Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

I'm through Infinite Crisis #5, but my local shop ran out of #6 and I'm waiting on the darn second printing. I really like the series thus far and can't wait to start on the 1-Year-Later storyline (Supes only for me, I can't get started on multiple books).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    I'm through Infinite Crisis #5, but my local shop ran out of #6 and I'm waiting on the darn second printing. I really like the series thus far and can't wait to start on the 1-Year-Later storyline (Supes only for me, I can't get started on multiple books).

The Superman OYL books have both been great so far (both Action and Superman). Writen by Kurk Busick and Geoff Johns with art by Pete Woods. Really good.

I have 2 copies of IC #6, one of each cover. a gift from my beautiful wife. Just a few days away from #7

Has anyone checked out Marvel's digital comics? very slick.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Well I just picked up Infinite Crisis #6.

At times, I really like the writing. And some times, not so much. Loved the SBP/Black Adam fight. But if the Flashes kept SBP trapped under red sunlight for years, how did he escape? years? And wich Flash emerged at the end of IC 5? Why don't we see him in issue 6?

Also, did Ted Kord have the Blue Beetle Scarab? If he did, why are the Lanterns just now getting skittish to it?

Looking forward to the conclusion, but it seems like DC dropped the ball a bit with this one. Maybe Marvel will do better with Civil War.
    Didn't even see that question, TRF. The Scarab appears to have been in the wizard Shazam's possession rather than Kord's. When the Rock of Eternity was destroyed, the Scarab (and a ton of other magical items) was flung far away and found by the new Blue Beetle.

And I'm with Raisor- the Superman OYL storyline is really good so far.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Didn't even see that question, TRF. The Scarab appears to have been in the wizard Shazam's possession rather than Kord's. When the Rock of Eternity was destroyed, the Scarab (and a ton of other magical items) was flung far away and found by the new Blue Beetle.

And I'm with Raisor- the Superman OYL storyline is really good so far.
    I think the Wizard Shazam took the scarab from Kord in Countdown to Crisis, but I was under the impression that Kord had it for some time before that, or at least that's the way it was written.

I haven't been reading the Superman OYL series but I do have the first couple issues of the Batman OYL Face the Face storyline. Apparently Dectective 818 sold out around here so I'm missing Part 3 for the time being, but 1, 2, and 4 have been real solid. A return to a kinder, gentler Batman, or at the very least one who isn't a huge jerk. He's still Batman, to the point and all, but not the paranoid, jackass Batman that had been around for awhile. I like Robinson's writing and the art is good so I'm a little hestitant about the changeover to Dini coming up, but I'm optimistic because I like the way Batman was portrayed in the DC Animated Universe and Dini had significant input with that.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

I read an article today that said today is a big day in the comic book business. DC's big event is ending and Marvel's big event is starting. I haven't gotten any comic books since I was just a little Gainesville Red, but after reading this thread and the article I'm a little curious. I'm done with classes and have a little bit of extra money, maybe I'll make my way to the comic books store a little later.

For those interested, the new Superman Returns trailer is up on http://www.supermanreturns.com. Pretty nice looking, although I wonder if we're looking at something happening similar to the original Batman where the villain sort of overshadowed the hero. Either way, my expectations are higher than they were originally.

Oh, and a little tidbit I read yesterday about who the new Flash will be. Not confirmation or anything, but the article on IGN suggested that the new guy's identity will make sense if you think about the aging of Superboy-Prime. This could be old news to those of you more in the loop than I, or maybe just more observant, but I thought I'd pass it along.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Trailer looks decent. Anyone heard anything about Nick Cage's Ghost Rider flick?

edit: Feb of 2007 is the release date.

here is the teaser
    Last edited by TRF; 05-03-2006 at 03:20 PM.

So I indeed went to the comic book shop today after probably a 15 year absence. It was interesting, and fun. I bought like $20 bucks worth of comic books, and chatted w/ the comic book guy behind the counter. He seemed like a normal guy, who's only fault is being a braves fan. Not at all like the comic book guy from the Simpsons. I bought Marvel's big event, Civil War, and couldn't believe how "grown up" the marvel universe has become. But not in a bad way, it was actually pretty enjoyable, and I may even buy the rest of the series.

Other comics I bought: Blue Beetle #2, Freindly Neighborhood Spiderman #8, Ultimate Spiderman #94, Infinate Crisis #7, and Exiles #80.

Sort of a fun, remember when you were little, type of day.

IC 7 is out? I am so there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    IC 7 is out? I am so there tomorrow.
    It was entertaining, lots of fighting, even though I didn't understand what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    It was entertaining, lots of fighting, even though I didn't understand what was going on.
    Just pick up the trade paperback when it comes out, that'll take care of things. Considered waiting and doing that myself, but I decided it would be nice to add a few issues to my collection.

I thought IC #7 was good, liked it a lot. A portion of the ending might draw the ire of some, but I was ok with it. Once you read it you'll see what I mean.

Picked up Detective #819 as well and I thought I'd dip my toe in to test the Marvel waters and also got Civil War #1. Detective dragged a little after three really good issues (I'm missing part 3 so I can't speak for that one), but overall it wasn't bad. Civil War has me intrigued now so I'll probably end up getting the remaining issues. The only problem is that other than the major Marvel characters I don't know who anyone is, unlike DC where I have a much better idea. Oh well, that's a minor complaint.
    --M2

Just read IC #6 and #7 and I too liked them both. I also picked up the first four parts of the Superman/Action crossover. Those are what I'm really looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    I think the Wizard Shazam took the scarab from Kord in Countdown to Crisis, but I was under the impression that Kord had it for some time before that, or at least that's the way it was written.
    After further research, I think you're right. I've had almost a "Crisis" long gap with the DC universe. Until Identity Crisis, I largely ignored it as the secondary company it was for over a decade. In the late 1980's, Kord apparantly thought the Scarab had been destroyed. I thought it passed into Shazam's hands. But, alas, you're right that the BB "death" storyline indicated that it was taken from Kord by Shazam during his visit. My bad.

I haven't been reading the Superman OYL series but I do have the first couple issues of the Batman OYL Face the Face storyline. Apparently Dectective 818 sold out around here so I'm missing Part 3 for the time being, but 1, 2, and 4 have been real solid. A return to a kinder, gentler Batman, or at the very least one who isn't a huge jerk. He's still Batman, to the point and all, but not the paranoid, jackass Batman that had been around for awhile. I like Robinson's writing and the art is good so I'm a little hestitant about the changeover to Dini coming up, but I'm optimistic because I like the way Batman was portrayed in the DC Animated Universe and Dini had significant input with that.
    I'm optimistic that the "52" series can shed light on Wayne's transformation. That being said, I wonder if the "kindler, gentler Batman" isn't a way for DC to create separation from the All Star universe (where Batman is an even bigger jerk than the regular iteration).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    Just pick up the trade paperback when it comes out, that'll take care of things. Considered waiting and doing that myself, but I decided it would be nice to add a few issues to my collection.
    I wish I could wait for the TPB on any number of books. I like TPB's as substitutes for expensive back issues (I collected Preacher and the first issues of Y The Last Man via TPB), but in many cases I buy a TPB and just have to collect the actual issues. Call me crazy that I want the story in first print.

I thought IC #7 was good, liked it a lot. A portion of the ending might draw the ire of some, but I was ok with it. Once you read it you'll see what I mean.
    I wish the issue weren't recent enough that we could post "spoiler" info without ruining things for others. IC #7 was just plain excellent. A great closing chapter to to Crisis on Infinite Earths and a super opening to a brand new threat that might pop up at any time. There is a portion of the ending (which is really a prologue) where a major player gets his comeuppance. But we don't actually see the result of that and based on what happened during that meeting between three pretty bad guys, I wonder if we won't see a new version of an old villian (Harvey Dent). Maybe I'm just crazy, but that whole scene was a setup.

Picked up Detective #819 as well and I thought I'd dip my toe in to test the Marvel waters and also got Civil War #1. Detective dragged a little after three really good issues (I'm missing part 3 so I can't speak for that one), but overall it wasn't bad. Civil War has me intrigued now so I'll probably end up getting the remaining issues. The only problem is that other than the major Marvel characters I don't know who anyone is, unlike DC where I have a much better idea. Oh well, that's a minor complaint.
    If Marvel does anything right with Civil War, it's going to be that it keeps the storyline more isolated to the core mini-series. But, alas, it won't. I know this because I've already seen the cross-over and tie-in title list for that event and it's plain uncollectible. I like the fact that Captain America is a MAJOR player in this, but a person on a budget simply can't buy all the issues they'd need to get the whole story. That's unfortunate because it's something Marvel should have learned from DC after Marvel's "House of M" fiasco.

<Pseudo-Spoiler Alert....you've been warned>

Speaking of not so well done, DC had a great opportunity to rightly time Captain Atom's return to the DC universe but missed the mark because of the delays on the "Captain Atom- Armageddon" 9-issue mini-series on the Wildstorm brand. That's a real issue considering events in IC #7 and The Battle for Bludhaven #1-2. That ticks me off because Captain Atom is one of the most underrated players in the DCU. BTW, just for folks who are paying attention- how do you think Ion is going to respond the the return of MF after KR as GL left him as a head on an asteriod in deep space as final retribution for killing his gf when he became GL? Youch.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?