is nervous. Looking at Utley’s OBP and SLG, Roy thinks “man, this guy is having a great year”. But Utley fouls out to EE to end the inning. I don’t know if Narron put on the stall to slow down a power Phils lineup or what. It took about a ½ hour to get through the half-inning. But it did work. My thought at the time was that Miley would have botched it.

One funny moment that made the inning even longer. The steamboat stacks belched a huge cloud of steam that just hung in CF. The ump held up the game while it sloowwlly moved out back over home plate. They played “Smoke on the Water” on the PA. Ho-ho.

Weathers comes on to pitch the 9th. He gets Bell on a called 3rd strike that Bell *really* didn’t like the call on. He was in Timmon’s face and I thought he bumped him. But Timmons let it go. Howard grounded out and Michael Tucker PH for Pratt. My comment was “Tucker is still playing?”. He grounds out Olmedo to Dunn 4-3 and that’s the ballgame.

In the post-game handshake, Narron has a little chat with Weathers that they both laughed on. Everyone does a white-man’s straight handshake with Narron except for Dunn who gives a wiggly finger whoop-dee-doo with him that Narron just waves at. Weathers has his little boy on the field in a little Reds uniform which was a nice moment.

A good time was had by all. The scoreboard stumper was Don Newcome, Mike Cuellar, Tom Seaver, John Denny, and Frank Viola. I only got Seaver and Newcombe.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Forcing the manager to stick with an ineffective reliever isn't fair to him, the team, or the fans.
    There would be the occasional bloodletting. That said, managers already pick plenty of ineffective relievers as it is. We've all seen the comedy stylings of Chris Booker and Juan Cerros. Sometimes David Weathers will cough up five runs. Those things happen with the current rule set. So you're probably only talking about a handful of instances outside the normal fare over the course of the season.

Also, as much as it can work against you, it can work for you. It's going to seem real fair and more than a little bit interesting when the home team starts to tee off on a reliever and everyone realizes "Hey, we've got this guy's number." The rule giveths as much as it takeths away.

At the very least, and it really is a bare minimum, team's shouldn't be able to make more than one pitching switch per inning (with a caveat in there for replacing a guy who's gotten injured). I still think one per game is the way to go. Technically it would be more fair to let you move your chess pieces wherever you want, whenever you want, but strategy arises out of limitations. In essense you'd be telling the manager, here's your "get out of jail free" card. Play it wisely. IMO, you create dramatic tension when a team's used up its one bail out. Now whoever's on the mound is in a situation where he has to perform. Nice existential challenge in that.

Plus, as Bill James notes, rule changes don't always affect the game the way you think they will. Aluminum bats created more dangerous hitters, not less effective ones. Getting rid of the mid-inning bail out very well could clear out garbage relievers and force teams into a more rational, effective pitching model. Even if that doesn't happen, the beating would be over in just about the time it took for a new reliever to come in, warm up and get out of the inning, except that you'd have had non-stop action instead of gobs of dead space.
    Last edited by M2; 09-26-2005 at 10:23 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?