Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

In the big scheme of things, this is probably no big deal, but I was a bit surprised to read it on the pages of a small-town local newspaper. Does this surprise any of you?

Follow the link, the scroll down to the eight paragraph, where the coach is quoted...

http://www.kystandard.com/articles/2...s/sports02.txt

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

Har!
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Re: Would you expect to see this word printed in a small-town newspaper sports story?

While the writer of the article no doubt got the quote correct, the editor should have zapped it. Even if the coach said it, that type of profanity needn't be printed. There are enough journalistic tools available out there to get his point across without printing a word like that.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

That is surprising, IMO. No reason not to use something like " 'We played like' (crap)" ... or even "We played like s***."

Excuse me if I sound like Carlin for a second.....

What does that mean anyway?... "to play like ****"

I can see someone saying we played bad, we didn't execute, we weren't on our game, we made too many mistakes - but to play like **** just doesn't make sense.

How is it suppose to play? Is it really the do-do's fault? It's not known for it's athletic prowess or ability.

Does the coach mean to say that our team just laid there, because that is really all **** does.

And that also brings up the term ****-faced. What does that mean?
    Last edited by GAC; 09-28-2005 at 06:19 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All part of the Decline of Western Civilization as we know it.

I was listening to WLW news a few weeks back and during an interview, a person said "I was really pissed off". I didn't know "pissed off" was OK to use on radio/TV. It's not up there with George Carlin's 7 words, but I didn't think it was used in polite company or the broadcast media.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee eee. I can't believe people actually care about this. There are bigger fish to fry than someone using a four letter word that most of us take one just about everyday. If we are regular. This is much about nothing, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

I was listening to WLW news a few weeks back and during an interview, a person said "I was really pissed off". I didn't know "pissed off" was OK to use on radio/TV. It's not up there with George Carlin's 7 words, but I didn't think it was used in polite company or the broadcast media.
    Actually "piss" was one of Carlin's 7 Dirty Words. But I think that's no longer true along with "tits".
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's funny.

I can't believe you guys are gettin' all apalled over it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It's funny.

I can't believe you guys are gettin' all apalled over it.
    In the juvinile sense it is. And it's nothing to get appalled over as you say. I don't see the big deal. As I say there are bigger things to worry about in the world, but that conversation leads to politics. :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

Yeah, censorship, that's a good thing.

People should say whatever they want. If they're publicly vilified for it, fine, but everyone has heard all the "BAD WORDS" by the time they're in the third-grade.

I think the true decline of Western Civilization will be when ppl. can't make a statement for fear of being censored because their WORDS are labelled as "Offensive."

Stop telling me what should offend me.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It's interesting how standards of acceptability change for certain words over the years. The word "piss" has long been deemed vulgar, but if you go back a few hundred years, it was a perfectly acceptable word. The King James version of the Bible (Am I allowed to reference that?) refers to males in one passage as "all those who pisseth against the wall." Now it seems that this word is coming more into the mainstream again. There are a few other words I have begun hearing on tv again lately which would have been unheard of a few years ago. I don't care for vulgar language myself, but often times what words are considered vulgar is a product of a particular cultural understanding. Just look at the words the Brits consider cuss words that Americans wouldn't consider to be so. What's so vulgar about "bloody"?

You can hear about any vulgarity over network TV these days just by tuning into sports. The microphones are everywhere and you can hear coaches and players utter epitaths all the time.

Remember a couple of years ago when they were interviewing Roy Williams after the NCAA Championship game after his Kansas team lost to Syracuse and he was rumored to be going to North Carolina. Bonnie Bernstein asked him about that and he didn't want to talk about it and she pressed him and he said, "I don't give a (crap) about Carolina." That was classic.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think it would be REALLY REALLY cool if they could find some way to offer some sort of premium subscription for sports where you could turn off the announcers and instead hear what is going on on the field. I'm talking about those big circular dishes that amplify noises.

It would be incredibly vulgar, but I also imagine that it would be quite captivating.

The chatter going on amongst baseball players (wouldn't you like to know what Sean Casey is REALLY blabbing about?)

The trash talking of the NBA / Strategy etc.

Trash talking / Conversation etc. etc. amongst NFL players

How cool would it be to get to hear what Chad Johnson is saying to a DB right b/f he burns him for a TD?

The players might guard what they say a bit more, but most topics would still be in fair play, I bet.

Some guys are so polished and polite off the field; wonder what their personality is like in the heat of battle, so to speak?

You pick it up sometimes, but usually you hear just enough to pique your curiousity.

It certainly wouldn't appeal to everybody, but I think it'd be awesome.

Turn Off Ads?