Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I'm optimistic that the "52" series can shed light on Wayne's transformation. That being said, I wonder if the "kindler, gentler Batman" isn't a way for DC to create separation from the All Star universe (where Batman is an even bigger jerk than the regular iteration).
    I'm debating on whether or not to get into the 52 series. I'm interested, but that's a decent amount of money to be spending on comic books. I may test the waters and see if I like it or not. I wonder how much the series will get into the "Big Three" and their time away. I was under the impression that it would focus largely on Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, and some of the secondary heroes and leave the year-long absence of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to be explained in their own titles.

Oh, on All-Star Batman and Robin: I really want to like that series. At first I thought it might be a prequel to Miller's Dark Knight Returns, and while it may be, it's not any good. I flipped through them the other day and they just seem to sit in the car the whole time. Boring. Maybe that's one where I wait for the trade paperback because right now it isn't worth it. I like the idea that DC creates an answer to Marvel's Ultimate universe, but so far the Batman series isn't good and from what I hear the Superman series isn't great either.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I wish the issue weren't recent enough that we could post "spoiler" info without ruining things for others. IC #7 was just plain excellent. A great closing chapter to to Crisis on Infinite Earths and a super opening to a brand new threat that might pop up at any time. There is a portion of the ending (which is really a prologue) where a major player gets his comeuppance. But we don't actually see the result of that and based on what happened during that meeting between three pretty bad guys, I wonder if we won't see a new version of an old villian (Harvey Dent). Maybe I'm just crazy, but that whole scene was a setup.
    I wondered about the exact same thing when I read the part concerning that little get together of the bad guys at the end, but then I thought about the next panel. Not sure there's anyone that could come back from that blast and I'm guessing the two others involved would finish the job. Looked career-ending to me. Although this is comics we're talking about here. I think a Brainiac-like return for the character in question is possible, where he's found a way to upload part of himself into something or other. That's a shot in the dark from me though.

If Marvel does anything right with Civil War, it's going to be that it keeps the storyline more isolated to the core mini-series. But, alas, it won't. I know this because I've already seen the cross-over and tie-in title list for that event and it's plain uncollectible. I like the fact that Captain America is a MAJOR player in this, but a person on a budget simply can't buy all the issues they'd need to get the whole story. That's unfortunate because it's something Marvel should have learned from DC after Marvel's "House of M" fiasco.
    All I'll be buying is the core series, so I'll just have to piece things together I guess. I'm not enough of a Marvel guy to go out and pick up all kinds of other titles. Maybe Iron Man, but even that's doubtful. With Infinite Crisis all I did was buy the core series, the Secret Files and Origins and the Countdown one-shot and I felt like I was up to speed. That's a total of nine books and I don't think that's too bad. Of course now they've got me hooked on the Batman OYL stuff, so it's likely they'll get some money out of me that way, but that's only two series at a total of $6 a month. I can handle that. Add in the "52" series which I may or may not stick with and that's another $10 or so. Even then, I may just wait on the "52" trade paperback(s) and do it that way.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

scrolled right past your spoiler steel. I'm getting IC7 today.

Again, one thing i think Marvel is REALLY doing right is putting both recent and past issues online. great promotional tool to new and returning fans.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ok, I got IC#7, and 1 year later books. This new kinder gentler Batman does not appeal to me. It reminds me of late 80's Batman. I liked both Titans and Outsiders books. Nightwing seems to have taken up the mantle of paranoid bat character. Robin isn't far behind.

I've also got to Road to Civil War books. Now this looks very good. The FF issue with Doom returning was about the funniest thing I have read from Marvel in years. 17 is too many.

See, this is what happens when i read too many comics at once. That was the lates FF posted on Marvels digital comics site.

good stuff.
    Last edited by TRF; 05-08-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3771
    SCI FI Channel has recruited legendary superhero comic creator Stan Lee and Bruce Nash to embark on a nationwide search for the first-ever, true-life superhero in Who Wants to be a Superhero?

SCI FI Channel, teamed with Bruce Nash's Nash Entertainment ("Meet My Folks," "For Love or Money," "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?") and legendary comic book creator Stan Lee ("Spider-Man," "Hulk," "The Fantastic Four," "X-Men"), will produce a six-episode, one-hour weekly competition reality series that will challenge a lucky few to create their very own superhero and reward the winner with the best reality competition prize yet: immortality! All you'll need is an original idea, a killer costume and some real superhero mojo. The winner of this six-week competition will walk away with their superhero immortalized in a new comic book created by Stan Lee himself!

In nationwide open casting calls, potential heroes will arrive in costume to prove their mettle, revealing the true nature of their superhuman abilities and invoking the noble credos by which they live. From these thousands of hopefuls, Stan Lee will choose 11 lucky finalists to move into a secret lair and compete for the opportunity to become a real-life Superhero!

Finalists will leave their former lives behind and live as their brainchild heroes 24/7, all under Stan Lee's watchful eye. Each week, our aspiring heroes will be challenged with competitions designed to test their true superhero abilities. It's not all just leaping tall buildings in a single bound, a true Superhero will be tested for courage, integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness. In the end, only one aspiring Superhero will have the strength and nobility to open the gates to comic book immortality.
    from another site ...

...a six-episode, one-hour weekly competition reality series that will challenge a lucky few...with competitions designed to test their true superhero abilities. It's not all just leaping tall buildings in a single bound, a true Superhero will be tested for courage, integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness...

...The winner of this six-week competition will walk away with their superhero immortalized in a new comic book created by Stan Lee himself!

My local shop was out of Civil War #1, but I'm picking one up tomorrow i hope. I've read a few of the lead in stories, and my favorite line so far is: "Say Boris and Natasha... You know you want to."

hilarious.

New films from Marvel
    Marvel Studios Engages All-Star Roster For New Film Slate

Jon Favreau To Direct Iron Man

Los Angeles, CA (April 28, 2006) – Aggressively pursuing its strategy to develop and produce a new slate of feature films, Marvel Studios - a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL) - has engaged director/actor/writer Jon Favreau to direct the highly anticipated big screen adaptation of Iron Man. Additionally, the studio has tapped several screenwriters to pen scripts based on some of its marquee Super Hero franchises. The projects to which screenwriters are now attached and have officially begun development include Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Ant Man, Captain America, Nick Fury and Thor. The announcement was made today by Avi Arad, Chairman of Marvel Studios.

* Iron Man (character bio)
    For the legendary Super Hero Iron Man, Jon Favreau will direct the film and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy). Favreau's directing credits include Elf and Zathura: A Space Adventure.

* Incredible Hulk (character bio)
    Zak Penn, who previously collaborated with Marvel on X2, Fantastic Four, and the upcoming X-Men: The Last Stand, will write a new Incredible Hulk film, inspired by the larger-than-life green giant. Under Marvel's arrangement with Universal, Marvel will develop and produce the Incredible Hulk as a major theatrical release, with Universal retaining various distribution rights.

* Ant Man (character bio)
    Writer/director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) will direct, and co-write with writing partner Joe Cornish, the feature film based on cult-favorite Ant Man. Edgar will also co-produce with his Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park.

* Captain America (character bio)
    David Self has been tapped to write Captain America, inspired by Marvel's venerable all-American super soldier. Self's credits include Thirteen Days and Road to Perdition, in addition to numerous rewrites on various studio films. He also worked with Marvel on two other projects: Namor, the Sub-Mariner for Universal, and Deathlok for Paramount.

* Nick Fury (character bio)
    Marvel's Super Hero with military roots, the iconic super spy Nick Fury,
    will be brought to life by action/adventure screenwriter Andrew Marlowe. Marlowe's
    credits include Air Force One, End of Days, and Hollow Man.

* Thor (character bio)
    The legendary Norse Thunder deity, Thor, will hammer his way to the big screen with the help of screenwriter Mark Protosevich. Protosevich wrote one of this summer's highly-anticipated films, Poseidon. His credits also include The Cell.

"We are incredibly excited to be able to attract some of Hollywood's top talent to help Marvel launch the first wave of our independently-produced film slate. These screenwriters and directors are at the top of their game, and each brings a unique passion for the individual characters and projects they will be working on. Our goal is to
    combine great characters with exciting action, and we've assembled a team who will do just that," said Mr. Arad. "In fact, some of these writers have already helped us create major Hollywood blockbuster franchises like Fantastic Four and X-Men. With our independent slate, we look forward to delivering to movie-goers the same type of high-action, gripping entertainment they have grown accustomed to with the Marvel brand."

With screenwriters and directors on board, Marvel is commencing discussions with other talent and visual effects houses as it gears up for full-scale production on the new slate, with the first release anticipated in 2008. These projects are expected to be financed with Marvel's $525 million revolving film financing facility and distributed under Marvel's overall distribution arrangement with Paramount, except for The Incredible Hulk which will be distributed by Universal.

President/COO Michael Helfant will oversee the company's growth to accommodate this newly expanded production activity. The projects will be shepherded and produced by Kevin Feige, President of Production, and Ari Arad, Executive Vice President of Production.

About Marvel Entertainment, Inc.
    With a library of over 5,000 characters, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies. Marvel's operations are focused on utilizing its character franchises in licensing, entertainment, publishing and toys. Areas of emphasis include feature films, DVD/home video, consumer products, video games, action figures and role-playing toys, television and promotions. Rooted in the creative success of over sixty years of comic book publishing, Marvel's strategy is to leverage its character franchises in a growing array of opportunities around the world.

Except for any historical information that they contain, the statements in this news release regarding Marvel's plans are forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, including circumstances that may affect Marvel's ability to commence or complete production of its films, and the risk of poor performance of the films in the marketplace. These and other risks and uncertainties are described in Marvel's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Marvel's Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Current Reports on Form 8-K. Marvel assumes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements.

Marvel, and all related character names and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used with permission. TM & © 2006 Marvel Characters, Inc. All rights reserved. www.marvel.com. Super Hero(es) is a co-owned registered trademark.

Ant Man?

Seriously?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Yeah, that surprised me too. Almost as much as that there is likely a Sub Mariner movie coming out soon.

Imperius Rex!

What I don't get is why Marvel has spread its movies over so many studios. They likely had a bidding war and made themselves a little money, but by having so many different studios make the films they've made it almost impossible to have any crossover movies. No Avengers, no Wolverine/Spider-Man team up stuff, nothing. All of DC's films are done by Warner Bros. obviously, so at least there's a chance we could see Superman/Batman and the Justice League. Not so really with Marvel.
    --M2

If done right a Captain America film could be HUGE. The first film should take place totally during WWII, and it needs to be Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers realistic (or at least PG-13 realistic).

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    If done right a Captain America film could be HUGE. The first film should take place totally during WWII, and it needs to be Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers realistic (or at least PG-13 realistic).
    It should end with him being pulled into a submarine, with 4 Avengers standing around him.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    It should end with him being pulled into a submarine, with 4 Avengers standing around him.
    You should check out the "Ultimate Avengers" movie on DVD. It's a decent show.

There's an especially cool scene at the end when the Avengers fight the Hulk. I loved it when Giant Man tries to step on the Hulk and Hulk jacks him in the side of the knee.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    You should check out the "Ultimate Avengers" movie on DVD. It's a decent show.

There's an especially cool scene at the end when the Avengers fight the Hulk. I loved it when Giant Man tries to step on the Hulk and Hulk jacks him in the side of the knee.
    Saw it, and I was really impressed. The writing was a cross between mainstream Marvel and the Ultimates universe, and I liked the animation a lot.

Does anyone have a review of Civil War? I haven't been able to read a single issue.

Turn Off Ads?