Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This One Is For Married Men

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: This One Is For Married Men

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    My wife is a "pack-rat." I am a "chucker." Marty would call it a "titanic struggle." She actually has a trunk in our basement with every note she and her friends passed in high school.
    We're the opposite. She will throw anything away that doesn't have a "practical" purpose. Even that depends on how you define "practical." She once threw away an unopened box of Wheaties with Johnny Bench on the cover. She told me one day, as innocently as can be, "I found some old box of cereal in the closet, so I pitched it. Why were you keeping an old box of cereal? There's no way it could still be good." Five minutes later I was on ebay paying $25.00 for another one, which arrived a week later and was promptly placed on the shelf next to the bobbleheads. I told her that every time something got "chucked" that I would simply spend whatever necessary to replace it. Now when she cleans the house, she just puts anything questionable (to her) in a box and asks me when I get home what can be thrown away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Mrs has her systems, the check book, the laundry, cleaning, the mail!

I have mine..I think (of course) that mine are superior, we have entered a period of a cold war, when I do the laundry, check book anything else, I do it my way, she does the same.

I think she's plotting though
    Go Gators!

My wife has nothing to do with running the finances, balancing the checkbook, paying the bills, etc. I wish she would take it over.

She just goes out and writes checks and uses the debit card and hope I have the money in the acount.

She does a darn god job at the grocery though. It's just all those stores in-between.

And she is an excellent remodeler. The woman knows how to interior decorate and coordinate. She seems to want to do it every few years. We've lived in this home for 7 years, and we have gutted and remodeled it twice. I hope this last time last awhile.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    She seems to want to do it every few years. We've lived in this home for 7 years, and we have gutted and remodeled it twice. I hope this last time last awhile.
    Sorry to say that it's not, my sister in law is the same, the house will be remodeled every 2-4 years.

Have fun
    Go Gators!

She won't let me get a dirt bike. She feels that since it's not a family "toy", then I shouldn't be getting something that I will be the only one having fun with.

I should go ahead and get it anyway. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

My wife pays every bill and keeps track of all the money. I want it that way in case something ever happened to me, she'll know everything about running the finances of the household. She didn't want to do it at first, but I've been insistant about it. She keeps everything on Quicken and has gotten very good at it.

Plus, I'm gone a lot. She's also in charge of all interior decorations, except my office and the electronics.

She works in an antique shop, so stuff is always coming and going without my knowledge. She'll wait until I notice something new before she says anything, it's her little test. So I generally try to scan the place every so often to avoid the shame of not noticing something she's proud of.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Include hairdos and jewelry in that scan.

Makes all the routine posts.

I've started putting a post it note in the car when my wife goes gets her hair cut.

Now if I get a hair cut and she doesn't notice, and I bring it up, she'll say, "Like I'd really say anything after all the times you don't notice mine?"

I think I drive her more nuts, but in driving her nuts and having her point it out, it drives me nuts.

By the way, if you ever want to get in a lot of trouble, when she brings up how you are driving her nuts, say "It's not a drive, it's a short putt."
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Man, I feel your pain. My wife kicked me out of the house last night so she could do her favorite "hobby," clean. She didn't want me to get in the way. This happens sometimes every week, but for sure every other week. I offer to help, but it is never good enough. Ugh.

Most of the "drive me nuts" things result from the differences in the way we were raised. My mom worked- the three boys had to house clean, wash dishes, do laundry, etc. And we were taught by a woman who insisted on standards that were kept in her workplace...a HOSPITAL. That, and my earliest professional experience was as a firefighter, where one learns that the best way to not be hated in the workplace is to clean up after oneself and to put stuff away in it's proper place.

My wife, on the other hand, was raised by a woman who did EVERYTHING. From what I can tell, my wife never actually loaded a washing machine, cooked for herself, or cleaned a toilet until she was in college. Thirteen years into our marriage, and her efforts are still evolving, to put it kindly.

Okay, now you know what kind of baggage we both bring into this. I'm a teutonic, orderly whack job and she's a former slob/slacker/artisan.
    Here goes:

Leaving dirty dishes in the kitchen sink. She cooks, which is nice, but does she have to leave every utensil, bowl and pan in the sink so that I have to move it just to fill the dogs' water bowls?

Washing dishes, then not drying them. When she does get around to washing the stuff, she leaves everything in the sink to dry. Forever. Hello!? There is a place for those things, and they won't put themselves there.

Using tools and not putting them away where they belong. Nothing like starting a project with a half an hour of looking for the tape measure.

Using mixing bowls instead of buckets when she cleans. I bought a bunch of $1.59 buckets at Lowes and pleaded with her to stop this insanity. She acts like I'm a nutbag. I may never stop throwing up over this one.

Running the dishwasher when there are about ten dishes that would fit in it, but which are scattered around the dining room and kitchen.

Treating the minivan like a closet. Need one of the kids' jackets? Check the floor of the van.

Storing things on the kitchen countertops. I more than doubled the counterspace in our kitchen and it seems like I always have to move something when I want to cook.

Leaving nick nacks on the window frames. Toy frogs, ceramic elephants, glittery blobs of something that one of the kids made, if it's less than two inches wide, she places it on the top of the bottom window frame. Then, when I want to open the window, I have to move all of it or risk a downpour of chotskies, dried glue and hardened nuggets of play-dough.

Rubber Bands on the doorknobs. About half our doorknobs are caked with the crust of old, dried out rubber bands. Nice.

Leaving the laundry in baskets. "So close, so CLOSE.", is what I think whenever I see a laundry basket next to the bed, piled high with folded laundry. If I don't do it, the stuff will never make it to a dresser drawer or a closet.

Thinking that the things she "cleans" are actually clean. There are some rules to cleaning: Move stuff out of the way, Start with clean water, Wash and Rinse, etc. These commonly held principles seem still to allude my lovely wife. I wouldn't trade her for the world and I feel lucky every day to be married to her. But for reasons other than her domestic credentials.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 10-01-2005 at 11:58 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

It's Saturday and the wife had to work. She sat all the kids down last night and gave them their marching orders for cleaning the house. She puts my 14 yr old daughter in charge and this girl takes it seriously.

I'm sitting in the den doing bills and I can hear her out there barking orders and yelling instructions at her two brothers (your Mother has trained you well in that line ).

Here's another one. We don't have cars, we have drivable purses.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I adore filth, and would be happy living in it. As long as it's my own filth. Sadly, my wife won't tolerate it, so I have to pick up every once and a while. Also, I hate bugs, and you have to clean in the city or you get bugs.

My wife does the laundry about 90% of the time, and I do the grocery shopping about 90% of the time. It's a division of labor we sort of settled on, since she can't drive.

We didn't have a dishwasher for most of my childhood, nor did my wife and I have one for the first couple years of marriage. It is a godsend, and don't know how we survived without it.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Include hairdos and jewelry in that scan.

Oh yeah. I pity the fool who misses a hairdo.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Also, I hate bugs, and you have to clean in the city or you get bugs.
    We live in the country. I was raised a child of the suburbs. My wife was raised on a dairy farm. In the country you have alot of bugs...especially spiders. Especially when we have a woods bordering our property. I put a couple agents down around the outside foundation of the house that does a pretty good job of keeping the bugs out of the house.

But this year we have had a problem with ants. I think they are wearing minature gas masks, because they have been all over the place.So my iwfe has really gotten on the kids who like to leave plates of partially eaten food in their bedrooms, on their nightstands, and especially on the kitchen countertop.

I work 3rd shift. And when I came home from work the other morning, inwhich the wife and kids have already left for work/school, there were ants all over in the sink putting a hurtin' on the kid's bowls/breakfast cereal.

I have to say I quite enjoyed standing there with the sprayer washing them down the drain while the disposal was running. You could hear the screams for miles!

My wife does the laundry about 90% of the time, and I do the grocery shopping about 90% of the time.
    Women seem to think that men can't do laundry the right way. WE are relied upon to be able to do about everything else when needed - but not the laundry. And I agree that there are some out there that have given the rest of us a bad rep.

I know perfectly well how to sort colors from whites, and not to wash delicates with my jeans. I also know that most of today's washers have a softener dispenser that will dispense it during the cycle at the appropriate time.

But they now how this aerosol stuff called Wrinkle Remover. Once you take the clothes out of the dryer and put it on a hanger, you spray this on the clothes and it magically removes wrinkles. So much for ironing huh? Of course she only uses it on her and the kid's clothes. She nows I'm a lost cause. I'll take a shirt out of the dryer and put it on - the wrinkles will come out oafter time. I'm married - I'm no longer out there trying to impress anyone.

We didn't have a dishwasher for most of my childhood, nor did my wife and I have one for the first couple years of marriage. It is a godsend, and don't know how we survived without it.
    My wife still washes the dishes before putting them in the washer. What's up with that?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-02-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Turn Off Ads?