Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

boy, the hype machine for Spider-man 3 is off the hook then. X-3 looks cool to me too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    boy, the hype machine for Spider-man 3 is off the hook then. X-3 looks cool to me too.
    Yep. And I forgot the Morlocks are in it too.

BTW, I brought in my shiny new X-Men #2 to show off to the owner of the local comic shop (more of a bookstore that sells comics than a true shop), figuring that I'll razz the owner because he's also an X-Men collector.

He looked at it, said "Nice!", then walked behind the counter and grabbed the solid VG X-Men #1 he purchased two days earlier at "dealer" price (half of guide).

I will hate him for at least two weeks.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    X3 is going to rock. Juggernaut. Colossus. Dark Phoenix. Beast. Angel.

C'mon!

The Rush Hour dude is directing. It'll suck.

Jackie Chan is directing? cool.

X-3 looks good, but when you switch directors and throw in too many story elements and way too many villains, you end up with schlock like "Batman and Robin."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Ugh. now that was a baaaaaaad movie.

awful.

Now for a truly underrated comic book movie, I nominate The Hulk. IMO Ang Lee did a fantastic job. A little creative license with the origin, but the hatred of his father, his mother being murdered all close to the true origin.

Plus nothing beats seeing the Hulk kick the crap out of a poodle.

As a closet X-Men fan I think that the trailer looks way too busy. Hopefully the movie won't be. Otherwise you end up trying to connect all the dots. Look at the horrible Matrix sequels much of that was trying to tie up too many loose ends. It became too cerebral, action movies should be about the action not the why.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    nope, it's next year.

Superman is the big one for this year.

X-Men 3 will stink.
    I get the same feeling about X3 as well. I don't want it to be bad, but I don't have high expectations. For some reason they've all got it in their heads that this has to be the last X-Men movie (maybe because Halle Berry doesn't want to do them anymore, which is a terrible reason if that's true) so for that reason they're going to try and cram all this stuff in the movie and will likely kill off some core characters simply for shock value. It's the wrong way to go about doing a movie like this.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

The X-men can go on without Storm. Wolvie on the other hand makes the movie. Hugh Jackman is perfect casting. Anna Paquin is also great as Rogue, and they nailed, absolutely nailed Nightcrawler. I hope they do as well with Beast.

Really looking forward to Ghost Rider. Nick Cage seems a good fit here.

The X-men can go on without Storm. Wolvie on the other hand makes the movie. Hugh Jackman is perfect casting. Anna Paquin is also great as Rogue, and they nailed, absolutely nailed Nightcrawler. I hope they do as well with Beast.
    Believe me, I agree with you about X-Men being able to go on without Storm, it's just that those involved with making the movies seem to think it's critical that they have her around and for that reason they seem bent on this being the last movie.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Really looking forward to Ghost Rider. Nick Cage seems a good fit here.
    Yeah, I think Cage will be very good. And I hate to disagree with you about the Hulk flick, but that movie bored me to tears for about the first hour.

And I agree- Jackman makes an excellent Wolverine. Mind you, I'd still have loved to see how Dougray Scott would have handled the role but Jackman worked out better than I could have possibly anticipated as Scott's replacement.

The guy I'm most looking forward to see in X3 is Daniel Cudmore's Colossus. Same kid who played him in X2. And I can't much think of a better Juggernaut than Vinnie Jones, although I expect to be disappointed by the lack of size vs. the comic book version. Oh well. I think Grammer will be fine in makeup as the Beast. And Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde is also good casting.

Ben Foster (HBO's Six Feet Under)was an...umm...interesting choice to play Warren Worthington though. Seems too short (but then Hugh Jackman IS too tall) and too unimposing to play Warren Worthington . And I'm not completely sure about this, but it appears that (other than Stan Lee), Foster is the first guy to have appeared in a goodly portion of one Marvel flick (The Punisher) to have a big role in another (X3).

Other characters making an appearance (from IMDB):

Callisto
    Jamie Madrox
    Psylocke
    Moira MacTaggart
    Dr. Kavita Rao
    Leech
    Siryn (again)
    Jubilee (again)
    Bolivar Trask

I expect Callisto, Moira, Dr. Rao, and Trask to have more than just bit roles, but no idea as to the length of appearance of the rest.

Personally, I think X3 is going to be great. Yeah, losing Singer sucks. But I expect that this flick, more than the others, is going to be balls-to-the-wall action and I do think Ratner can pull that off.

Oh, btw, if anyone's interested it does appear that the X3 trailer is now available in HD. Cool!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I know this will make you sad Kori, but I lost everyone of my comic books in that fire. I am pretty bummed. I listed them on the insurance declaration, so I am gonna see what they do with it. The adjuster called me last night and said he is trying his best. But no amount of money came replace those memories/collectables IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The guy I'm most looking forward to see in X3 is Daniel Cudmore's Colossus. Same kid who played him in X2. And I can't much think of a better Juggernaut than Vinnie Jones, although I expect to be disappointed by the lack of size vs. the comic book version. Oh well. I think Grammer will be fine in makeup as the Beast. And Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde is also good casting.
    I'm looking forward to an expanded role for Colossus, too. I nearly stood up and cheered in X2 when he stepped into that doorway and armored up. He needs a bit more of a Russian accent, though -- he didn't really have one in his few lines in X2.

The most disappointing thing about the X movies has been their treatment of Cyclops. Few lines and only one good scene in each movie for the first X-man. Instead, he's the brunt of jokes (Backstreet Boys in his CD player? Come on!) or a scowling, jealous boyfriend/husband.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Nah, you are way off base on the Hulk. The problem is the promotion was all Hulk tossing tanks. The story was really what lead to the Hulk. Bana was perfect casting, and Jennifer Connely <drool> was great as Betty.

Even the end was great as Bruce tries to remember something good about his father even as he is destroying him. Really underrated movie IMO. I liked it better than the 1st X-Men movie and the first Spiderman. Both sequels trumped their respective first films.

There has been nothing about Ghost Rider since that very short trailer, which I find curious.

I just bought IC #5, and Rann-Thanagar War #1. So, Kyle is Ion again. And the Guardians seem bent on being the badasses of the universe. I tried to read House of M at B&N, but man was it ever convoluted. How many time will Marvel retcon their universe for 10-12 issues then put everything back? I mean I loved Age of Apokalypse. great concept. But they are into the re-working of reality just a tad too much.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I know this will make you sad Kori, but I lost everyone of my comic books in that fire. I am pretty bummed. I listed them on the insurance declaration, so I am gonna see what they do with it. The adjuster called me last night and said he is trying his best. But no amount of money came replace those memories/collectables IMO.
    After being concerned about the bunch of other things more important to you than the comics, I did wonder about that.

But if your insurance adjustor is able to get you compensated for those, I'd be very happy. Generally stuff like that needs its own insurance. But the best thing is that they (unlike true heirlooms and pictures, scrapbooks, etc.) are replaceable commodities and I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help out. Yes, you lost YOUR books. But in college I had to sell MY X-Men collection. Since then I've replaced them all and a funny thing happened when I did that...

The replacement books became MINE again. Might be different paper, but I found out that it wasn't having the books that made them special in the first place. When I grabbed X-Men 113 off eBay, my thought wasn't about the X-Men 113 I had "lost". It was about the grocery store in northern North Dakota where I first discovered it as a kid. My brain took me back to Winnipeg, Manitoba when it was time to grab a new copy of #137 online and I remembered, with a great deal of joy, about how my mother purchased my first copy of that book and an accompanying #138 for my birthday during our visit to the first real comic book shop I'd ever seen. Back then money was tight and it wasn't a small thing for her to spend a whopping (at the time) $20.00 on two back issues I couldn't find.

That's the beauty of collecting for me. The books are secondary to the journey.

If you choose to look for replacements, you might find that the quest reinvigorates your love of collecting as well. Losing them was bad. But re-acquiring them- especially if you enlist the aid of your children- could be a whole lot of fun all over again. And with every book replaced, your kids get to learn more about their dad.

I know you gave many of those books to your kids. But from my experience, the only thing better than getting something from a parent is getting something WITH a parent.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?