Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Does anyone have a review of Civil War? I haven't been able to read a single issue.
    I'm not sure what's out right now, but I know that only the first issue of the main story is out so far. #2 comes out next week I believe. I've heard that the Frontline series is good so I may consider picking that up at some point. Not being a Marvel guy myself I don't plan on getting much deeper into it than those two series.

I have Civil War #1 and I enjoyed it. Well written and the art looked great. The seqence with Captain America and S.H.I.E.L.D was awesome. My favorite Marvel guy is probably Iron Man and this was an issue that set him up for a very important role down the road so I liked that. Since I'm a DC fan much more than Marvel I probably can't appreciate the fact that so many Marvel Characters are involved because I simply don't know who they are. Beyond the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America and the main X-Men I'm not well versed in the characters. Even with my limited knowledge of those characters I liked the first issue a lot. I don't know that I'll like it as much as Infinite Crisis, but that may be my DC bias showing.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

I came away from IC shaking my head and thinking the only point was it had been 20 years since COIE and DC needed a sequel.

awful. just awful. And I really wanted to like it. The ridiculous continuity changes because Superboy hit a wall, his complete turn to evil, his escape from the speed force that was never explained, even though he was held for years coupled with generally a poorly thought out plot made this almost as bad as House of M.

And I really wanted it to be good.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I'm with you on the whole fiasco with Superboy-Prime's punches altering time. That's one of the more ridiculous things they came up with. I liked SBP's turn to evil though. He's made himself into a legitimate threat for the future and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot anyone can do about it. I also liked the dynamic they created between the Big Three. Important to see that they don't always see eye to eye or even get along for that matter. IC gives DC a chance to get away from the rut Superman had been in for a few years as well as move Batman further from the jackass persona they'd created for him. Both are welcome changes I think.

I would imagine that they'll be an explaination of the SBP Speed Force escape at some point, whether it comes in the Flash series or in 52. Too big of a plot hole to not explain.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Oh, they sold SBP's conversion to evil very well, especially since he doesn't see himself as evil. It was a little quick though. Alex Luthor's was too, though he wasn't emotionally mature anyway. no life experience, just accellerated aging.

But, Bart aged while SBP did not. Pantha's death was also ridiculous. Her head would have exploded, not bounced off like that.

And here is another issue. What happens to Hypertime? is it gone? If there was a record of these events in the future, why didn't the speedsters come back sooner to help out? Isn't Wonder Woman still wanted for murder? I know some of these questions will be resolved, and that is what 52 is for, but COIE wrapped up a lot better. Even though DC largely ignored what they tried to do.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Sounds like DC is basing their plots off of Marvel's Exiles. Bad Hyperion, altered time, different realities, etc.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

One Man Army

Kinda sucks that I knew about the big reveal in Civil War #2 beforehand. That still was an awesome moment, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    I'm with you on the whole fiasco with Superboy-Prime's punches altering time. That's one of the more ridiculous things they came up with. I liked SBP's turn to evil though. He's made himself into a legitimate threat for the future and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot anyone can do about it. I also liked the dynamic they created between the Big Three. Important to see that they don't always see eye to eye or even get along for that matter. IC gives DC a chance to get away from the rut Superman had been in for a few years as well as move Batman further from the jackass persona they'd created for him. Both are welcome changes I think.

I would imagine that they'll be an explaination of the SBP Speed Force escape at some point, whether it comes in the Flash series or in 52. Too big of a plot hole to not explain.
    Don't know why, but this post just reminded me of an old book I have in my collection.. A batman vs. Superman issue - circa 1950's.. I'd have to go pull it out for specifics..

Wow.. comics.. I dont know why I got out of them, other than the fact I just didn't have the cash to drop anymore... Anyone have any suggestions on new stuff on what to get into if I want to get back in?

I used to be an image guy, some marvel, some DC.. lot of independent stuff too..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Don't know why, but this post just reminded me of an old book I have in my collection.. A batman vs. Superman issue - circa 1950's.. I'd have to go pull it out for specifics..

Wow.. comics.. I dont know why I got out of them, other than the fact I just didn't have the cash to drop anymore... Anyone have any suggestions on new stuff on what to get into if I want to get back in?

I used to be an image guy, some marvel, some DC.. lot of independent stuff too..
    Steel recommends Y: The Last Man. I'm trying to corner the market on CrossGen trades. I loved the whole concept. And the art was fantastic.
    Suck it up cupcake.

As TRF noted, Y-The Last Man is superb. It's not a superhero book and rumor has it that it'll end with issue #60 (it's on 46 now). But great stuff.

Other titles that rock right now:

Ultimate Fantastic Four
    The Walking Dead (Zombies rule!)
    Superman/Batman
    Planetary
    Daredevil
    All-Star Superman
    Wolverine
    Wolverine: Origins
    New Avengers
    Runaways

You can't afford the back issues of The Walking Dead, but the Trade Paperbacks are super-affordable. Planetary is a heck of a read. Might be the best written book out there...when it comes out...which tends to be about once every three months (sigh). But it's worth picking up the TPB's. Seems to be release issues with All-Star Superman as well, but it's an interesting new take on him. Ultimate FF has vaulted above the rest of the Ultimate line although Ultimates (think Avengers) is great when it hits the shelves (release issues again). And get thee to the comic shop and pick up Wolverine: Origins. Super stuff.

Oh, and if you used to like the Image universe, pick up the back issues or the upcoming TPB of Captain Atom: Armageddon. It's basically a jumping off point for the re-start of the Wildstorm universe (Authority, Wildcats, etc.). Great stuff.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Thanks TRF and Steele... Its been years since I bought a book, and a few more since I went through my collection. Rarely open the things anymore, they're collecting dust and monetary value(hopefully) :P

Who are the hot artists these days?

Is Jeff Scott Campbell still around(Gen 13)? He used to go to my highschool...

Oh, and how much are the back issues of the walking dead?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks TRF and Steele... Its been years since I bought a book, and a few more since I went through my collection. Rarely open the things anymore, they're collecting dust and monetary value(hopefully) :P

Is Jeff Scott Campbell still around(Gen 13)? He used to go to my highschool...

Oh, and how much are the back issues of the walking dead?
    Issues #1 and #2 will run about $75.00-$80.00 each. The whole run (1-29) is about $250.00. If you're looking to buy, I will warn you that there are multiple printings of each. The first printing is what you want and if you're looking on eBay, ask specifically whether or not the book is the first printing.

And yeah, Campbell is still around. Michael Turner is back doing his own thing. Jim Lee is still putting pencil to paper. John Cassiday is the bomb. Frank Quitely is the atom bomb. Adam Hughes rocks, but he's all about covers.

But this is an age of writers. Just off the top of my head (and folks will add more):

Garth Ennis
    Robert Kirkman
    Brian K. Vaughn
    Brian Michael Bendis
    Joss Whedon (Buffy and Firefly)
    Judd Winick (yep, he's that "Real World" guy)
    Brian Azzarello
    Mark Waid
    Mark Millar
    Geoff Johns
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-21-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

One Man Army

Steel listed a few of them, but I honestly think this is one of the best periods for artists comics has seen in quite some time. Off the top of my head, these guys are among the best...

Steve McNiven
    Adi Granov
    Alex Ross
    Pasqual Ferry
    Simone Bianchi
    Ryan Sook
    Frazer Irving
    Cameron Stewart
    Doug Mahnke
    Bryan Hitch
    John Romita, Jr.
    Tom Raney

One of the better artistic works over the past two years has been Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers series, which was seven different minis (each four parts) written by Morrison with pencils/inks/art from some of the people listed above. Some of them were quite stunning!

Awesome, thanks guys! Can you fill me in on what JS Campbell is working on? And I would always be sure to ask which printing a book was Steele, but thanks for the tip Garth Ennis was great when I used to read, and I love Josh Whedon's firefly. I'll have to make a trip down to the local mile high comic shop this weekend.

-Hunter S. Thompson

I saw that eternals is supposed to be coming out/out already. Have any of you picked it up yet? Gaiman's been pretty good in the past and I'm thinking about getting that series.

I have to promote Marvel's digital comics. An outstanding promotional tool to attract both new and returning readers. They put an entire comic online. No PDF's all Flash. Loads pretty fast if you have a broadband connection, and best of all, it's free.

Years ago when they first started this they had Origin completely online. I had read it with their clunky proprietary reader, and that was enough to get me to start buying comics again. Once a gain the House of Ideas trumps DC.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?