Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dunst Confirms 'Spidey 3' Villain Identities

Re: Dunst Confirms 'Spidey 3' Villain Identities

the House of M wasn't too good was it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    the House of M wasn't too good was it?
    No. Frankly it sucked. Marvel spent more time marketing variant cover editions of that mini-series than they did on story development. In fact, that may have been the single-most irrelevant story I've ever read, excepting Wanda's "No more mutants" spell (which could have easily been done in regular continuity in a single panel of New Avengers or X-Men). Quesada and Co. knew they needed a hit to counter DC's big "Crisis" lineup and they layed a huge egg.

"Daredevil: Father" stinks. Quesada used to be good at something but I'm not sure he remembers what that was anymore. Kevin Smith finally got back around to finishing the Black Cat/Spidey mini series that no one has cared about for a year. "Secret War" was a huge crapfest even if every issue would have been released on time. They're finally starting to get back to some decent continuity on the X-Men titles, but they're moving sloooooww. I'm nearly beyond caring about "X-Men: The End" mega series because it's become so twisted. "The Sentry" series is just an exercise in trying to make that character "fit" who doesn't, and they handed it to the wrong artist (John Romita Jr.).

I have some hope for "X-Men: Deadly Genesis", but the first two issues of that mini series is just plodding along. Astonishing X-Men hasn't been released in what seems like two months.

The best stuff there is being done in the Ulimate universe, but U-Iron Man might as well be considered a quarterly release at this point. Kirkman and Land did a FANTASTIC job on Ultimate FF recently- inspiring the "Marvel Zombies" spinoff (hilarious). I don't know where New Avengers is going and, apparantly, neither does Marvel even if it is a blast to see Frank Cho drawing a mainstream book. Daredevil (with a hon mention to Runaways) is probably the best book Marvel has going in it's regular universe and that speaks volumes as to how completely screwed up they are right now. I've got some interest in the Wolverine title now that he's got his memory back, but how it plays out is going to be the litmus test.

In contrast, everything DC is touching has seemingly turned to gold. Identity Crisis and it's tie-in mini series rocked. Infinite Crisis is a complete blast (can't put issue #4 down). Y-The Last man is one of the top five books going right now and it has nothing to do with super heroes. The first two issues of All-Star Superman has been great and All-Star Batman is a gritty update of the Dark Knight. The re-launch of Jonah Hex is a worthy read. Even their WildStorm imprint stuff is good (Captain Atom is underrated).

And there isn't an ongoing series released by Marvel that's as good as Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" (Image). Sigh.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

way disagree with you on Spidey. "The Other" is exactly the kind of life the books needed. Spiderman was getting bread wrapper left open for a week kind of stale. Adding him to the Avengers was a good start. Having half a dozen heroes know his identity is another good start. Seeing him interact with Steve Rogers out of costume, with Peter obviously uncomfortable around him and Tony Stark (awestruck) is just great. Being jealous of Logan, the whole conversation between Luke and Peter trying to figure out who Echo is. New Avengers can be a really good book.

Plus I like the idea of making peter question his own origin. The thought that his powers are mystical in origin instead of science based makes for turning his world upside down kind of fun to watch. It's like he has to learn everything all over again, and instead of Reed Richards, he needs Dr. Strange. It opens a whole new world of villains for him, and quite frankly, I'm sick of the same old bad guys.

And yes, House of M sucked, but that's ok... DeciMation is worse.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Hopefully, the return of Apocalypse will breathe some life back into the X-titles. Sunfire is now a Horseman, and so is another major X-man (it's supposed to be a secret, but there were hints a couple of months ago).

Lately, the X-books have been wrapped up in soap-opera garbage (Rogue/Gambit/Mystique and Lorna/Bobby/Alex), so hopefully they'll turn a corner this year and get back to the super-powered violence.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Hopefully, the return of Apocalypse will breathe some life back into the X-titles. Sunfire is now a Horseman, and so is another major X-man (it's supposed to be a secret, but there were hints a couple of months ago).

Lately, the X-books have been wrapped up in soap-opera garbage (Rogue/Gambit/Mystique and Lorna/Bobby/Alex), so hopefully they'll turn a corner this year and get back to the super-powered violence.
    They have super powers in those books? Hard to tell being that they've gone all "Days of Our Lives" on us (you're spot-on).

And if there's one member of that group I'm just flat out sick of the writers screwing over, it's Bobby Drake. First it looked like he lost his powers in the whole mutant purge. But no! He didn't really lose them. He was just too insecure for them to manifest so Emma had to "tweak" his brain to get them back. Rubbish. Bobby Drake is an original member of that team. I am beyond tired of the whole "Bobby Drake is insecure" schtick.

If there's anything at all that's made me chuckle about the X-titles, it's that they've had the largest lawn gnomes in history planted right on their front yard. Astonishing has been the only real plus among those titles.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Astonishing has been the only real plus among those titles.
    Absolutely right. Kitty/Piotr is one soap-opera that is actually interesting.

I also really like Whedon's depiction of Cyclops. I loved it when he cleared that Sentinel off his lawn a few issues ago.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    way disagree with you on Spidey. "The Other" is exactly the kind of life the books needed. Spiderman was getting bread wrapper left open for a week kind of stale. Adding him to the Avengers was a good start. Having half a dozen heroes know his identity is another good start. Seeing him interact with Steve Rogers out of costume, with Peter obviously uncomfortable around him and Tony Stark (awestruck) is just great. Being jealous of Logan, the whole conversation between Luke and Peter trying to figure out who Echo is. New Avengers can be a really good book.
    Oh, I agree with you about New Avengers. The writing in that book has been excellent from the start. And I like the integration of Petey, but not so much Wolverine. Logan is stretched so thin that I've begun to consider Wolverine to be multiple characters.

It's just that now we're moving into the realm of "Secret War" cleanup in that book. It appears that Spider-Woman is a double...no...triple (or quadruple) agent for...no...against (?) Hydra. Ugh.

Plus I like the idea of making peter question his own origin. The thought that his powers are mystical in origin instead of science based makes for turning his world upside down kind of fun to watch. It's like he has to learn everything all over again, and instead of Reed Richards, he needs Dr. Strange. It opens a whole new world of villains for him, and quite frankly, I'm sick of the same old bad guys.
    Maybe I'll get a better take on it when I read the TPB. I dunno. But stingers? STINGERS?!!??? After the 90's, Marvel should have made a rule- No more characters are to be created who have claws/stingers/blades of any kind and no current characters are to add claws/stingers/blades of any kind. Even X-23 annoys me.

It's not so much the messing with Peter Parker's head that bugs me (that's typical Spidey stuff). And I don't mind playing around with the idea that he may have been destined to get his powers even without radioactive spider intervention- even though the purist in me says "Leave the origin alone".

Like I said, I'm glad you're enjoying it and maybe I'll gain a better appreciation for the story when I do more than take a three-minute read at the local comic shop. But the stingers have to go.

And yes, House of M sucked, but that's ok... DeciMation is worse.
    DeciMation following up House of M is like washing down a poop sandwich with a urine cocktail.

And speaking of bad ideas, I've yet to find anyone who'll actually admit to reading the current "Nick Fury's Howling Commandos".

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Absolutely right. Kitty/Piotr is one soap-opera that is actually interesting.

I also really like Whedon's depiction of Cyclops. I loved it when he cleared that Sentinel off his lawn a few issues ago.
    Cassiday rules. Dunno if you've read "Planetary" yet. If not, purchase the TPB's immediately. It's his best work.

And Whedon is the bomb. Truly gifted writer. IMHO, he's the most capable of creating actual interesting interpersonal character relationships of any writer in the business. Takes a character and makes it his without actually making him/her appear to be...well, out of character. That's the only way I can describe it.

BTW, If anyone reading likes Whedon's work and hasn't seen either the "Firefly" TV series or the "Serenity" movie, I suggest picking them up. Brilliant stuff.

--Ted Williams

Serenity abso-freaking-lutely rocked. best sci-fi shoot'em movie ever.. it actually had depth. fantastic film.

I hadn't heard about the stingers... that's different and more than likely temporary. stingers?

I like May's interaction with Jarvis. I like how Tony has taken a father figure role with Peter. I am not looking forward to the Iron Spidey costume..

really... stingers? hmph. dunno about that.

Agree on Bobby Drake. guy has been labeled insecure for a decade now. But for a little while they had him dead on. Cocky. Brash. a cold spidey with a slightly duller wit.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Serenity was off the charts awesome.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Serenity was off the charts awesome.
    I agree. It was great. And I hate sci-fi.

Serenity was just a great experience for me. The dialogue simply rocked. Because of that and the action it has tremendous replay value for me. I've probably watched it about 10 times.

The BEST part is that I figured out it was a movie sequel to "Firefly" (a show I'd barely heard of), so I was like "YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE?!??". Went online and purchased the Firefly collection immediately and watched those episodes twice. Brilliant stuff.

Even got my local comic book dealer to sell me the Serenity comics at cover price today because I loaned him the series to watch before he watches the Serenity movie he got as a gift. Good stuff!

--Ted Williams

Is there not an Iron Man movie in the works?

Collin Ferrell would make a great Tony Stark.
    So would Bana...... but yes i know they have already played parts in other movies.

His story is good...can deal with Vietnam and alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    Is there not an Iron Man movie in the works?

Collin Ferrell would make a great Tony Stark.
    So would Bana...... but yes i know they have already played parts in other movies.

His story is good...can deal with Vietnam and alcoholism.
    Yes, there is - but no casting has been done yet.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    The BEST part is that I figured out it was a movie sequel to "Firefly" (a show I'd barely heard of), so I was like "YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE?!??". Went online and purchased the Firefly collection immediately and watched those episodes twice. Brilliant stuff.
    Joss Whedon is the Man. Buffy and Angel were two of my favorite shows ever. He can do no wrong in my book, or if he can, well, he has a lot of leeway.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?