Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

Re: Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

Not a very big story IMO. The word should've been edited out, but it is no big deal. The word is at most a vulgarism, nothing more. I wouldn't use the word in making a closing argument to a jury, and I wouldn't want my kids using the word (at least in my presence ), but it appears to be an editing mistake, nothing more.
    Words such as the one in question only become a big deal because people make them such. Moviegoers wouldn't have laughed when Butch and Sundance yelled the word when they jumped off the cliff had the word not been "forbidden."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It's funny.

I can't believe you guys are gettin' all apalled over it.
    Who is getting all worked up and appalled about this on here? Show me please?

The only thing a couple people have said is that the comment should have been caught by the editor of the article.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Yeah, censorship, that's a good thing.

People should say whatever they want. If they're publicly vilified for it, fine, but everyone has heard all the "BAD WORDS" by the time they're in the third-grade.
    Some censorship is a good thing.

And if my kid uses them they get their mouths wash outed with soap (so to speak).

While everyone acknowledges the existence of profanity, we don't use profanity around our children (generally speaking).

This isn't Deadwood.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That is true.

Disallowing the really bad expletives in certain situations is fine by me...

It just seems that the label "Offensive" is bandied about quite too liberally for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Who is getting all worked up and appalled about this on here? Show me please?

The only thing a couple people have said is that the comment should have been caught by the editor of the article.
    Thank you. I just found it interesting that the word made it to print in a small-town newspaper, and posted it as a curiosity-type thread. I made no moral judgements on anyone or anything, just that it was unusual.

Here, I'll insert one of these just to prove that I'm not suicidal over it...

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?