Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'm glad someone bumped this up. I've been playing some of the Marvel games on the 360 lately and it has really made me want to get into some of the stuff a little more. I used to collect comics when I was younger, but I stopped after a while.

I was looking at some of the graphic novels, but I'm not sure if I need to start at a certain spot or if each one plays out individually. I was looking at the Civil War series mainly.
    New Avengers. I agree with Raisor on that one. Pretty much everything going on now stems from the re-start of the Avengers. Great combination of writing and artwork.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Thanks for the the recommendations. I found some copies of the volumes on amazon, so I'll make these Christmas presents for myself

Had to bump this one up to share this year's X-Mas present from the wife (she's uber-cool):

That's just a reference pic (my scanner isn't speaking to my computer right now), but it's very close to what my copy looks like. Mine has a bit more spine wear, some surface wear (no major color-breaking creases), no spine roll (lays perfectly flat), no "Marvel chipping", staples are tight, good amount of gloss left, etc. It's a solid VG to VG+ copy with some attributes in the Fine range.

Now, "X-Mas present from the wife" translates to "something I was allowed to purchase". But hey, when there's sticker shock involved for her, I consider it a gift. As for Silver Age Marvel "keys", Avengers #1 is on a lower level than the big boys (FF #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1). But it's a book I've wanted since I was a little kid. The best part is that it was under-graded by at least a full grade; meaning that I got the book at about half price.

I found the book at my favorite small town used book store. They pulled it out of one of about 50 long boxes they were storing in the shop's basement. It had been hidden away for years. I've never had illusions of purchasing a Near-Mint copy for over six grand, so a strong VG to VG+ copy for $283 made me giddy. The funny thing is that the cashier got dyslexic and charged me only $238 for it. I noticed that later on the receipt and, being that I have a very good relationship with the store owner, I stopped back in the next day and offered him the difference. He accepted and gave me a NM copy of Next Men #21 (first Hellboy appearance) as a reward. Double-score!!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2008-There will be a Hulk movie,Iron Man movie, and a new Batman movie

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    2008-There will be a Hulk movie,Iron Man movie, and a new Batman movie
    Heck with those, there's also going to be an animated version of New Frontier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkKnvomyjU

Don't forget Hellboy 2! The teaser trailer looks absolutely fantastic.

--Ted Williams

I guess I gotta visit non-baseball chatter more. I have been on here going on 3 yrs and never realized there were UFC and Comic book threads. Of course I haven't read any comic books for years, although I have been tempted to pick up a copy here and there. But I do watch every comic book related movie that comes out to this day. Loved the newest punisher with Tom Jane that was definitely one of the best adaptations I have ever seen.

I used to collect them when I was a kid, inspired by a guy named Hank when I was around 9-10. He was a neighbor who lived alone but had boxes upon boxes of comics, I mean this guy's whole house was absolutely full of them. He gave me one of if not my 1st comic an Avengers I believe.

But hero's/team's I have liked at one point or another are as follows.

X-Men
    Avengers
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    JLA

Most anything Marvel

But one of my faves that no one seems to ever talk much about is Power Man and Iron Fist mainly because of Iron Fist, not many around like him. I have been trying for quite some time to make my avatar on here a pic I have of them but cannot seem to do it right for whatever reason.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    But one of my faves that no one seems to ever talk much about is Power Man and Iron Fist mainly because of Iron Fist, not many around like him. I have been trying for quite some time to make my avatar on here a pic I have of them but cannot seem to do it right for whatever reason.
    Iron Fist's current series puts the "awe" in AWESOME.

One of the three or four best superhero comics on the market.

It's a solo book, BUT Cage, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight are in almost every issue.

SWEET CHRISTMAS!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Iron Fist's current series puts the "awe" in AWESOME.

One of the three or four best superhero comics on the market.

It's a solo book, BUT Cage, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight are in almost every issue.

SWEET CHRISTMAS!

Ooooh, I had no idea!! How far along is the series, did it just recently come out? And where can I get my hands on them from start to present?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ooooh, I had no idea!! How far along is the series, did it just recently come out? And where can I get my hands on them from start to present?

Issue 11 just came out. The first trade is out both as a hardcover or a trade paperback.

In 2006, Marvel launched a new ongoing series, The Immortal Iron Fist, co-written by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction and featuring art by Spanish illustrator David Aja. "The Immortal Iron Fist" began with a six-part drama, counter-intuitively titled "The Last Iron Fist Story".

You should be able to find it on Amazon.

Edit to add: The only other work I've seen from Aja was a fill in issue of Bru's Daredevil, which was strong. The stuff he does for FIST is AMAZING. He seems to have been born to draw Danny Rand fighting a bajillion Hydra soliders.
    Last edited by Raisor; 12-28-2007 at 06:35 PM.

40 Years of X-Men on DVD-ROM.

That will keep me busy for a while.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Issue 11 just came out. The first trade is out both as a hardcover or a trade paperback.

In 2006, Marvel launched a new ongoing series, The Immortal Iron Fist, co-written by Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction and featuring art by Spanish illustrator David Aja. "The Immortal Iron Fist" began with a six-part drama, counter-intuitively titled "The Last Iron Fist Story".

You should be able to find it on Amazon.

Edit to add: The only other work I've seen from Aja was a fill in issue of Bru's Daredevil, which was strong. The stuff he does for FIST is AMAZING. He seems to have been born to draw Danny Rand fighting a bajillion Hydra soliders.
    Very cool, thanks Raisor. I will definitely be shopping very soon for it.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    40 Years of X-Men on DVD-ROM.

That will keep me busy for a while.
    I would say so, I could watch X-Men stuff forever as well. My personal favorites beyond Wolverine are Colossus and Gambit. What was Colossus' real name Petr ???, Czech perhaps.

The X-Men usually have had some of the cooler nemesis' as well. Sabertooth would be a favorite, the one in the movie did the character no justice. They should have found a much bigger and ripped person to play him.

--Woody Hayes

Anyone just repulsed by Brand New Day? Spidey was really getting interesting, now all of a sudden we are back to web shooters and awkward peter parker again. blech.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Anyone just repulsed by Brand New Day? Spidey was really getting interesting, now all of a sudden we are back to web shooters and awkward peter parker again. blech.
    I think BND has been ok, and I love me some Dan Slott, but it does seem that we've gone back 25 years.

I would have liked to have seen the current writing staff without all the One More Day baggage.

Turn Off Ads?