Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woman Ticketed for Sitting on a Playground Bench with No Kids

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Woman Ticketed for Sitting on a Playground Bench with No Kids

The slippery slope aspect bothers me, but I think more than anything, this a great test case for the police to point to to prove they aren't profiling in enforcing this rule. If the police limited enforcement of this rule to individuals who fit the profile of most pedophiles (male), it would eventually be overturned in court as discriminatory.

At the park that I go to most often, the prime benches with the most shade (this is south Texas, after all) are nearest to the playground. If one were tired out from walking/jogging/running/biking around the park, those benches would be the best place to sit. This would be an unfair rule in that instance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    To be honest, I rarely read the signs in parks. They're usually - dog owners must pick up poo, park closes after dusk or parents should accompany children on playground equipment. I'd never dream that there would be sign in a public park saying that I couldn't be there or sit on a bench.

I am amazed that one would assume that someone without children at a park is a pedophile. I go to our park quite a bit. I walk the trails with my headphones on for exercise. Occasionally I stop and watch a ballgame.

That makes me weird?
    Well, it's not so much that...
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    To be honest, I rarely read the signs in parks. They're usually - dog owners must pick up poo, park closes after dusk or parents should accompany children on playground equipment. I'd never dream that there would be sign in a public park saying that I couldn't be there or sit on a bench.

I am amazed that one would assume that someone without children at a park is a pedophile. I go to our park quite a bit. I walk the trails with my headphones on for exercise. Occasionally I stop and watch a ballgame.

That makes me weird?
    I'm with you, I walk in parks a lot. Sometimes I even sit on a swing for a few minutes and try to feel like a kid again. Maybe that does make me weird, but I hope it never makes me a criminal.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

She was on the news last night. I don't think she made a huge spectacle of it, but she did seem rather put out by it. Maybe she argued with the cop a wee bit, or maybe she didn't. The park did look like one mostly for kids, with some play equipment and the like. OTOH, I don't think we should rush to any kind of judgment without having all the facts, and we all know that giving all the facts isn't really high on the priority list for most media outlets.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I'm with you, I walk in parks a lot. Sometimes I even sit on a swing for a few minutes and try to feel like a kid again. Maybe that does make me weird, but I hope it never makes me a criminal.
    No, no... not at all, sava (and TC is not a criminal either!). It is great that adults can enjoy these parks too.

Unfortunately the criminals in society have caused the law-abiding citizens to have rules like this. Perhaps stricter punishments for sickos like child-molesters would help in these matters. Maybe the death penalty for these sickos would help? I don't know, but I too hate it when we have to make special laws/rules like this. However, if it helps protect kids, then I am fine with it. And I will find another place to park my adult butt.

Nice post, ORH.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    No, no... not at all, sava (and TC is not a criminal either!).
    That's what she'd like for you to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Well, it's not so much that...

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    (and TC is not a criminal either!).
    Not anymore ..... perhaps a bit in my youth.

That's when we were hanging out in the park drinking Miller ponies and smokin' doobs.

Now I'm old and boring.

There's irony there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    That's why the story makes no sense. Most experience police officers would do that. Unless she "refuse" than a ticket would be warranted.
    It all depends. Some police officers are not reasonable people.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

If I was in a park in New York, everyone is defaulted to a weirdo until proven otherwise, even myself.

Turn Off Ads?