Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yeah, it's definitely a suprise last page (I'll not explain just in case folks who want to read it haven't). I read the lead-in minis (OMAC Project, Villians United, Day of Vengeance) except for the Rann-Thangar War (that one just didn't interest me). The last issue of Villians United was also particularly interesting (major surprise was revealed).
    I'll read all of the trades when they come out. The Adam Strange mini (with the AWESOME Pazquel art) led directly into Rann-Thangar, so I'm for sure going to pick it up.

And if you get a chance to pick up Alex Ross' "Justice" mini, it's a great new take on some of the vintage DC villians (Riddler actually looks like a bad man). Fun stuff and, as always, great Alex Ross painted art.
    While I thought both MARVELS and KINGDOM COME were awesome, Ross just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm not sure why either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    While I thought both MARVELS and KINGDOM COME were awesome, Ross just doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm not sure why either.
    Dunno. Maybe he just got too big too fast (or got too big for his own good). Happened to my favorite artist of all time (John Byrne) and I can't stand looking at his new stuff.

I can say that I wasn't impressed by Ross' oversized JLA hero one-shots (which were so solely art-oriented it turned me off). But he's got a real story to work with in "Justice" and his take on the Riddler's costume (and Braniac) is really refreshing.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I've also been reading the spoilers for IC, and read a few of the crossover issues, and it looks pretty good. I didn't get to read much of anything on the OMAC's so I'll be hunting for that.

I did finally read my first House of M issue.

blech. didn't hold my attention at all. Never have I hated a set of characters more than Roma, Saturnyne and the Captain Britain Corps, or whatever they are called.(Exiles crossover, and I really love Exiles... great book. Morph rocks.)

And mark me down as a huge fan of the New Avengers. Huge.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I've also been reading the spoilers for IC, and read a few of the crossover issues, and it looks pretty good. I didn't get to read much of anything on the OMAC's so I'll be hunting for that.

I did finally read my first House of M issue.

blech. didn't hold my attention at all. Never have I hated a set of characters more than Roma, Saturnyne and the Captain Britain Corps, or whatever they are called.(Exiles crossover, and I really love Exiles... great book. Morph rocks.)

And mark me down as a huge fan of the New Avengers. Huge.
    Yep. New Avengers rocks and now we know who Jessica Jones (SpiderWoman) has a behind-the-scenes pact with.

But you ain't kiddin' about House of M. Not only is the main mini series just plain stupid, I also collect both X-Men and Wolverine. The X-Men HoM issues are just plain unreadable. Ridiculously bad. And Wolverine's HoM issues have no tangented off to a four-issue arc that doesn't even have Wolverine IN IT (it's all Mystique talking about Wolvie in flashbacks), which is a complete waste of incredible Mark Texeira inks (he ain't no "tracer", folks).

I've also picked up The Sentry issues 1 and 2 and will be dropping that book. It's nothing but a convoluted effort to legitimize the character into the Marvel universe and continuity.

Of the Ultimate titles, Ultimate Fantastic Four has been outstanding recently- both storyline and art (Greg Land rules). Ultimate Secret #4 just came out and, hopefully the next of the "Ultimate Galactus" minis will ship on time. Hopefully.

DC has itself a sleeper hit with their Power Girl arc in JSA Classified and issue 4 finally clues us into her actual origin. JLA is a solid book.

Other stuff I'm still reading that's been good...

The Walking Dead (best book going right now)
    Y- The Last Man
    The Authority: Revolution
    The New Avengers
    Daredevil

Stuff I've dropped altogether...

Ex Machina (slow is an understatement)
    Young Avengers (the art went to crap and I'm not that tied to the characters)

Older stuff that was new to me recently...

The Books of Magic TPB collection
    Batman: Dark Victory (every issue)
    JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice TPB
    The Golden Age TPB (a real must-read)
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Yep. New Avengers rocks and now we know who Jessica Jones (SpiderWoman) has a behind-the-scenes pact with.

)

Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew (Spider Woman) are two different characters.

Dope.

which is a complete waste of incredible Mark Texeira inks (he ain't no "tracer", folks).

Of the Ultimate titles, Ultimate Fantastic Four has been outstanding recently- both storyline and art (Greg Land rules).

It's funny you had both these quotes in your post, since Land most certainly IS a "tracer".

Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew (Spider Woman) are two different characters.

Dope.

Bah! Serves me right for not paying attention to the character for oh...25 years or so...:

--Ted Williams

It's funny you had both these quotes in your post, since Land most certainly IS a "tracer".
    Couldn't care less. His chicks are hot. That's good enough for me.

Now, Greg HORN is a guy I don't care for at all.

--Ted Williams

STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC
    THE DARK TOWER

Marvel Comics to launch first issue in April 2006
    Premium hard cover collection of the first six issues to be released in Holiday 2006

Spring 2006---Stephen King and Marvel Comics join forces to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will provide old and new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland.

“As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics “come of age” and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction,” says Stephen King. “I’m excited to be a part of Roland’s new incarnation.”

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

“My life changed overnight when I learned I'd be working with Stephen King!” exclaims Jae Lee. “I know how special The Dark Tower series is to him. I'm incredibly honored that he would allow me to be a guest in his world.”
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I got to read the first issue of Infinity Crisis last night.

Really cool stuff. The last page rocked.

guess it's time to take a trip to the comic book shop. I'm actually intrigued by the Stephen King comics, though I generally avoid his books like the plague.

What I really want to know is when is Squirrel Girl going to get her own book?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Decided to drag this thread back up.

It's been a couple of weeks since issue 4 of IC came out. If you haven't been reading it, there was a major league all out fight featuring Superboy-Prime and a gaggle of heroes. Many deaths were involved. If Wally doesn't come out of the Speed Force, mark me down as being a grumpy fanboy.
    Best issue of the series so far.

I've also caught up with a ton of stuff from last year. Finally read the trade for House of M. Great art, but while I normally dig Bendis, the story stunk. I've now read all (I think) of the IC lead ins. The OMAC series was great (the trade included the Countdown issue with the death of Ted, which I thought was really well done). Gail Simeone's Villians United series was GREAT. Who would have thought that long time mort Cat-Man (of all characters) would develop into a really cool character. Actually ALL the lead in series were great.

I'm stuck in Conn for a couple days (Father-in-Law is in the hospital, so I brought the wife up here. I can't stay at the hospital since I have a bad cold and I don't want to risk making him sicker. He's doing much better by the way), so I hung out at the local BN today and did some comic trade reading.

I read the entire Bendis run of Daredevil, in one sitting (aside for The Murdoch Papers, which I don't think is out as a trade yet). I've read the whole thing before, but never in one sitting.

What a great friggin run on a comic. Bendis and Maarav just rule it, and I can't wait for their new Spider-Woman book.

IC 4 rocked! I can't wait for #5. I'm a little disappointed that some of the OYL stories will be out before the series concludes though.

Turn Off Ads?