Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    IC 4 rocked! I can't wait for #5. I'm a little disappointed that some of the OYL stories will be out before the series concludes though.

The last issue of IC is actually a OYL story too, so that's why they're doing that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

BTW, if neither of you (Phil) or TRF have picked up "The Walking Dead" first TPB, you must. It's groundbreaking work by Robert Kirkman.

Or you could just throw out $100.00 per copy for first prints of #1 and #2 to see why it's so hot.

Best book on the planet.

Speaking of planets, also check out a sleeper- "Captain Atom: Armageddon". Trust me, it's about a billion times better than I would have thought. Really amazing.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I saw the TPB at Barnes and Noble, but hadn't picked it up yet. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Have either of you looke at the new Marvel website? pretty decent. They really have a good feel on how to promote the stuff. too bad the writing has gone to crap.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

really have a good feel on how to promote the stuff. too bad the writing has gone to crap.

If you mean on their books, I couldn't disagree more.

We're in a Golden Age of writers right now. Now, DC probably has a better corp of writers, Marvel isn't that far off: Bendis, BRUBAKER~! (anyone NOT reading his Captain America series should be forced to, at gun point if neccessary..plus he just got started doing Daredevil AND he'll be jumping on Uncanny in a couple of months), Kirkman, Slott (Dude rocks, loving both She-Hulk and Thing). I'm not as huge of Mark Millar as some, but The Ultimates IS an awesome book (his run on Wolverine on the other hand..blah).

Plus up and comers like Greg Pak, Daniel Way, and others.

Add the DC guys/girl (Johns, Busick, Waid, Morrison, Winnick, and Simone) and it's a great time to be a comic fan.

Ahh, it's all been downhill since Steve Gerber left "Howard the Duck."

I've got no idea what's going on in the comic universe these days, but to the point about a great string of artists (and that X-Men string was amazing), the original Micronauts series was as good as any with Mike Golden, Pat Broderick, Gene Colan and Butch Guice.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Ahh, it's all been downhill since Steve Gerber left "Howard the Duck."

I've got no idea what's going on in the comic universe these days, but to the point about a great string of artists (and that X-Men string was amazing), the original Micronauts series was as good as any with Mike Golden, Pat Broderick, Gene Colan and Butch Guice.

Just FYI, but Kurt Busick and Butch are revamping Aquaman this month.

Does Guice still ink his drawings? It looked great when he did, but from what I recall it took him forever to do it.

the original Micronauts series was as good as any
    Marvel always did a decent job with it's toy and movie tie-ins. Micronauts and Star Wars really stood out. Rom wasn't all that bad, and GI Joe was fair.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor

We're in a Golden Age of writers right now. Now, DC probably has a better corp of writers, Marvel isn't that far off: Bendis, BRUBAKER~! (anyone NOT reading his Captain America series should be forced to, at gun point if neccessary..plus he just got started doing Daredevil AND he'll be jumping on Uncanny in a couple of months), Kirkman, Slott (Dude rocks, loving both She-Hulk and Thing). I'm not as huge of Mark Millar as some, but The Ultimates IS an awesome book (his run on Wolverine on the other hand..blah).

Plus up and comers like Greg Pak, Daniel Way, and others.

Add the DC guys/girl (Johns, Busick, Waid, Morrison, Winnick, and Simone) and it's a great time to be a comic fan.
    Anything with an X in the title has sucked (at least for me) for well over a year. House of M was a disaster of Secret Wars proportions. Spidey got stingers, and is now sporting Iron Man armor. I get that stories get rehashed, but both Cerebro and the Danger Room came to life within 5 years. At least when it was the Danger Room, the story was interesting.

I like the MAX stuff. I like the Ultimate Universe, what i get to read of it, but President Thor? ok... I love New Avengers, and despite the stingers, loved Spider-Man: The Other. Actually looking forward to Anhillation, so long as the obligatory Thanos appearance is kept to a minimum.

I agree with Johhny that Marvel does great with the toy line, but I'll take it further. They seem to do their very best work on books that are quirky or maybe aren't expected to do well. I was a huge Defenders fan, loved the Micronaughts too.

Also they don't seem to cohesive a unit. Is the Punisher a tough SOB? because in one issue of Wolverine it's hinted he's gay. Now considering all the back story of Frank Castle, why do that?

Is the Punisher a tough SOB? because in one issue of Wolverine it's hinted he's gay.
    That was the result of a spat between the Punisher and Wolverine production teams. In "Confederacy of Dunces," Punisher fought and beat Spidey, Wolverine, and Daredevil repeatedly. In turn, the Wolverine team did their best to embarass Punisher.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor

Ultimates is a great book if you like quasi-quarterly publications. Ditto for Ultimate Iron Man.

Ultimate FF is the best book going from the U-universe right now. Kirkman's zombie storyline and the Namor story were both super reads.

Daredevil and Captain America are great as well, even though "Bucky Dead" doesn't have the same resonance anymore. BTW, he pops up in the latest issue of Wolverine and we find out that ol' Bucky and Logan are connected by something Bucky did.

Marvel Zombies= good. But it's a mini series. New Avengers is good. Runaways is a fun book. There are a couple other odd good reads at this point, but Marvel has been the straggler behind DC for quite some time, mainly because it tied so much of it's universe to the House of M fiasco. IMHO, it's tough for even the best writers when they have to deal with bad plotlines that must hit their books.

Oh, and I just picked up a Fine- copy of Uncanny X-Men #2 off eBay for less than 1/4 of what it's worth. YAY ME!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Big Vanisher fan, SD?

I was a huge Defenders fan
    Beware the six-fingered hand.

Is my favorite geriatric superhero, Gargoyle, still around?

dunno. I haven't seen him in a while, but i loved him back in the day.

Giant Sized Defenders were awesome. I miss true Giant Size issues.

On a personal note. I know the paper and ink quality today are so much superior to even the eighties, but I think the reduced circulation and prices around $2.50 - $4.00 per issue is making it tough for new fans to the genre.

Is my favorite geriatric superhero, Gargoyle, still around?
    I LOVED Gargoyle. Even bought his mini-series -- what a steaming pile that was.

Unfortunately, he turned to dust along with most of the other New Defenders in issue #152 and he hasn't been heard from since then.

Turn Off Ads?