Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I saw that eternals is supposed to be coming out/out already. Have any of you picked it up yet? Gaiman's been pretty good in the past and I'm thinking about getting that series.
    There is an Eternals sketchbook online at marvel.com
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I saw that eternals is supposed to be coming out/out already. Have any of you picked it up yet? Gaiman's been pretty good in the past and I'm thinking about getting that series.
    It was nifty, although felt more like a setup issue than anything else. The art was good and the story was interesting, so I'll definitely be returning for the next issue.

Bringing this back because of the Heroes thread.

I need something like $300 to get all the Civil War tie-ins. This has been a fantastic series that has trumped Infinite Crisis in every way imaginable. Once IC ended, what really changed? Some new heroes, a few new villains and the same old same old.

CW will change the Marvel Universe forever, unless they pull out a crappy "no more mutants" ending. House of M should have been so much better than it was. And some of it was really good. The Hulk was great in House of M.

Has anyone read Annihilation? I hear it's really good.

I'm reading a few books, but the one I'm enjoying most is the new 'Justice League of America'. It's currently on book #3. After IC, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have been forming the new group. Good stuff, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I'm reading a few books, but the one I'm enjoying most is the new 'Justice League of America'. It's currently on book #3. After IC, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman have been forming the new group. Good stuff, IMO.
    Yeah, Justice League of America is looking good and it appears that Starro is back in some form.

The mini-series, 'Justice' is also very good. 'Secret Six' is a fun book and, as TRF mentioned, 'Civil War' is a knockout hit. The wife loves 'Mouse Guard' as well. Sword-weilding mice with little capes.

And is anyone else reading Daredevil? Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting snooze-like tired of how slow that book moves. Used to be very interesting but now it's like "eh" when I pull it from my weekly pile of books to read.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

curse me for having expensive teenagers!

Haven't purchased in quite a while. So most of what i am seeing is at the newsstand or online synopsis.

Marvel has added a messageboard, which is actually pretty good. Better than DC's. Their online comics just got an upgrade, and IMO is a GREAT marketing technique. Free comics from ALL eras. appeals to everyone that ever read comics, and introduces the next generation of readers that already uses computers to what we have seen. Marvel has really taken this to the next level with a Flash interface. CrossGen did this a few years ago as PDF files, but they charged a monthly subscription, a whole dollar. too rich for my blood.

I plan to hit the comic book shop at the end of the month a blow about $50-$60 bucks. well, that's the plan anyway.

expensive teenagers. I have to make 2 trips to Lubbock, today to see my son play his final football game of the season, he's a freshman, and tomorrow to see my daughter cheer (possibly) her last game. She's a senior. If they lose, then it's the last game. If they win it's playoffs, and we see about making a trip to Dallas in a week.

My kid cheering in Texas Stadium. How freaking cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If they win it's playoffs, and we see about making a trip to Dallas in a week.

My kid cheering in Texas Stadium. How freaking cool is that?

Hopefully the whole family can make it.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'm finally reading The Watchmen for the first time. Almost finished.

It's completely engrossing and I can't put it down. Anyone want to discuss?

Did anyone else catch the Spiderman 3 Trailer? It was just on TV during South Park they claimed it was the world premiere. I thought it looked ok, but the Venom suit didn't look very good, imo. It looked a little to much like CGI.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceking View Post
    I'm finally reading The Watchmen for the first time. Almost finished.

It's completely engrossing and I can't put it down. Anyone want to discuss?
    Watchmen is the birth of what I consider to be the "Creator's Age" of comics. Alan Moore crafted a doozy of a story and the art was a secondary element. It's the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award and it made Time Magazine's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels since 1923. It was the only graphic novel on the list. I consider the collected version the second-best graphic novel of all time behind Art Spiegelman's 'Maus: A Survivor's Tale' (which won a well-deserved Pulitzer).

Alan Moore (who also crafted 'V for Vendetta') is probably the most influential comic book writer of the modern age. IMHO, Image wouldn't have been possible without Moore's inspiration as he showcased what could happen when an excellent writer produced a universe with substance. Moore also created 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' and 'Top 10' (one of the most underrated series of all time). Moore's 'Miracleman' issues are highly sought after and issues #14 and #15 can run up to $100.00 each (or more, depending on condition).

It's not very often that a comic book writer will end up with three major motion pictures based on his works. In fact, I don't think it's ever happened with the exception of Stan Lee. But Moore, with 'From Hell', 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', and 'V for Vendetta' holds that distinction.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Hopefully the whole family can make it.

I'm actually the dog in that picture.

Bringing this one back because there seems to be some pretty interesting stuff happening in the comic world.

Civil War just finished up (sort of) and though I really enjoyed it even though I'm not a Marvel guy, it left me feeling like this series wasn't as good as it could have been. The first three issues were really good, and I would have agreed to that point that it was better than Infinite Crisis. Then came issues four and five, which were sort of ho-hum. #6 was good and I was encouraged that the final chapter would cement Civil War as great event. However, after reading #7, which I thought was the worst issue of the whole bunch, I think I liked IC better and that Civil War didn't reach its full potential.

The ending for me is what did it. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but to me the final battle seemed anticlimatic and the way in which it ultimately ended was terrible. It may be that the aftermath of Civil War ends up being much better than the actual event. Let's just say that Civil War didn't get me to the point where I'm now interested enough in any Marvel character to pick up a regular series or two. Infinite Crisis on the other hand, did.

DC has some pretty good stuff going on right now. JLA isn't out in Feb. but it'll be back next month and then starts a crossover with the new JSA. Justice Society is a series I hadn't planned on picking up, but the first three issues have been great and I'd recommend them to anyone. To me, it's right there with the new JLA as far as being DC's best book.

52 is winding down and I'm really glad I've stuck with it to this point. I'm not completely enthused with some of the stuff, but the Black Adam and Booster Gold storylines are worth it. Looking forward to the WWIII stuff and the start of the weekly Countdown series by Paul Dini. His stuff on Detective has been really good so I have high hopes for Countdown.

Some other stuff I'm reading:

The Brave and the Bold just kicked off this week and the first issue was pretty good. Looking forward to following this series now. Might have a spot on my permanent read list.

Detective Comics had been good ever since IC ended with Robinson and now Dini. Can't say the same for Batman because of the arc with Ostrander and Mandrake. What a waste of four issues. Morrison is back now so it'll get better.

Started getting Action Comics when Johns and Richard Donner started their run. Good start but the two month layoff may have hurt the momentum a bit. Got the annual and it had some good stuff. Worth a look if you're a Superman fan.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

The single most surprising thing in comics history was Spidey unmasking.

It was bigger than Superman's "Death".

It was bigger than the entirety of the Civil War.

It was bigger than Infinite Crisis.

You can't stuff the genie back in the bottle. Peter is a fugitive, and everyone knows he is Spiderman.

I am sooo looking forward to World War Hulk.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Somewhere, an alarm is going off:

Nerd alert....nerd alert....nerd alert....

Bumping this up...

The Buffy "Season 8" series has been great. I'm getting it for a friend (and huge Buffy fan/but non-comic fan) for Christmas. Angel season 6 #1 just came out, but I haven't seen it yet.

Other comic stuff...

Not sure how we didn't bump this up with the death of Captain America. Book still rocks, which considering Cap isn't even in it anymore, is pretty awesome.

Bru/Lark's DAREDEVIL continues to bring the awesome as well.

Over in DC, about the only thing that is great is the Sinestro War storyline in the Lantern books. Nearly everything else is blah, though Waid back on Flash (and the return of WALLY~!) is getting better.

Turn Off Ads?