Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing your new $10 bill

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing your new $10 bill

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The color of money is getting more varied. A newly designed $10 bill was unveiled Wednesday featuring splashes of orange, yellow and red to go with the traditional green.

The $10 bill note became the third bill denomination to be jazzed up with colors as part of the government's effort to thwart counterfeiters and the ever-more sophisticated devices at their disposal.

"Thanks to the changes we've made in currency design, thanks to aggressive law enforcement led by the U.S.
    Secret Service and thanks to an informed public, we've been able to stay ahead of the counterfeiters," Treasury Secretary
    John Snow said during the unveiling ceremony on Ellis Island in New York harbor.

The location was selected to highlight one of the new features of the bill — a red image of the Statue of Liberty's torch on the left side of the portrait of Alexander Hamilton, the first secretary of the Treasury.

The $10 makeover followed changes to the $20 bill in 2003 and the $50 bill last year.

Don't look for the more colorful $10 to show up at your local ATM machine right away. The bills will not actually go into circulation until early next year. But the government was eager to publicize the new design so that people can prepare for the changes.

The $10 redesign was similar to the changes made to the $20 and the $50 but the colors were different because each denomination is being given its own set of colors to make finding the right bill in your wallet easier.

The orange, yellow and red colors for the $10 bill included the red torch on Hamilton's left and the phrase "We the people" in red on Hamilton's right. The background is a subtle shade of orange and there are small yellow 10s surrounding the torch.

Other security features that are included, some of which were first introduced in the 1990s during an earlier makeover, include a plastic security thread woven into the note that repeats "USA Ten" in tiny print. There is also a watermark that can be seen when the bill is held up to the light and color-shifting ink that makes the numeral "10" in the lower right-hand corner on the face of the bill change color from copper to green when the bill is tilted.

For the $20, the additional colors were blue, peach and a different shade of green while the $50 bill featured the added colors of blue and red.

Alexander Hamilton, the nation's first Treasury secretary, remains on the face of the bill but he is now outside of his old portrait frame with more of his shoulders showing. The other side of the bill still features the U.S. Treasury building in Washington.

Officials promised that America's currency will undergo makeovers every seven to 10 years to keep ahead of counterfeiters armed with the latest advances in computer technology that make digital counterfeiting easier.

"The ability to reproduce photographic images at work or at home on computers has really raised the bar as far as our challenges," said Thomas A. Ferguson, director of the engraving bureau.

The next bill to get the color treatment will be the $100 bill, which is expected to be redesigned in 2007.

At present, there are no plans to add color to the $1, the $2 or the $5 bills.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing your new $10 bill

The Feds should send everyone a sample $10 bill just so we can get used to it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'd be in favor of honoring some of our Twentieth Century Presidents (all deceased) on our currency, say the $10, $20 and $50 bills, but while the Presidents I have in mind include some from each major political party, I won't name any names, for fear of stirring up things again. I just think it would be appropriate to recognize some more recent leaders.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I'd be in favor of honoring some of our Twentieth Century Presidents (all deceased) on our currency, say the $10, $20 and $50 bills, but while the Presidents I have in mind include some from each major political party, I won't name any names, for fear of stirring up things again. I just think it would be appropriate to recognize some more recent leaders.
    Roosevelt's on the dime, Kennedy the half dollar, Eisenhower was on the silver dollar (think that may be out of circulation) and Woodrow Wilson was on the $100,000 bill (also out of circulation).
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

At least Alexander Hamilton's cranium on the new $ 10 bill doesn't creep me out like the one on the new $ 20 bill did a few year ago. I couldn't quite figure out who Andrew Jackson's coif reminded me of...

That is...until I turned on Sportscenter that night....

or, maybe it was when I watched that footage from the Stones concert...

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Roosevelt's on the dime, Kennedy the half dollar, Eisenhower was on the silver dollar (think that may be out of circulation) and Woodrow Wilson was on the $100,000 bill (also out of circulation).
    There are several other 20th Century Presidents, all deceased, and from each party, I'd consider......but I'm not naming them here.

Looks good.

I'm not in favor of changing who is on the money.
    Go Gators!

With so many Presidents, why do we have to limit just one President per bill? Why don't we do something like a Mount Rushmore and put 4 or 5 on a bill at a time?

You are aware that it doesn't have to be a president on the currency, right?

Obviously Hamilton is on the $10
    Salmon P. Chase was on the $10,000 bill
    And Sacagawea is on the gold dollar
    also, Susan B. Anthony was on the silver dollar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    You are aware that it doesn't have to be a president on the currency, right?

Obviously Hamilton is on the $10
    Salmon P. Chase was on the $10,000 bill
    And Sacagawea is on the gold dollar
    also, Susan B. Anthony was on the silver dollar
    Yeah, I knew that. How about Natalie Wood on the $10 bill?

Nice, another counterfeit bill to spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Yeah, I knew that. How about Natalie Wood on the $10 bill?
    I'm surprised there haven't been movements to put people such as Thomas Edison, Martin Luther King or General Patton on money.

Can't believe I forgot Ben Franklin in my list of non-presidents...doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    At least Alexander Hamilton's cranium on the new $ 10 bill doesn't creep me out like the one on the new $ 20 bill did a few year ago. I couldn't quite figure out who Andrew Jackson's coif reminded me of...

Andrew Jackson looks like the Headless Horseman from the movie "Sleepy Hollow." I always thought he looked particularly creepy on the $20 bills.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 09-28-2005 at 02:56 PM.

I say keep the Non-Presidents on stamps. Limit the money to Presidents and the ones that have already been honored.

Speaking of stamps, I do like the John Wayne ones.

Turn Off Ads?