Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think pink

Think pink

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...56/1001/NEWS08

U of I's pink locker room assailed at forum
    Some defend the decor at Iowa's Kinnick Stadium, but others say it is sexist and homophobic.

By MADELAINE JEROUSEK
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER

September 28, 2005

Iowa City, Ia. - Kinnick Stadium's pink visitors' locker room contributes to an atmosphere that is sexist and homophobic, some University of Iowa students and faculty members told a committee studying the university's athletics program Tuesday.

"I'm not asking you take out the urinals. I'm not asking you to paint the walls," said Erin Buzuvis, a law professor whose comments on the issue recently drew a firestorm of controversy and death threats. "I'm asking you to write this up as a genuine gender-equity concern."

More than 60 people attended Tuesday's public forum, which was part of an NCAA recertification process that Division I schools are required to complete.

"I was a college athlete," said Terry Northrup, a U of I law student who played women's lacrosse at Wells College in New York. "I love the color pink, and I find it offensive."

The majority of speakers came out in response to comments made last week by Buzuvis, who drew many Hawkeye fans' ire when she said painting the opposing teams' locker room pink was sexist and homophobic.

Just one speaker at the forum defended the locker room.

"Pink is being pigeonholed," said Ben Bessman of Iowa City, a university employee. "The pink locker room is part of Iowa football history."

Buzuvis and others argued that because pink is associated with girls and effeminate men, the university intended to make a statement that the opposing team is weak, belittling women and gays, and perpetuating a social stereotype.

"These kinds of stereotypes will make it harder for my daughters — who already play hockey — to play in college because there aren't going to be as many teams if we think women are docile," said Jill Gaulding, a law professor who wore a pink sweater.

The locker room's color scheme was devised in the 1970s by longtime Hawkeye coach Hayden Fry. During recent stadium renovations, designers opted to retain the color, painting even the urinals pink.

Since making the statements, Buzuvis said she's received death threats and was berated on fan Web sites, her blog and via e-mail.

Hawkeye fans argued that the professor was overreacting. The pink locker room is an Iowa athletic institution, some fans said.

"I don't see any reason to change it," said Josh Madison, a U of I junior from Marshalltown studying economics and pre-law.

By retaining the pink locker room, "they're just honoring a tradition started a long time ago," he said.

But Monique DiCarlo, director of the U of I's Women's Resource and Action Center, said the issue has been discussed by members of women's organizations on campus for many years.

DiCarlo said the topic is worthy of debate and should be part of a larger discussion about the status of women in society.

"This is a curious situation that certainly requires more dialogue," she said.

"At the same time, with the same kind of passion and commitment we bring to this issue, I would hope we can call upon the community to take on issues like affordable housing, domestic violence, sexual assault, the living wage and encouraging women to run for office."

The U of I committee studying athletics, which includes university administrators, athletics officials and students, has been meeting since last fall as part of the recertification process. Equity in sports is among the topics the committee is reviewing.

Patricia Cain, U of I provost who chairs the committee, said the committee hadn't heard the concerns before last week.

"This is the first it's come up," Cain said. "The committee has not had a chance to address it."

A final report is due to the NCAA on Oct. 15.

Brian Solverson, a senior communications major from Darien, Ill., said the locker room color scheme is all in good fun.

"I haven't heard of any teams complaining about it," he said. "If they were complaining about it, I could see the concern, but they're not."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Think pink

WAH WAH WAH: Keep it pink and tell that bag to pick another cause celebre

More proof that some people have way too much time on their hands.

I think the pink locker room is a brilliant psychological move. It would get into the mind of the opposing team and maybe lower their confidence. But never mind that, forget about trying to win in athletics, we need to treat everybody fairly and impartial.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Like the article says, this locker room has been pink since the 70s. I understand Bo Schembechler used to have the walls covered in butcher paper to cover it up. When you make a big deal about it, the color scheme does what it's supposed to do. It gets the other team thinking about stuff like that instead of the game plan. It's like when people are saying, "Don't think about the elephant in the room."
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I understand Bo Schembechler used to have the walls covered in butcher paper to cover it up.
    Yep, a Michigan man always knows when psychology is being used on him.

Pink is manly.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Pink is manly.
    For this guy, maybe.

I was wrong
    Chip is right

I personally think it's funny.

So what happens if they paint it white, black, red, yellow, or brown?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Then you would make Caucasians, African-Americans, Chinese and Indian people upset and they would have to protest, Roy. Cause we all know people don't know how to sit down and shut the (use your imagination) up.

Too many people are too PC these days. Bunch of damn pansies. If you don't like it, guess what, there are planes that leave this country too. Get on one. don't come back.

We're supposed to be a country of freedoms. Guess what? If you don't play against Iowa, will you see it? How can something that you don't see regularly affect you that much? If a pink locker room can make you visibly upset and offended, what does that say about you?

Thick skin anyone? Not anymore in this day and age of New Age Religion and individual rights.

I'm sorry if that seemed a bit harsh and possibly racist in any way. I didn't intend for that rant to be racist. I just get tired of people making issues out of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Piergallini

Thick skin anyone? Not anymore in this day and age of New Age Religion and individual rights.
    Can't we just blame Bob Boone?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

No, we cannot blame Bob Boone. Maybe Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs. But not Bob.

Too many people are too PC these days. Bunch of damn pansies. If you don't like it, guess what, there are planes that leave this country too. Get on one. don't come back.
    Gee people are touchy.. I wonder why?

Because it's always somebody elses fault. That's why everybody is sue happy these days. What do you mean by your comments WOY? Do you think I'm touchy?
    I may very well be. But it' not because I find the colors of my office offensive because they are a beige instead of white? I'm probably overreacting but I'm tired of the blame game.

Take for instance taking God out of everything, money, courts, etc. Why do we as the majority who believe in God and are Christian have to cave and cater to the minority who finds it offensive?

Turn Off Ads?