Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Re: Comic Book Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Nah, you are way off base on the Hulk. The problem is the promotion was all Hulk tossing tanks. The story was really what lead to the Hulk. Bana was perfect casting, and Jennifer Connely <drool> was great as Betty.

Even the end was great as Bruce tries to remember something good about his father even as he is destroying him. Really underrated movie IMO. I liked it better than the 1st X-Men movie and the first Spiderman. Both sequels trumped their respective first films.
    Hey, you liked it more than I. Ok. I purchased the DVD too because it's good background noise fun when I'm online and there's nothing else on TV. I bought Daredevil for the same reason.

But, to me, that whole Hulk origin was so convoluted I could hardly stand it. The fact that the gang tried to "humanize" the Hulk's face (teddy bear Hulk) was beyond annoying to me. Throw in the idea that Banner's father is the Absorbing Man, and it just plain lost me.

There has been nothing about Ghost Rider since that very short trailer, which I find curious.
    That flick is going to live and breathe off how well Cage plays the part and special effects.

I just bought IC #5, and Rann-Thanagar War #1. So, Kyle is Ion again. And the Guardians seem bent on being the badasses of the universe. I tried to read House of M at B&N, but man was it ever convoluted. How many time will Marvel retcon their universe for 10-12 issues then put everything back? I mean I loved Age of Apokalypse. great concept. But they are into the re-working of reality just a tad too much.
    That's Marvel's schtick. Dunno why they keep doing it. Quesada was exactly the right guy to take over a few years back and the Marvel Knights line was genius. But he's gone all nutso lately. Time for a change.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

I didn't think of Absorbing Man, though that is pretty dead on. I thought more of Zaxx (sp?) and a few of the guys the Leader pulled together. And you are right that I liked it more than you. I thought "Teddy Hulk" was a good idea. Reminded me of all the scenes in the comics where you see the hulk in the woods with a deer. He's calm until he isn't.

Speaking of Marvel for a sec. I wasn't thrilled with the whole Doom gets sent to Hell, then to another dimension stuff. Or the FF going to Heaven to "rescue" Ben.

I think it's time I looked at a few independents. Marvel has my interest piqued with the upcoming "Civil War", but I am wondering if it will be enough.

As to what you were telling GAC about replacing his comics, it kinda took me back to the first comic i remember reading. 1976 (i think) What if Daredevil weren't blind? My first comic was a What if?.. And I was hooked.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

As a general rule, I've enjoyed DC books much more then Marvel the last couple years, BUT Ed Brubaker's Captain America series is easily the best (super hero) book on the market today. Joss Whedon/John Cassidy's Astonishing X-Men book rocks too. The Danger-Room arc wasn't great, a)Whedon could make the yellow pages interesting b) the "fastball special" in the first arc makes the whole series instantly awesome.

TRF,
    You mentioned "President Thor" the other day (and rolled your eyes), but I just read the issue of UFF, and it was actually pretty good (and it was Mark Millar on a Ultimate book, which is what he does best). Kinda teaches the lesson of "if you're going to muck around with a time machine, you're going to wind up with an psycho ex-male nurse with a big hammer as your President."

So, don't be messing with time machines.

That'll learn ya.

Speaking of Marvel for a sec. I wasn't thrilled with the whole Doom gets sent to Hell, then to another dimension stuff. Or the FF going to Heaven to "rescue" Ben.
    Haven't read FF regularly for about 15 years (quit shortly after Byrne's amazing run on the book). Nothing FF since then really piqued my interest enough to return to the title.

I think it's time I looked at a few independents. Marvel has my interest piqued with the upcoming "Civil War", but I am wondering if it will be enough.
    Trade Paperback collections you MUST pick up:

1. The Walking Dead (Robert Kirkman)
    2. Planetary (Warren Ellis/John Cassiday)
    3. The Authority <first run> (Ellis/Millar/Bryan Hitch/Frank Quitely)
    4. Preacher (Garth Ennis)
    5. Y The Last Man (Brian K. Vaughan)

Of those four, the best actual superhero book is Planetary. The Walking Dead is just the best current ongoing story. Preacher is NOT for the faint of heart. You know it's wrong while you're reading it but you MUST continue reading it. Nearly ditto for The Authority. Y the Last Man is the best global concept for a book since Watchmen and even chicks dig it.

One shots or single-volume collections:

1. Watchmen (Alan Moore)
    2. The Golden Age (James Robinson)
    3. The Books of Magic (Neil Gaiman) <mini series>
    4. We3 (Grant Morrison/Quitely)
    5. JLA- Earth 2 (Grant Morrison/Quitely)
    6. The Pro (Garth Ennis/Amanda Conner)

Watchmen is the best read possibly ever. The Golden Age is a true masterpiece by the most underrated writer out there (Robinson). The Books of Magic mini series was just amazing stuff and introduced us to Tim Hunter (Earth's version of Dr. Strange). We3 is AMAZING and had me up at night thinking about it. Both We3 and JLA- Earth 2 are examples of Morrison and Quitely at their best. The Pro? So wrong. Yet so hilariously right. Hookers need super powers too.

You cannot go wrong with any of those titles. I own them all in one form or another.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I actually liked V for Vendetta quite well too as far as on-shot/single volumes go. Will be interesting to see the movie treatment.

I was pretty disappointed in both the Hulk and FF movies. My perception of these comics was molded from growing up reading them in the early 60's, so I think they really "Hollywood-ized" them both too much. Took too much liberty IMO.

I thought the computer generated graphics were very good with the Hulk character; but the Thing reminded me too much of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I hated what they did with the Dr Doom character. But I though the Johnny Storm character, and the relationship/tension between the Torch and the Thing was right on.

I just think the plots/storylines for both of these movies could have been better written.

I just hope they do a better job with the new Superman. I never cared for the Christopher Reeves portrayal at all. Too hokey for me.

I thought Keaton did a good job with Batman. But they should have stopped there. The sequels, except for the second one with the Penguin, were downright stupid.

Batman Begins has really grown on me though. Good flick IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Haven't read FF regularly for about 15 years (quit shortly after Byrne's amazing run on the book). Nothing FF since then really piqued my interest enough to return to the title.

Dude, you really need to pick up Mark Waid and RINGO's run on the book (they're all in trades). Great stuff all around.

I had completely blanked FF from my mind. Though Johnny Storm was pretty dead on, and Reed was ok, the rest of it just blew.

I just saw the new trailer for X-3. Looks to have plenty of action.

Joss Whedon is continuing the Firefly series in a new comic called Serenity. Picks up where the movie left off. Whedon has not been announced as the writer yet, but he has given his blessing. He's also doing A Buffy comic as well.

I had completely blanked FF from my mind. Though Johnny Storm was pretty dead on, and Reed was ok, the rest of it just blew.

I just saw the new trailer for X-3. Looks to have plenty of action.

Joss Whedon is continuing the Firefly series in a new comic called Serenity. Picks up where the movie left off. Whedon has not been announced as the writer yet, but he has given his blessing. He's also doing A Buffy comic as well.

I've read a couple interviews with Whedon where he's said he'll be writing at least the first arcs of both Buffy and Serenity/Firefly.

OK Steel, My wife just found this while cleaning out our closet. 1972 The Amazing Sipderman. A Rockomic! Album cover is worn, with a small notch near the top left. The album itself is in very good condition. no visible scratches. Has the original sleeve. Worth anything?

OK Steel, My wife just found this while cleaning out our closet. 1972 The Amazing Sipderman. A Rockomic! Album cover is worn, with a small notch near the top left. The album itself is in very good condition. no visible scratches. Has the original sleeve. Worth anything?
    About 10-15 bucks.

The only Spidey record set worth real money is a set produced in 1966 that came with a reprint of ASM #1. Those in nice shape with both the record and comic can go for $300.00 or more.

--Ted Williams

Kinda what I thought. I might just keep it, as it is just hokey enough to be cool.

Well I just picked up Infinite Crisis #6.

At times, I really like the writing. And some times, not so much. Loved the SBP/Black Adam fight. But if the Flashes kept SBP trapped under red sunlight for years, how did he escape? years? And wich Flash emerged at the end of IC 5? Why don't we see him in issue 6?

Also, did Ted Kord have the Blue Beetle Scarab? If he did, why are the Lanterns just now getting skittish to it?

Looking forward to the conclusion, but it seems like DC dropped the ball a bit with this one. Maybe Marvel will do better with Civil War.

Hey guys, I am thinking about jumping back into the comic book thing (was recently informed that I need a hobby besides annoying the girlfirend ). Back when I was into it before I collected G.I Joe, Conan, Captain America, etc.

My question is this, where is a good place to buy protective sleeves and thing like that in the greater Cincinnati/northern Kentucky area? I know there is a Comic Book World out on Turfway Road in Florence but is there some other newer or better place I can go? Also is there a reliable online place I can go to order supplies like this?
    Last edited by Jaycint; 04-30-2006 at 07:20 PM.

I don't know the Cincy scene at all, but bookery fantasy in Fairborn (Dayton area) is pretty good.

Turn Off Ads?