Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lots of love for Bengals from sites that do power rankings

Re: Lots of love for Bengals from sites that do power rankings

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Well, they only gained 244 yards against the Bears. The good news was that they didn't need to go very far to score. But they struggled for much of the game against that defense.
    ...and still put up 24 points.

The Bears have one of th ebetter defenses in the league. If we can put up 24 points on them, I feel pretty good about things.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    ...and still put up 24 points.

The Bears have one of th ebetter defenses in the league. If we can put up 24 points on them, I feel pretty good about things.
    Let's not kid ourselves: blowing out a team--any team--on their property is an accomplishment not to be trifled with.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Well, they only gained 244 yards against the Bears. The good news was that they didn't need to go very far to score. But they struggled for much of the game against that defense.
    I usually grouse about the Buckeye's style of play with a lead (largely because Ohio State seems to think 3 pts is enough of a lead), but I think Lewis nailed it for the Bengals, given the game situation and the weather. Once Cincinnati jumped out to a lead, their play-calling became quite conservative from what I could tell. That's not a total explanation for the low yardage totals.

Looking at those rankings for the Browns, Vikings and Bears and I have to wonder if they aren't being subconsciously penalized for losing to the Bengals. As much as people have talked about the Bengals being improved, in the minds of many they are still the Bengals.

I'm not suggesting it wasnt' an accomplishment. I was only responding to the idea that the Bengals walked all over the Bears defense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Well, It looks like Jason Whitlock over at ESPN.com is keeping the faith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...k/050929&num=0

With average play from the QB position, the Chicago Bears could've upset the overhyped Cincinnati Bengals. Instead of average QB play, the Bears are stuck with rookie Kyle Orton, who threw five interceptions last week.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Next to REDS red, I bleed Bengals orange. BUT (ugh!)... I am being cautiously optimistic. The thing that keeps ringing in my head is, "Who have the Bengals played so far?" Hey, all games count the same. But Cleveland (sorry, GAC!), this year's Minnesota and Chicago do not bring fear into anyone. I am probably just jilted by years of reading about a new year and then getting the same old results... hard to blame a die-hard for being cautiously optimistic at this point!

With that being said, I also consider that the Bengals have to finish 7-6 to be 10-6 for the season. 10-6 should get them into that thing called... uh, ummm, err, THE PLAYOFFS (hard for REDS/Bengals diehards to remember that P-word).

WHO-DEY!

p.s. - despite my cautious optimism, keep the positives coming macro!
    Hey! I may be a die-hard Dawg fan, but I said the best thing the Bengals organization ever did was hire Lewis. And I said that back when they did it.

I think the Bengals will go 12-4 (maybe 13-3), but I'll stick with 12-4.

Now - as for my Browns.... I'm impressed by what I have seen so far.The changes and clearing out of deadwood in the off-season, the hiring of Savage, Crennel, and Carthon are pluses, and have put us on the right track.

We have vastly improved our Offensive line with a couple guys who have Super Bowl experience. Droughns is a solid RB, and I like our receiving corp (even with Winlsow out).

We have to quit shooting ourselves in the foot. We had 21 pts lost in that Bengal game (2 TDs called back for stupid penalties, and a dropped TD pass in the endzone).

We were 14 pt underdogs going into Indy's in-door stadium, and played them boys tough. Not upset over a 13-6 loss. Again - we shot ourselves in the foot with the STUPID taunting calls, a TD called back on a questionable call, and a TD catch dropped by Bryant (who otherwise has had a good year).

Going into last week's games, the Bengals had the #1 offense, and the Browns was 4th. Palmer was #2 in QB rating, and Dilfer was 4th.

Our problem, which everyone knew about going in, would be our defnese (especially run defense). Trying to get acclimated to a new system (3-4) takes time and the right personnel (lnebackers). But Andre Davis his doing a great job. Leads the NFL in tackles. But I like the attitude and approach that Crennel has brought to this organization (similar to what Lewis has done). Both of these coaches are ethical and quality guys.

I long for the days when both the Browns and Bengals are competitive power houses once again. The competition is good.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-29-2005 at 09:49 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Stupid TSN - they have them rated at #11.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature.asp?fid=824

But then again, what do 'us' Canucks know?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    Stupid TSN - they have them rated at #11.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/feature.asp?fid=824

But then again, what do 'us' Canucks know?
    You guys still produced Warren Moon, so that's not a bad effort. Plus, your country is home to my second favorite sport after baseball. I like baseball, hockey, and football, in that order, but if the Bengals keep playing well, that sport might move into a tie for second.

Jason Whitlock < Andy Furman
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sounds to me like Jason Whitlock and Randy Cross must be dating. If Cross would have been any more anti-Bengals in the tv broadcast the other day he might as well have thrown on a Bears cap and a Walter Payton throwback jersey.

Whitlock falls into the category of sports fan/analyst/columnist that is gonna have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the belief that the Bengals are a respectable team now. And to add even more frustration to it, when they finally lose a game this year, even if it isn't till the 10th game of the year, guys like Whitlock will say "told ya so!"

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Sounds to me like Jason Whitlock and Randy Cross must be dating.
    Make it a threesome... with Paul Zimmerman, the supposed "NFL expert" at Sports Illustrated. He had predicted the Bengals to lose against both the Vikings and da Bears. WRONG! I noticed that he did not touch the Bengals-Texans game in this week's SI. Evidently he cannot seem to get himself to say/write that the Bengals will win.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

One thing that Bengal and Brown fans have in common (or should at least) is their hatred of the Steelers.

I'd drag my wife by the hair over two miles of broken glass to spit on a Steeler jersey!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Well, It looks like Jason Whitlock over at ESPN.com is keeping the faith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...k/050929&num=0
    Oh, and he added this little nugget:

If the Bengals get by Houston this weekend, which I don't expect, they'll lose on the road at Jacksonville.
    Is he on drugs? I seldom ever send emails to writers, but I've just got to hear his justification on this one.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Well, It looks like Jason Whitlock...
    Having seen that guy a few times on The Sports Reporters, my opinion is that he's a complete imbecile.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Oh, and he added this little nugget:

Is he on drugs? I seldom ever send emails to writers, but I've just got to hear his justification on this one.
    Oh I'm getting ready to email him right now too, can't wait to see the response, if he even bothers to reply.

Turn Off Ads?