Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Wolverine is indeed "the best at what he does." Unfortunately, what he does most often is get beaten, hacked, slashed, and disembowelled.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

I want to know what is the average age of you people reading these comics.

It may cause me to re-evaluate my opinion of some of you.

Nothing turns today's woman on more then a guy a spadex Spidey suit at a comic book convention.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Nothing turns today's woman on more then a guy a spadex Spidey suit at a comic book convention.
    That's why you hide your comic book collection until *after* the wedding.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    That's why you hide your comic book collection until *after* the wedding.
    LOL!

Well, that's a dice roll strategy at best, bud. I couldn't possibly hide my collection from the wife before we got hitched. In fact, I was eBaying to try to recoup my X-Men collection (sold it all while in college) in the months leading up to the wedding.

Luckily, I married a cool chick who actually digs certain books. She's not a real super hero fan and she tried to avoid reading comics but I turned her to the dark side. It was hysterical the first time we left the comic shop when she had more books in hand than I.

If anyone is looking to get their female companion hooked, get her to read the following titles:

Strangers in Paradise
    Y The Last Man
    Runaways
    Liberty Meadows

If that doesn't work, God help you.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Worst. Thread. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Is Justice a mini-series? Its coming out soon isn't it? It looks pretty cool from the ads I've seen.
    Justice is a mini-series. Good first issue. Basically, the DCU villians see an "apocalypse" coming and also see that the heros won't be able to save the planet so they get together to do something about it.

Alex Ross art. ALEX ROSS ART!! Great stuff but will it ship on time? Good question.

Also, All Star Batman and Robin has had an interesting couple of issues. I'll pick up the first couple issues of All-Star Superman as well (Quitely art) and see if it goes anywhere. Basically, it's DC trying to do their own version of Marvel's "Ultimate" titles.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Ultimate Superman? blech.

that said, I'll likely give it a whirl.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

Also, All Star Batman and Robin has had an interesting couple of issues. I'll pick up the first couple issues of All-Star Superman as well (Quitely art) and see if it goes anywhere. Basically, it's DC trying to do their own version of Marvel's "Ultimate" titles.
    The first issue of ASB&R was pretty awful, haven't seen #2 yet. The Jim Lee art is great as always, but Miller's last few Batman stories have been awful (especially the second Dark Knight mini).

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Ultimate Superman? blech.

that said, I'll likely give it a whirl.
    It's Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly.

It's going to rock.

It'll just take forever for it to come out since it takes Frank about three months per issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on X-Men also. While the most of the X-titles are pretty bad right now, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men book with the AWESOME Cassidy art is the best X-Run since the Clairmont/Paul Smith run of the mid-80's (which was the best run since Byrne).

WOO HOO!

Dan Slott's SHE HULK series is back in a couple of weeks.

Preview is up

http://comics.ign.com/articles/654/654166p1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    It's Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly.

It's going to rock.

It'll just take forever for it to come out since it takes Frank about three months per issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on X-Men also. While the most of the X-titles are pretty bad right now, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men book with the AWESOME Cassidy art is the best X-Run since the Clairmont/Paul Smith run of the mid-80's (which was the best run since Byrne).
    Yeah. Morrison and Quitely just rule. Nasty-good stuff. Quitely can turn out pages on a regular basis (did it on New X-Men), but I think his art suffers. Probably be good to get him off a team book.

I'm hoping that ASB&R isn't going to be DC's version of "Ultimate Wolverine & Generic Sidekick", but sigh...

And yep, Astonishing X-Men is the bomb right now. I didn't like the "Danger Room" episodes as much as the previous arcs, but it looks like we get Ms. Frost back on the bad guy side of things. And that's cool.

But the other X-Men books are nigh-unreadable right now. I couldn't care less about the "House of M" sidebar. Makes no sense whatsoever. And the stupid "Golgotha" storyline was a complete waste of time. I buy 'em because I'm about 40 issues from a full run (yeah, THE full run), but I feel like I've been throwing money away on those books the past few months.

BTW, you mentioning Paul Smith just highlights how lucky we were back in the day. Went from Cockrum to Byrne to Cockrum to Romita Jr. to Smith on Uncanny. That's a heck of a run of artists on any title (even if Cockrum's 2nd run simply didn't live up to his 1st). Even the fill-ins (Brent Anderson, Barry Windsor-Smith, Bill Sienkiewicz) were gold. Heck, not counting the reprints from #67-93, this is the list of just some of the Uncanny artists:

Jack Kirby
    Jim Steranko
    Neal Adams
    Dave Cockrum (x2)
    John Byrne
    George Perez
    John Romita Jr.
    Paul Smith
    Marc Silvestri (x2)
    Whilce Portacio
    Arthur Adams (Annuals)
    Jim Lee
    Joe Madureira
    Chris Bachalo
    Alan Davis

I'm sure I missed someone, but that's just a ridiculous list of talent.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

BTW, you mentioning Paul Smith just highlights how lucky we were back in the day. Went from Cockrum to Byrne to Cockrum to Romita Jr. to Smith on Uncanny. .

You need to flip Smith and JRjr...Smith's run was first.

Smith's run was great (so was JRjr's). Best of the bunch was the Wolverine/Rogue issue in Japan (the lead in to the original Wolive mini-series) His JSA elsewhere story with (I think) James Robbinson was awesome too.

James Robinson's Starman run was a true classic. I dig The Shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    You need to flip Smith and JRjr...Smith's run was first.

Smith's run was great (so was JRjr's). Best of the bunch was the Wolverine/Rogue issue in Japan (the lead in to the original Wolive mini-series) His JSA elsewhere story with (I think) James Robbinson was awesome too.
    <Steel cracks open 1st Uncanny long box...>

Egads! You're right! It's all coming back to me now...JRjr took over on the 2nd half of issue #175 (unless I'm again mistaken). Good catch, kind sir.

Smith was an incredibly underrated talent. He'll be doing the backup story on the upcoming Giant Size X-Men #4 too (like Neal Adam's lead in on #3). Good times.

Anyone else out there trying to put together full runs of original Marvel or DC titles?

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony
    James Robinson's Starman run was a true classic. I dig The Shade.
    Robinson wrote the DC Elseworlds tale "The Golden Age" too, didn't he?

<checks bookcase...yep...he did>

That was a tremendous read. Easily #2 on my Elseworlds list and only topped by Kingdom Come.

Which Starman issues did he write, Scrap? I may have to pick up the TPB if his stuff is anywhere near as good as it was on TGA.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?